1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-nup agreement

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Banjaxed, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Banjaxed

Banjaxed Fapstronaut

hi NoFap, I have a strange question for you.

I am a PA. My SO and I are about 5 months post d-day and she is struggling through the same question of whether to “stay or go”, like many others. We have 4 kids and I am the sole breadwinner, and I know that one of the factors influencing her is what would happen if we split. Would she have to go back to work etc, leaving the kids with a nanny.

Now my view is that we made a deal and a life together. We both wanted kids and both agreed that we wanted them to have their mum at home. She is a lawyer (like me) and put that career on hold for our family, and I couldn’t have gotten to where I am without her support.

Of course I’ve reassured her that he won’t be left high and dry were she to seek a divorce but clearly my credibility is at an all time low and we have witnessed too many messy divorces for her to give that much credence. So I’m wondering whether to offer her some kind of agreement, ahead of any divorce, to say that we would share whatever I earn (net of our costs) 50/50, or something like that.

Just wondering what people think before I offer it. I don’t want a divorce, but I want the only obstacle to that step to be me and my behaviour, not practical stuff (which won’t lead to reconnection and intimacy, only resentment)

2. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

I mean, I think that's a very sweet gesture. Just think it through, make sure it's right for you. I know finances was one of those factors when I was considering staying or leaving. I think you can offer it to her, or even just bring it up in a conversation and see her thoughts on it. Maybe it will make her feel more safe? Maybe she will tell you she doesn't want it? Who knows. But as an SO I think it is a sweet gesture.