1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

normal vs hard reboot

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by JKnight, Sep 8, 2018.

1. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

Hi,
    I'm married and my wife still enjoys having sex with me and is still asking for it. I want to know the influence this might have in my addiction. I understand that there is the Chaser effect, I'm talking in terms of the length of the reboot required and if it prolongs the addiction because my brain is still getting the dopamine from sex, or is it somehow different because it's with a person and not based around PMO?

Also does sex reset my counter?

Tryingforfamily likes this.
  2. Good questions. Im in the same boat. Started hardmode 10 days ago based on my CSAT counselors recommendation.

The point of it is to stop the neurons from firing that cause you to relapse or objectify. The less you use that neural pathway the less likely it will fire on its own which leads to relapse or objectification.

It's called hardmode for a reason lol. I would have a talk with her. It's a lot like any other addiction. The only way to not feel triggered to smoke a cigarette is if you've not smoked for all extended period of time.

Good luck!

justafriend likes this.
  3. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

Thanks. I agree with that. It doesn't answer my question though. I agree that the less you use those neural pathways, the less likely one will relapse. However, is there a difference between PMO and sex in this regard? With PMO, it serves the addiction and it gets intensified. Does sex do the same thing because it is using the same neural pathways, or is it still completely okay just that it increases the likelihood for relapse because of the Chaser effect and other such side effects? Also, if someone has rebooted successfully on normal mode but had sex, is the addiction as strongly broken as on hardmode, since one had sex during that period of time or only the issue is PMO and nothing else can directly intensify or retain the addiction?

4. Sorry, I should have added that any sexual activity can trigger this neural pathway.

5. Also.... lol

I think there are potentially ways to do it without hardmode but I got the feeling from my counselor that without hardmode the likelihood of success is low.

She doesn't call it hardmode by the way. It's abstaining from all sexually activity/behavior. To my surprise this even includes spooning. She said if we spoon then I should be in the front lol. That would be pretty awkward as I'm 6'4 and she's only 5'5.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  6. Right now my perspective is that even thought in your head that you consciously allow yourself to continue thinking can trigger this pathway and extend the time it takes for the pathways to stop triggering so often.

7. Hardmode is hard on my wife too btw as it sounds like she has the same feelings your wife does. It took about 40 or 50 days after DDay for my wife to agree to 30 days of it. She only agreed because she saw some of my old tendencies after we had sex which would trigger her. Those tendencies didn't include PM though.

8. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

hmmm...is that true though? There are differences between sex and PMO that are hardcoded into the brain. I guess it would depend on how long afterwards you let it continue, no? If you don't act on it, then the dopamine release usually found at O is not present, which is what we are addicted to, P is just the mechanism to get that specific release of it. I remember Jordan Peterson talking about the difference once.

9. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

Hmmm...I think I might only try hardmode if either normal mode isn't successful or that certain objectifications return or behavioural elements return or do not diminish. I guess also if the urges intensify, I'll go hard mode although not no spooning. I believe that's called MonkMode no?

10. Im not sure what it's called here but that's not what I'm trying to do. Im following the advice of my CSAT counselor. This certification takes 3 more years of education than your typical therapist does from my understanding.

I really like what she has had to offer so far and I am seeing progress in my opinion. To each their own though.

11. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

hmmm...it would be nice if actual counselors posted on these forums instead of relying on just anecdotal evidence or opinion pieces. She was the one that told you about the neural pathways and that anything can cause them to be triggered? And again, I understand that sex could cause risks in the reboot process and maybe prolong it, but does it have the same effect on addiction as PMO does?

12. Yes, I had the exact same questions you are asking yourself. I wanted to see how much I could get away with without affecting recovery.

Do realize you are not wanting to cut these out of your life for a reason. They bring comfort. This is not a comfortable process :(

13. Plus my wife is dealing with many other huge events in her life other than my PA right now and intimacy is something she could use as a way of relieving stress so it's pretty difficult on her as well.

14. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

Not really. P greatly decreased my drive for sex. Only due to the intense drive of my wife, did sex actually occur. I acknowledge that it is uncomfortable. It can't be more uncomfortable than actually telling my wife that I'm an addict. The reason I am not wanting to cut this out is 2-fold: (a) i think sex is an important part of the relationship and this punishes my wife unnecessarily (although I hear that it only does so short-term and she is more likely to receive more quality bouts of intimacy afterwards) and (b) whilst I do fear the Chaser effect greatly and had I been single this would not have been a problem, but since I am not, I believe that it would make it more likely to relapse. Whereas a normal reset would prolong the reboot but would make it more likely to be a successful reboot. That's why I ask about its impact on the addiction itself. Perhaps it is impossible to break the addiction without hard mode or monk mode (which I believe is what you are talking about).

My wife would agree to 2 weeks, but not a whole month or a whole rebooting period, I think.

15. You sound exactly like me 2-3 weeks ago. Almost verbatim in fact.

16. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

damnit. okay, so normal mode didn't work for you. If you don't mind me asking, what about it didn't work? It just fueled the objectification element of the addiction even though the behavioural element was being phased it? which is still damaging but less so.

17. I guess you could put it that way. Im not sure I can totally define it though. I could just kinda feel something was still off. So could my wife. The P and M had been gone for 40ish days at this point too.

Maybe it was just that my mind involuntarily continued to go to thoughts of lust. Not just lust for others (which quickly faded once I started no PM) but lots of lustful thoughts about my wife.

My counselor said this to me the other day that kinda resonated with me. You need to get to the point of being a participant rather than an observer. You've been observing P for so long that you are now more of an observer than a participant.

Think about it. What are you looking at during P. What have you been looking at during sex? That's objectification. Not that this is never acceptable but it should never be the default or preferred method.

Maybe it's just me... maybe not.

justafriend likes this.
  18. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

hmmm...how do you be an observer while being intimate. I get the lustful thoughts and the objectification part.

19. Im not sure I can give you a better example at the moment to explain it. It's something I'm just learning.

20. JKnight

JKnight Fapstronaut

I think what I might try for now is alternate between Monk Mode and Normal Mode. 2 weeks normal, 2 weeks monk.