1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Procrastination

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Pepa, May 23, 2019.

1. Pepa

Pepa Fapstronaut

Hi guys,
    what about procrastination?I am in rebooting stage, my work is on the PC.
    Now I have a lot of free time to sitting in front of the PC and procrastinate a lot.
    I have to call to my clients and make a lot of administrative, study, but i postpone it a lot.
    I work at home, alone. Do you have some advices for it?How to start a work and make it 8 hours a day?
    Thanks

Kotn likes this.
  2. bar69

bar69 Fapstronaut

I think u should keep 'business as usuall', Don't Try avoid

3. Pepa

Pepa Fapstronaut

thanks, what is this?some book or something else? I googled it and found some phrases only

4. Kotn

Kotn Fapstronaut

I used to work a lot from my laptop at home. I have discovered that I get so much more work done outside of the house. Now I practically live at the local coffee shop and Starbucks now. I get this motivation and competitive feeling when I am surrounded by other people studying and working hard. Being surrounded by people completely takes away the urge to look at P or M.

I was always against going to Starbucks and drinking expensive coffee. But now the $4 drink is a small price to pay for the amount of work I get done.

5. Pepa

Pepa Fapstronaut

thanks, for me better to work at home, people around me interrupt me :-( My job is about phoning,I have to make a lot of phone calls.I am more concentrated at home,but maybe PC is a problem, or maybe boring job I dont like my work

Kotn likes this.
  6. bar69

bar69 Fapstronaut

Pepa
    Im saying just keep do what u usually did

7. Kotn

Kotn Fapstronaut

I understand. I still recommend you try it though. There are some business people who sit outside my coffee shop and make calls. When it gets noisy I put on my headphones with classical music. Nobody has interrupted me so far.

Maybe you should look into programs that limit your computer use. I use focusme. It costs 2.50 a month but its really worth it for me. I think there are lots of free programs out there. You can completely block websites or applications. Or you can limit how much time you can spend on particular websites or applications per day or week. It's like a coach inside your computer that reminds you to stop wasting time.

The best part is that it has a chart that breaks down how much time you spend on certain websites and programs. You can pinpoint exactly where your problem lies.

8. Pepa

Pepa Fapstronaut

yes, but I am the person who has to phone , and it is interruptive for me to make business phone calls when people are around...maybe I am little bit shy, or not concentrated, for example I cant phone in the bus, i dont hear it.

yes but i will now the passport to unblock it, no? :)
    Sounds good, but I know myself...to make bothering phone calls to potential customers is little bit unpleasant work, without PC I will exercise, or reading a book instead of phoning :)

9. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

"yes but" is not going to help.

I understand you are doing several different activities:
    - study
    - make calls
    - admin stuff
    - other work

Structure your 8 hours during the day so that you spend as little time as possible at home in front of the PC: make phone calls at home in your quiet space, leave home for, as suggested by @Kotn, a coffee spot to do admin and study and other work, while listening to Mozart.

And no more "yes but" ;)

10. Kotn

Kotn Fapstronaut

Yss you know the password but you can make it random and very long. I made a random 300 character password. Long enough where it's just easier to do the work instead of typing the password.

There is also an option to make a password and give it to your friend so they are the only ones that can unlock the program for you.

Yeah I understand the calling part. You need to be in a quiet and private place for that. I worked in an office where a big part of it was calling clients. But I wasn't on the phone the enitre 8 hours. I guess what I'm suggesting is try to dedicate a day of the week or part of a day to get out of the house. At the very least take breaks and take a walk outside or something. Don't cage yourself like an animal.

Staying in the house will drive you crazy. You will be tempted to M.

11. drbt444

drbt444 Fapstronaut

Google the "pomodoro" technique - great for procrastination and long spells at the screen.

12. Pepa

Pepa Fapstronaut

thanks,
    maybe the biggest problem here is this part of work when I have to search for potential clients and call them, it sounds me like bothering people and maybe that is the reason I procrastinate this. But it is my job and no place to change it.

It is difficult to reorganize my time in front of PC, because I have to work 8 hours a day and i have to sit in frot of PC or be outside in the potential customers, which is also boring and there is also feeling like I bother them.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  13. Kotn

Kotn Fapstronaut

You have mentioned it several times in your posts. I think you hate your job.

We've all been there. Stuck somewhere that we dislike but stay because it pays the bills. But we realize we can't stay there forever.

My gym coach told me the best advice to getting in shape. I think it translates well to life. "To see results you're going to have to do things you have never ever done before."

In your case, you have gotten some good suggestions from the other posters. Try it out. We believe in you.

properWood likes this.