1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Martial Arts Thread version MMA isn't an art form

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Battlemaster Lotus Praxis, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Here it is. The official martial arts discussion thread.

MMA is cool, but it's not an art, lol.

Seeing as we had 1 martial arts thread in this section and 1 in off topic, I felt compelled to start this badboy up and go to town discussing all art forms.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    yoyo1 and taqwa like this.
  2. I train kung fu, taiji quan, and qi gong. For 8 years. Lifelong practice, it is. Long way to mastery :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    HopeFaith and taqwa like this.
  3. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Totally agree brother. I have been taking Akido. What a sophisticated martial art! It is totally bad ass. It is very mental!

4. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Martial arts is a terrific way to engage in a healthy outlet. So recommended. It fulfills man's primal needs.

5. @taqwa

So cool. Tomorrow I will integrate another user's thread into this one whom trains Aikido. Brilliant threads with Aikido philosophy!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Much appreciated indeed brother!

7. Just because MMA isn't a traditional martial art in the truest sense for obvious reasons does not mean it will not be discussed here :D

So how about that Big Ronda upset? Lol, my co-worker told me about it the other day. He was happy Big Ron got the ego knocked right out of her big head hahah, check it:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  8. [​IMG]

http://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-way-of-harmony.2655/

Truly Mark understood the depth of genuine Aikido training. That thread is a gem. He was no longer active by the time we switched to XenForo. His legacy will be kept alive and well.

[​IMG]

9. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff!

10. Yep. I am really low on mental energy right now, hence my brief posts heavy on images and videos all over the forum. Rough times at work. Look forward to delving quite deep into discussion in this thread.

This is just the seedling version if you will haha.

taqwa likes this.

11. Pride and UFC.

I use to be obsessed with watching both of them. Actually all mma fighting organizations I was obsessed with. Watching Royce Gracie destroy his opponents when I was a senior in high school started some kind of fire inside me. I wanted to train jiu jitsu, and become an unstoppable weapon, capable of destroying anyone no matter how big they were.

I ended up being inspired and talked into training kung fu instead it turns out, and eventually took up taiji quan and qi gong alongside the kung fu training. They work synergistically with each other.

Being able to kill people with your bare hands isn't such a big deal in kung fu. Actually the most important thing is improving your own mind, body, & spirit, and using your training to benefit the world.

[​IMG]

taqwa likes this.
  12. Kung Fu Panda is legit :) Most martial arts movies contain life lessons in them. At least the traditional themed ones do. Not a bad deal, self improvement and entertainment in one!

And I did enjoy the new Karate Kid, but seriously he should have trained karate, or else at least call it Kung Fu Kid ffs Hollywood...

"Kung Fu lives in everything we do, Xiao Dre! It lives in how we put on the jacket, how we take off the jacket. It lives in how we treat people! Everything... is Kung Fu."

13. [​IMG]

Great video on the philosophy of Jiu-Jitsu. It's all about improving your entire life and building a noble character. Of course you learn to fight, but this is not an end in itself in traditional Arts,

[​IMG]

taqwa likes this.
  14. Working on a Judo post. Judo is really badass and totally life enriching at the core of it so I want it to be special. In the meantime...Toshiro Mifune vs. Charles Bronson.

15. I think the point of martial arts is to be able to defend yourself properly. This means you can hold your own against either a trained or an untrained opponent. You rarely see guys in UFC using kung-fu or aikido because it doesn't work against trained professionals. I'd rather spend my time and energy and money on something that keeps me in shape AND gives me the best possible chance to win a street fight. And that's why I stick to Muay Thai/Brazillian Jiu-jitsu. It's the golden standard with a proven track record.

16. Well that is your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

"The proper purpose of martial arts training is training the body, cultivating the mind, so as to nurture the spirit and contribute to the welfare of the world."

-Beyond The Known by Tri Thong Dang

17. Well my Judo post is finished.

MIND POLLUTION WARNING:

HOW TO JUDO CHOP AND KUNG FU KICKING:

Jk sry, here is a Yoda remix in the meantime:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  18. Well looks like this will be a Judo series rather than one post. Really going to explore all aspects of the art since the days of Kanō Jigorō.

[​IMG]

I like what Ilias has to say about respecting your opponent in this video,

19. The following article is copied from http://judoinfo.com/quotes4.htm with the intention of keeping the true spirit of the martial arts alive:

[​IMG]
    Tando (Search for the Way) by Jigoro Kano
    [​IMG]Jigoro Kano's Five Principles of Judo (from Budo Secrets by John Stevens):

1. Carefully observe oneself and one's situation, carefully observe others, and carefully observe one's environment,
    2. Seize the initiative in whatever you undertake,
    3. Consider fully, act decisively,
    4. Know when to stop,
    5. Keep to the middle.

[​IMG]Any trace of conscious thought destroys your equilibrium, and a sharp opponent will seize on that opening in an instant. Thought obstructs nature and hinders true function. Do not think, do not act; follow the movements of nature, and self will disappear. Without a self there will be no one to oppose you in Heaven and Earth.
    Neko no Myojutsu

[​IMG]As soon as there is the slightest conscious thought, however, contrivance and willfulness appear, and that separates you from the natural Way. You see yourself and others as separate entities, as opponents. If you ask me what technique I employ, the answer is mushin (no-mind). Mushin is to act in accordance with nature, nothing else.
    Neko no Myojutsu

[​IMG]If someone asked me what a human being ought to devote the maximum of his time to, I would answer, "Training." Train more than you sleep.
    Masutatsu Oyama

[​IMG]I know not how to defeat others; I only know how to win over myself.
    Yagyu Munenori

[​IMG]Always present on the battlefield of life, ready to meet any challenge.
    personal motto of Hakudo Nakayama, the father of modern iaido

[​IMG]Avoid the "Three Nuns" approach to Judo practice: Nun yesterday, Nun today and Nun tomorrow.

[​IMG]Judo, as a combative art, or a means of mental and physical training, or of moral and spiritual education, fundamentally evolves on the principle of balance, as do all things in the universe. Duality is the ordered state, and providential arrangement for animation and progress – Life. Life is action – action to attain the balanced state, or unity of opposites – a state of non-action. As far as man is concerned, the value and satisfaction of life are derived from that striving for unity with nature and God. So it is with Judo. In action, balance must be retained: yet to achieve an object, one must run the risk of losing it. In this enigma of the natural law, Judo finds its life as a sport and combative art.
    Gunji Koizumi

[​IMG]Under the circumstances of contest or combat, to judge clearly, and to command quick action, one must have calm mental balance. This mental balance depends, in turn, on the spiritual balance, or a clear conscience. Thus it will be seen that the study of Judo does not remain solely on the physical plane; also, despite the drastic nature of its objectives, Judo is not prone to be submissive to the influence of an evil power. In fact, the maxim of Judo is: "Least used: best served."
    Gunji Koizumi

[​IMG]Judo teaches us training. You have to train, but you have to be spontaneous. If you start being spontaneous without training, your bad habits will get worse and worse... Now the purpose of Judo technique is to show you this and enable you to master what has been learnt in the past - and then to become spontaneous and free. You have to train and then you have to jump beyond the training.
    Trevor Leggett, The Dragon Mask

[​IMG]

Kokoro (heart, center, or core) by D. T. Suzuki

[​IMG]O-me-dame de shinde koi (with wide open eyes come and die). This dying means give up the thoughts on which we rely. Give up the things we hold on to and walk forward with wide open eyes. These are some of the things that Judo is meant to give us - and can give us if we practise in that way.
    Trevor Leggett, The Dragon Mask

taqwa likes this.
  20. Continued,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]"Plum Blossoms Open Because of the Frost and Snow" by Hakudo Nakayama (right). Lovely plum flowers bloom under the harshest conditions. Adversity does not cause a budo practitioner to wither; it helps him or her to flourish.

Budo Secrets by John Stevens[​IMG] I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and possibility of Judo being introduced with other games and sports at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries, I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo in reality is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact, it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, so-called randori or free practice can be classed as a form of sport. Certainly, to some extent, the same may be said of boxing and fencing, but today they are practiced and conducted as sports. Then the Olympic Games are so strongly flavored with nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop "Contest Judo", a retrograde form as ju-jitsu was before the Kodokan was founded.
    Judo should be free as art and science from any external influences, political, national, racial, and financial or any other organized interest. And all things connected with it should be directed to its ultimate object, the "Benefit of Humanity". Human sacrifice is a matter of ancient history.
    Another point is the meaning of professionalism. With Judo, we have no professionals in the same sense as other sports. No one is allowed to take part in public entertainment for personal gain. Teachers certainly receive remuneration for their services, but that is in no way degrading. The professional is held in high regard like the officers of a religious organization or a professor in the educational world. Judo itself is held by us all in a position at the high altar. To reconcile this point of view with the Western idea is difficult. Success or a satisfactory result of joining the Olympic Games would much depend on the degree of understanding of Judo by the other participating countries.

Me: Damn couldn't even copy it all and the freakin formatting is screwed up ah well here is some more of what copies it speaks enough for the time being,

Jigoro Kano[​IMG] Proper pre-planning prevents piss-poor performance. [​IMG]Do not criticise any other martial arts or speak ill of others, as it will surely come back to you. The mountain does not laugh at the river because it is lowly, nor does the river speak ill of the mountain because it cannot move. Koichi Tohei[​IMG]The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he asks his pupils that they can readily answer, but how many questions he inspires them to ask him which he finds it hard to answer. [​IMG]After the game the King and the Pawn go back in the same box. [​IMG]Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. [​IMG]Kihon-Dosa Wo Mamoru (Do not neglet the basic movements) [​IMG]Jukuryo danko -- Decisive action after careful consideration [​IMG]Tomaru tokoro o shire -- Know when to stop [​IMG]Saki o tore -- Anticipate [​IMG]If you win, do not boast of your victory; if you lose, do not be discouraged. When it is saafe, do not be careless; when it is dangerous, do not fear. Simply continue down the path ahead. [​IMG] Generally speaking, if we look at sports we find that their strong point is that because they are competitive they are interesting, and young people are likely to be attracted to them. No matter how valuable the method of physical education, if it is not put into practice, it will serve no purpose—therein lies the advantage of sports. But, in this regard there are matters to which we must also give a great deal of consideration. First, so-called sports were not created for the purpose of physical education; one competes for another purpose, namely, to win. Accordingly, the muscles are not necessarily developed in a balanced way, and in some cases the body is pushed too far or even injured. For that reason, while there is no doubt that sports are a good thing, serious consideration must be given to the selection of the sport and the training method. Sports must not be undertaken carelessly, overzealously, or without restraint. However, it is safe to say that competitive sports are a form of physical education that should be promoted with this advice in mind. The reason I have worked to popularize sports for more than twenty years and that I have strived to bring the Olympic Games to Japan is entirely because I recognize these merits. However, in times like these, when many people are enthusiastic about sports, I would like to remind them of the adverse effects of sports as well. I also urge them to keep in mind the goals of physical education—to develop a sound body that is useful to you in your daily life—and be sure to consider whether or not the method of training is in keeping with the concept of seiryoku zenyo. --Jigoro Kano[​IMG] Judo is like climbing, if life were the mountain. We must first be strong enough to climb it. The bigger the mountain, the more help we may need from others. We must map our path out and follow it through. The higher up the mountain we go, the more we can see that there are other roads or ways to reach the top. The higher we go, the more we can appreciate the struggle and accomplishments of others. -- Hayward Nishioka, Black Belt Magazine February 1971

Judo: we put the "harm" in harmony

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015