1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last book you've read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 26, 2018.

1. My taste varies from time to time and depends on my overall mood and life situation, but generally i like things that are imaginative, atmospheric and have a touch of peculiarity. I also like characters that are not black&white, but are more multidimensional, and bit of grimness and darkness in the story. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom though.

A few movies that comes to my mind which i have enjoyed:

American psycho - In this movie i think the psychopathic nature and mindscape of Bateman is presented well.
    The movies by Yorgos Lanthimos - In these movies the stories are often weird, and the characters have interestingly awkward way of communicating. They often involve a darker, sometimes taboo aspect in them.
    Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy - Characters, plot and atmosphere.
    Black Swan - Beautiful, cathartic and tragic story. I guess there was also something relatable in the main characters neurotic overachieving and fears.

Btw if anyone is interested in any of those, i should mention that the batman trilogy is the only one without a trigger warning for nofappers and if i remember correctly, "the Lobster" by Lanthimos too. /Edit. Just rewatched the Lobster, and i didn't remember correctly earlier.

The only fiction books i've read in adulthood are The Lord of The Rings- trilogy, and 2 The Witcher books. I liked those especially, because the way the details were described was great. It was extremely precise occasionally, but not in a boring way.

Perhaps this gave some idea?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
    Deleted Account and Moon Shot like this.
  2. Heck yeah! :)

3. Hm, interesting. I'm not sure if these are necessarily exactly what you would be looking for, but as far as what I've read and enjoyed, these are the ones that come to mind and are closest to what you've decribed (ordered by which ones I think you would like best first):

- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (very multidementional characters, and a bit dark. There are a lot of dark themes explored, like domestic abuse and murder and alcoholism and cheating spouses. Minor trigger warning, as there is some sexual language.)
    - 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher (deal with the tragedy of losing a friend to suicide, and what brought her to that decision, and how it effected the people she left behind, particularly a boy who was in love with her. Its told from both the perspective of the boy and also the girl who killed herself. Again, trigger warning, as there are a few moderately graphic descriptions of sexual assault.)
    - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie and want to read the book. This came to mind what you said atmospheric.)
    - And maybe The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins? (You probably already know what this is... but it has some dark themes and dynamic characters and it's set in a dystopian world, which you might like.)
    - The Savior's Champion by Jenna Moreci (this one has a lot of romance, so I'm not sure if that's your thing, but its also set in a dystopian world and deals with some darker subjects. Theres a fair amount of battle and violence, and also a bit of sexy stuff so trigger warning there as well.)

I'll also toss in The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, even though I haven't read it yet. The movie is definitely dark and very unique. The book description says "It is the story of a teenage girl who, after being raped and murdered, watches from her personal Heaven as her family and friends struggle to move on with their lives while she comes to terms with her own death." As I said, I haven't read the book, but based on the movie I think you'd probably find this one really interesting.

4. The setting in The Lovely Bones sound interesting. I'll consider that. Thanks for the recommendations!

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. The Selection
    The Elite
    The One

by Kiera Cass - 10/10

Oh my gosh, you guysssssss! If anybody here has the slightest interest in something Hunger-Games-esque, but with royalty and more romance, read this series! I'm dying!

I've been sick this weekend, so I basically read all three of these books since Friday, and I can't get enough of them. They were billed to me as a sort of fluffy contemporary romance story that is a hit Bachelor-ish and light, so I wasnt really expecting anything more than a fun, easy read. But oh my gosh! So much more than that! There's corrupt royalty, groups of rebel alliances fighting against the palace and murdering people, people getting caned for falling in love with the wrong person, an outdated caste system that the rebels want to overturn, and an awesome young woman discovering how strong she is and how she is the perfect Queen the country needs to overthrow the corruption and show compassion to the lower classes. It's incredible. So so much more than a fluffy romance. I was not expecting all of that.

So many things to love about this story, I can't wait to do a formal review, even though I'm way behind the times and most YA readers already know about these books. But still, I have to gush, because they're so good. Thankfully there are still like... 4 more books, I think, that are companions to this series, so I'm excited to read those someday too.

Overall.... despite being sick, it was a pretty great weekend. Lol

6. Night by Elie Wiesel - 8/10

Absolutely sad story but fantastic. The part where Elie losing his father was haunting.

7. Wow, they should hire you to sell their books lol...or maybe they already have..dun dun dun ;)

8. Uncomfortably Numb

Uncomfortably Numb Fapstronaut

Latest Jack Reacher... it will be the last I read!
    Same old, same old

9. Haha they definitely dont need me. It's already a really popular, well-known series in the YA community. I'm way behind the times. :p

10. Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay 6/10

I love the Dexter books, but this one definitely wasnt my favorite. I just wasnt as invested in the plot of this one. The writing is still great, as usual, and I love the characters and the audio by Jeff Lindsay is great, but the plot was just a bit lackluster for me this time. That happens sometimes, though. I remember some seasons of the show being slightly less interesting to me than others. But still a positive experience, over all, and it made me laugh out loud a few times.

11. Damn, you read a lot of books fast lol.

12. Shakespeare's Star Wars Episode IV (Ian Doescher) - 10/10
    Saw this at the library and thought "what the heck". Turned out to be a great book (play?) and I already started on the next one (The Empire Striketh Back).
    Yes, sometimes the text is a little hard to understand, but I'm familiar enough with the plot, that I can always figure out what's supposed to be going on.
    It's really cool how Doescher has been able to transform Star Wars into a play that reads like Shakespeare could have written it while keeping in everything from the movie.
    Would recommend to anyone that likes Shakespeare or Star Wars or Science Fiction or plays or books or reading or breathing. :)
    (I was not compensated in any way for this review. :))

13. Lol well the Dexter ones I'm listening to on audio during work, so that goes faster.

14. Oh, that explains some of it. :)

15. I only read a couple of Dexter books but I much preferred the TV series.

The last book I read to completion was Russell Brand's "Freedom From Our Addictions". It's a decent book with some good info but also some unfortunate triggering language.

16. So far, I agree. I really like the books, and the writing style is something special for sure, but if I have to compare, I like the show a lot better. I'm watching the show again too right now, to get my fix of all the things that arent in the books. Lol

17. pranav02

pranav02 Fapstronaut

Models - Mark Manson. 10/10. Such an eye-opener, just incredible <3

18. Shakespeare's Star Wars Episode V [The Empire Striketh Back] (Ian Doescher) - 10/10
    After the first book, my hopes were really high for the second one, and it didn't disappoint.
    Yoda speaks in haikus, and Doescher added in some monologues to give more insight into Lando's character.
    I didn't feel like it was as good as Ep IV, but it wasn't bad enough to get a lower score (maybe 9.5).
    Would still recommend this book to almost anyone.

19. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

Just finished "A Rising Man" by Abir Mukherher. It's a old school murder mystery / detective story set in colonial India, just after the 1st World War. It's a good story, and an interesting insight into the relationship between the British colonial powers and the native Indian population, with the rising tide of nationalism and the call for independence, from the likes of Ghandi, and less peaceful groups.
    I'm currently reading something completely different, but equally enjoyable... The Peripheral, by William Gibson. I could try to explain it, but to do that I'd have to understand it myself! Near(ish) future Sci-Fi, a tricky, trippy, but brilliant read. The way Gibson uses language is incredible.

20. Dexter in the Dark 8/10

I definitely liked this one better than the last one. The spiritual stuff was kinda weird, but I did enjoy the bits that were written sort of from the perspective of the Dark Passenger. There was a lot of interesting psychological introspection.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the kids being so involved in Dexter's dark life. Its interesting, but it makes him a little less likeable as a character. But at the same time, while I think the Dexter in the TV shows is a bit more likeable and human, I actually think the Dexter in the books is probably more realistic, in terms of people who are psychopaths. And I think Jeff Lindsay does a pretty good job of exploring that.