1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

OVERTHINKING...IT KILLS.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by StruggleR_8, Aug 21, 2018.

1. StruggleR_8

StruggleR_8 Fapstronaut

I have been PMO addict at least for 4 years, but it was not so difficult to quit PMO than i thought. (Done 120days of no PMO straight). What i didn't thought about was my problem of overthinking which held me for taking any life changing decision of my life. It very deeply embedded in my mind don't know what to do. Been through all the cure online but it doesn't help. If anyone could give some advice on that it will be great.

Deleted Account and Mike Bonanno like this.
  2. sparkz

sparkz Fapstronaut

My suggestions are cut back on caffeine (it makes the brain harder to switch off) and allocate yourself a 'worry period' each day, where for half an hour you write out all your worries. The rest of the day you don't allow yourself to worry. Because as you know, over-thinking everything doesn't help us make decisions. Hope this helps.

3. Ian 870521

Ian 870521 Fapstronaut

I agree with what sparkz said. Write down the things you worried really help and you have to remind yourself that taking action is more important than just thinking.

sparkz, Hitto and StruggleR_8 like this.
  4. Anti-ordinary

Anti-ordinary Fapstronaut

@StruggleR_8 I think you should try meditation. After a while of meditation you are able to control your thoughts and due to this you may feeling calmer as a person. I use an App called HeadSpace on my phone, its great for meditation. Why not give it a try?

5. StruggleR_8

StruggleR_8 Fapstronaut

Im using that for about 3 weeks. Its not so effective for whole day of peace.

6. Anti-ordinary

Anti-ordinary Fapstronaut

@StruggleR_8 Ok. To be honest I also have a problem with overthinking, but maybe it's to as bad as yours. Maybe its your mindset that isn't right. Next time you want something, set a goal to get it (make sure its a big goal), when you start overthinking just keep yourself motivated and remember all the great things and the joy that your goal will bring you when you will eventually achieve it. Picture yourself being happy with your goal. When you start overthinking write it down on paper, all the negativity, keep the positives to yourself though. Throw the paper away even if you like burn it. Go for a run, make sure you are exhausted afterwards, come back step into a freezing shower, come out and think what good things you've just done for your body. If overthinking again, put the negativity on paper and throw it in the bin or burn it. Focus on your final goal, picture you being happy with your goal.

I think also try to keep yourself busy with anything, whatever it is. Learn something new like a language, walk a dog,go running, go to the gym, read a book, go to the park, go to the cinema, meet up with friends, go to the circus. DO WHATEVER IT IS AS LONG AS YOU ARE FOCUSED ON THE ACTIVITY NOT THINKING. At the end of the day come home and think of what good you've done. If negativity and overthinking fills your head right it down throw the paper or burn it. Also screaming might help.

Man I hope any of this helps you.

7. StruggleR_8

StruggleR_8 Fapstronaut

Thanku for every bit of advice. Will try them out definitely. Hope it helps. Thanks man !!

Anti-ordinary likes this.
  8. mgz069

mgz069 Fapstronaut

StruggleR_8 likes this.
  9. StruggleR_8

StruggleR_8 Fapstronaut

Author ?

10. mgz069

mgz069 Fapstronaut

Paul David

StruggleR_8 likes this.
  11. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

I recommend the book "The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload" by Daniel J. Levitin. Preview here. I enjoyed the audiobook from a local library.

Anyway, maybe you're not the problem. These days, there's just too much information, and too many decisions to make, which leads to cognitive overload.

Similar to PMO addiction, this unnatural flood of dopamine from information overload enhances the brain's mind-wandering mode vs. the stay-on-task mode, making it difficult to make decisions.

The book goes further with other stories and different strategies (satisficing, prioritizing, triage, etc.)

Hope you find what you're looking for.

StruggleR_8 likes this.