1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Nuclear power

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jimmy Johnson, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Hello,

I would like to know what your view on nuclear power is.

I put some links related to some past incident and some contextual information
    Current Chernobyl radiation and right after incident
    http://www.chernobylgallery.com/chernobyl-disaster/radiation-levels/
    Chernobyl tour vs air travel

Chernobyl safety
    https://www.world-nuclear.org/infor...rity/safety-of-plants/chernobyl-accident.aspx

And here some information on the most radioactive inhabited place

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsar,_Mazandaran

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/15/what-most-radioactive-city-chernobyl-fukushima

2. plusscientist

plusscientist Fapstronaut

What an interesting topic!

In my opinion, I think that nuclear power is one of the better ways of creating electricity today. I may be wrong, but I think it is giving the biggest output of electricity compared to any other form of creating energy. One good thing about them is that because of their output, there wouldn't be as much territory occupied by them compared to massive places needed for wind or solar energy creators.
    The downside is that there are nuclear rods inside them that after 5-10 years of use need to be replaced but they will emit energy for centuries before they are safe. Thankfully, somewhere in Finland there is a place they are building where those rods will be kept in for eternity. Unfortunately, once, even that place will be filled up. I hope that scientist will find a way to make those rods safe immediately after they are out of the reactor so that they won't posses a threat to environment.

If we talk about other aspects of nuclear energy, for example, nuclear weapons, I am strongly against them. I would love if the whole world could invest in science, art, health, education and many different things instead of developing any(including nuclear) weapons. Hopefully, we will all one day live in peace.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Nuclear energy is the most viable and dependable alternative energy source, but it poses its own dangers as we’ve seen. One earthquake, cyclone or technological malfunction and you’ll be dealing with a major meltdown. If we were to go nuclear, it’d be safest to put plants in an area not prone to constant/huge earthquakes.

The way it’s put: coal’s like an unchained dog, but nuclear energy is like a caged tiger. Almost all the time, coal’s more dangerous (and as it releases trace amounts of radium into the air, it’s also more radioactive during these times) but the moment nuclear breaks free, we are doomed.

4. Yo! Toyota is currently do R&D on a nuclear power cars. Basically a renewable energy car or something like that. Fuel cells or yadie yada. :)

Hello Friend likes this.
  5. Jerky

Jerky Fapstronaut

All i can say is that radiation poisoning seems very unpleasant.

6. Wouldn’t a nuclear powered car be dangerous and quite frankly, daft? While sure if they’re able to cut emissions that would be brilliant, but what about when folks get into car accidents? Or how about if it just cracks and leaks for whatever reason?

I’ve never seen a concept design or heard of it before, would the car power cells be built in the same way nuclear reactors essentially are? Because I’d be afraid of millions of those bloody things driving around waiting to go off. It could be something else that’s possibly safe I guess, I just get scared when nuclear is brought up, and especially if they consider putting it in the hands of people somehow.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Wow! Long time Gin. You have a nice streak there. :)

Um yeah. Japan and China is backing that actually. Its a nuclear reactor powered car. I'm not a science guy so not sure what I'm saying. But I remember entering high school and hearing about it on the international news. That was 2011...

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Cheers mate! You've got a nice streak goin’. ;)

Aye, they were again talking about it back in 2015. It really depends on how they use nuclear power in terms of fission or fusion, and if they use deuterium when making hydrogen cells. Not to mention it depends on how they get hydrogen in the first place, as one of the easiest ways is to harvest fossil fuels, but that kinda negates the whole going green thing since that in itself releases so many emissions.

Even if you end up making it radiation proof, there’s still the huge problem of the hydrogen fuel cell itself. When damaged they become extremely unstable and have the potential to explode, not to mention one of the worst parts is hydrogen can easily escape tiny holes and cracks since it’s such a small and light element so one would assume the potential to start a fire would be even greater in an accident.

I don’t know much about it and I’m certainly not a scientist, but I know a lot of companies use people as test subjects, so I wouldn’t be surprised if something horrible happened when rolling them out and they go oops. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
  9. I suppose we should focus on population control and stuff more than trying to get more and more out of our different energy sources.

letter likes this.
  10. vowed

vowed Fapstronaut

Our attempts to harness nuclear fission is insanity and has already begun to seriously damage us.

Getting to know the mysteries of the atom is a great thing, and in another life I read lots on the efforts towards nuclear fusion, but as it is, we are children playing with fire.

11. vowed

vowed Fapstronaut

Why?

There's plenty of room in the world for everyone.