New feature: change your username!

Discussion in 'NoFap Technical Support' started by Alexander, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fapstronaut
    Staff Member Founder

You don't need to message a mod anymore, all Fapstronauts can now change their usernames in their user control panel.

This is because sometimes people realize their username isn't as anonymous as they want it to be - we get messages like this all of the time. This process will now speed up the process. This is another step in my ongoing mission to give users more control over their data. More coming soon!

2. Yesodi

Yesodi Distinguished Fapstronaut

Keep in mind, however, that if you already have previous activity using your old username, existing Forum-members might be able to deduce the connection between your new and old usernames.

This may or may not be important to your privacy-related concerns, depending on your personal motivation for changing your username.

Specifically:
    • Posts written under your old username, might likely be "remembered" as such by others, even after they get renamed to the new username -- especially by those who "Liked" them or commented/replied.
    • Private "Conversations" conducted under your old username might very likely be remembered as such, even after they get renamed to the new username.

tiredofbeingtired likes this.
  3. IGY

IGY Guest

@alexander, why do we have to wait three months before we can change our user name? :confused: It is rather a lengthy time.

4. Alexander

Alexander Fapstronaut
    Staff Member Founder

No reason really, I guess that's what the plugin that we use had set as the default setting. I'm sure that it could be adjusted. Also, I think a second reason was to discourage it unless if necessary, to avoid the forum from getting super confusing.

5. themammothrept

themammothrept Der Rebütermensch
    Staff Member

Additionally @ tag mentions of your old name link to your new name.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fapstronaut
    Staff Member Founder

Most of these things seem to fall under common sense. If somebody wants to completely get a new identity not associated with any of their old posts, they should create a new account.

7. Hercules III

Hercules III New Fapstronaut

@Alexander, I hope you will change my name.
    My name means something really bad in the Judaism and I'm really sorry about that.
    I didn't knew what I had in my mind, but I've done that, and I thought it is a kind of "Inside Joke"