1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Overcoming Shyness and Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by TheNewWolf, May 14, 2019.

1. TheNewWolf

TheNewWolf Fapstronaut

I have suffered from social anxiety ever since I was 12 years old. Over the years, the anxiety continued to escalate. About two months ago, I left school because my mental state had reached an all-time low. Social anxiety, while not the whole story, was definitely a contributing factor.
    I am now in therapy and I'm working hard to overcome this. I've seen some improvements in my condition, but I'm still not cured. Since I know many on this forum have had similar issues, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some strategies and treatments they have found to be effective.

2. I have suffered from Social Anxiety my entire life. It's because of social anxiety I have dropped out of 2 colleges and have no job. I also still live with my parents at the age of 29. It has completely ruled my life and has made all of my decisions for me and I am very tired of it.

Some suggestions would be to try and think differently (easier said than done). Those of us with social anxiety are typically inward thinkers. We need to train our thoughts to think more outwardly. So instead of focusing on yourself try and focus on whats happening around you and on other people around you. You will realize that (usually) none of them are paying any attention to you but that they're all focusing on their own tasks and this will ease your anxiety. What it all comes down to really is exposure and cognitive behavioral therapy. The more you put yourself in an uncomfortable situation the more your body will become use to that situation and you will become increasingly less anxious. And while you're in those situations try and change the way you're thinking by focusing on the outward instead the inward.

I have been too anxious to even put myself in those situations though honestly. I know I have to start if I ever want to overcome this and live my own life. Also don't be afraid of medication. If you need medication even just at the beginning to start putting yourself in those situations then take it. I've taken medication in the past and it really does help.