1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Oily hair problem | Showers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Quiver, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

I have been taking showers with shampoo every single morning for the past three years. I never really had a problem with oily hair as long as I took my daily shower. But even when I take a shower with shampoo now, my hair is still oily even right after it. I heard that hair product companies spread the lie that taking daily shower isn't bad at all to maximize their profits. I dunno wether that's true but I do know that I gotta do something about my shampoo usage. Any tips? Go cold turkey? Stop using it for one week? Lemme hear your opions!

2. There always needs to be some natural oils into your scalp skin and hair, it keeps the hair and skin healthy and protects it. Shampoo strips hair and scalp from it's natural oils. Your head then sees that there is lack of oil it needs and starts to produce more. But people don't like it so they wash even more often. But scalp does not like it so it starts to produce even more to compensate, to keep your head healthy and protected. So the more we wash the more oil scalp produces to compensate, so more we wash it. It's like a cycle of doom. More we wash more oily and faster oily our hair gets.

So basically yea, stop washing so often and after few weeks / months your hair will return to its natural balance. This is what happened to me and that is exactly what I did. You need to do a hair reboot, if you will. You can still rinse it with warm water, just don't use any shampoo. One week is not enough usually, what you need is one or two months most of the time. Alternatively you cloud try to slowly decrease how frequently you use shampoo over a course of many months. But completely stopping washing your hair for a month or two will reboot your hair faster that that. And while you gonna do it your hair will be super itchy, stinky and disgustingly looking. So either wear a hat, don't go out of house or shave your head completely bald for that time. That's what I did. I was all bald like cancer survivor until my scalp healed. Then after couple months I started to grow hair back and now I need to wash only twice a week.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2017
    Quiver likes this.
  3. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

Very informative. Thanks!

I'd prefer not to go bald :p
    I'll just wash my hair ones or twice a month

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017