1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last book you've read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Lol I dont have that much patience

2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Deception Point - Dan Brown 9/10

Always like Dan Brown's stuff, really gets you thinking. The great thing is Dan always mixes it up, there is always some interesting subject matter and no two books are the same. Deception point catalogs the story of our familiar protagonist 'Professor Langdon' as they discover an colossal alien like fossil / asteroid buried deep within the polar ice caps. Asking the question did life start on earth or was it brought on a falling asteroid, or is it something else altogether!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I'll just preface this by saying, obviously I haven't read all these books over the weekend, but some of these reviews are of books I read ages ago.

Kiterunner - 10/10
    The kiterunner is a classic and literary heavy weight. Very different to what I normally read. Set in Afghanistan where the Taliban rule. A story about a boy and his brother as they struggle to overcome the tyranny of totalitarian rule - the only happy memory is that of kiterunning when they were kids. Haunted by a terrible mistake of his past where he watched his brother get raped, he is now confronted with a similar situation except in adulthood and with another child. This time, it is too costly to sit back and watch. The stakes are high, gripping from start to finish.

4. I almost didn't either, it sounded better in theory.

5. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

The Sober Truth by Lance Dodes MD and Zachary Dodes his son - 7/10

It was no nonsense scientific truth so like you can't argue with it in terms of being accurate. Also like it was a debunking exercise so it was kind of bland yet it reminded me addiction is all in the mind (physical addiction IS NOT true addiction) and it is more valuable to look within than look without for a solution.

6. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

I used to binge on Brown. Loved that thing.

7. Royals by Rachel Hawkins - 10/10

Probably not a book many people here would enjoy, but oh my flipping gosh, I LOVED this book. It's a YA romance and it was so well written and hilarious. The protagonist is super funny and witty and the narrative made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. And the romance was totally my jam. I love the "fake love turns real" trope, and that's basically exactly what this story was, and it was really well done.

8. Yay! The mods moved this thread back to off topic ^_^ thanks, guys!

9. Cool :)

10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter (audiobook version) 9/10

I love the show Dexter, and I've been wanting to read the books. I've listened to a few on audio, but my library only had a couple and they were both from late in the series. But now I'm trying out an audiobook subscription, so I have access to all of them. Yay!

Anyway, I gave it a 9 mostly because I didnt care for the ending, and I felt the show did it better, especially pacing wise. Of course it's hard to judge when uve already seen and loved the show, but there were two big things that happen at the end of this book that dont happen in the show until like... season 7 or later. So idk how I feel about that....

But aside from that, I absolutely love these books. Jeff Lindsay's writing style is so unique and sarcastic and I love it. I've never read anything quite like it. And of course the story and the character of Dexter is so interesting and unique as well.

Also, the author does the narration for the audiobook, which is always fun :) although if Michael C. Hall did it, that would probably be even more awesome.

11. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

The last book I read was 'The Power In Prayer' by Charles Spurgeon. It had a positive impact on my soul. Spurgeon takes the reader to all kinds of scripture to prove his points [concerning prayer]. It's not a long book, but it's full of wisdom. I'd give it a 9/10.

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Love Charles Spurgeon!

drac16 likes this.
  13. The brain that changes itself - by Norman Doidge, 10/10.

Inspiring book with inspiring stories of people who have had some major damage to their central nervous system or some psychological traumas, and with proper therapy has managed to get back to pretty normal. People born blind who got to see shapes by inserting electrodes to their tongue to receive image from camera, studies on how baby brain develops worse in a noisy environment, surprisingly well functioning woman with only half brain and all this kind of astonishing stuff is found in this book. It's written in a way that makes it easy to understand for everyone.

PS. Reading this topic made me realize that the fiction on my bookshelf is very scarce :D

14. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Carry on, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse- 9/10

Can always count on good ol' Jeeves and Bertram Wooster to lift the spirits- I feel more British than I should. That last chapter in Jeeves's perspective was surprising, intriguing, though somewhat disappointing; that the gentleman's gentleman was so adept at manipulating old Bertie, even if I should have expected that.

It's a quick read, and I'd give this book a 9, though it is definitely 10-worthy. I'd like my rating to have some meaning, and meaning comes with scarcity. (flashback: The Fault in Our Stars.) This is the 2nd book published in the Jeeves series by date, though the publishers didn't seem to find the logic in using a serial number to help a reader out. I'm thankful to my friend for reading this book first, and letting me know that it contains spoilers for the first book (The Inimitable Jeeves), and is therefore a continuous series; I assumed I could pick up any of these short stories and start reading. However, the series is as follows:

(citation: from here)

P. G. Wodehouse is a gifted comedian, and it shows through his words. His style of writing is engaging, amusing and frequently downright hilarious, though he rarely cracks a straightforward joke. Definitely a satisfying read, I recommend anyone with a good amount of 'grey cells' to try it out.

15. It seems like most people here who read tend to read non fiction. I'm not really that into non fiction, though. If I want to hear something motivational or whatever, i usually get that in the form of podcasts or YouTube videos or something, because then I can multitask.

16. Ugh, I hate that! I just started reading a series, and even when you look online to find out what order to read the books in, everyone has different opinions about what's best. It's super confusing. Idk why they dont just put an ordered list in the front of the books.

17. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

I know right! Ironically, books by Agatha Christie, for example, which don't follow any set pattern, at least have a list at the back for the specific series, but I was this close to having a plot revealed.

18. I would like to read fiction now and then, but for some reason i think that i would be disappointed in the content so the choosing part is difficult. Maybe i just should prove myself wrong. Or right.

19. And then there were none 9/10. A really good thriller/mystery.

20. Give it a shot! Do you watch movies much? Do you know what kind of stories you enjoy? I might have a suggestion for a good book to start with, if I knew what kind of stuff you like.