New country.. new friends?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by prettyboichad, Apr 13, 2019.

1. prettyboichad

prettyboichad Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I'm going to another country tomorrow..
    What are your tips or advices for making friends?

I'm isolated because people see me as a tourist. However, I'd like to take a shot at making a couple connections. Help a buddy out?

I'm awful at social interactions by the way. I'm trying not to be, but I can't help it sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. Master Tip: If you are at some basic tourist spot where people usually take pictures (like to pose). Go ask someone/anyone interesting looking person to take a photo of you. Proceed with, asking about if they are local --> if yes change numbers/snapchat/Instagram/fb, ask if they are interested in showing you some places. ---> If they are tourists also, change contacts, and ask if they want to explore together. Just be brave :)

prettyboichad likes this.
  3. prettyboichad

My Journal
    Well, I'm going to need to be real smooth to pull that one off.. but I guess any interaction is great.
    I'm a teenager, but I still think I can pull some form of this stunt.
    I'm thinking, "hey, do you know where this thing is" or something along those lines?

Brave.. I'll be a brave bear.

Thank you @Successwithin, I'm going to give it a shot and I'll tell you my results.
    Let's cross our fingers

4. If that's something you could see yourself doing, then go for it!
    I Trust that you will handle anything at ease! Be yourself that's the key :) Have a good trip and take it easy !

5. prettyboichad

My Journal
    I'll be myself and try not to chicken out :)

6. Artifical intelligence

Artifical intelligence Fapstronaut

Learning the language helps alot.

7. prettyboichad

My Journal
    Heyah!
    I have made several friends and it keeps getting better here on day.. 12 or something?
    Both male and female
    and I got to know most of them individually.

I simply introduced myself during the appropriate times and it went very very smooth.
    I'm surprised by myself and at how easy it was to not mess up.

I was still a little awkward with the girls, but it was alright.

Thanks for encouraging me!
    Although I'm satisfied with myself, Imma keep going

do feel free to ask questions, I don't mind at all
    In fact, I'll be ecstatic to answer

@Artificial intelligence,
    I very much agree with you! I suppose it can help a person to fit in

8. IceRocket

IceRocket Fapstronaut

What country did you go to?
    I ask it cause I also came to a new country (US) last year, in my case as an exchange student for 9 months.
    At first it was kind of hard to make friends as I didn't always understand the language and I had a big accent (which I still have) but step by step I started making friends and now I have a lot of them, it just takes time. Now I have 3 weeks left here and then I'll cross the Atlantic Ocean again.
    I'm gonna miss them all when I go back.
    Are you going there as a tourist or to live there?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. Felipe.dasilva

Felipe.dasilva Fapstronaut

What country are you from? Yes it can be difficult to make short term friends here in the US

10. IceRocket

IceRocket Fapstronaut

I am from the country with the best soccer team in the world, but but we lost the world cup thanks to a bald guy.

11. prettyboichad

My Journal
    @IceRocket,
    I went to India and the trip is going pretty well.

I hope that bald guy is pleased with himself :(

12. saurabgangul

saurabgangul Fapstronaut

Well I am from India too if u plan to visit Bangalore anytime let's meet somewhere peaceful.

13. need4realchg

need4realchg Fapstronaut

Very cool man! Congrats! I spend about 75% of my time outside the us, and actually grew up in the country that beat the bald guy’s team and won the cup last year lol. Yes we are the best team with the best squad. lol.

I also was a foreign exchange student for a year and my mom isn’t American so yeah I feel I get you.

With my backdrop I speak 4 languages and am a talented musician and vocalist but find those skills don’t mean you make friends easily. As a matter of fact, feeling lonely caused me to develop SA in the first place.

I have been doing much better in accepting where I am, what’s realistic , and even how to make crucial changes. My advice is everywhere I the world there is a community of ppl where you are from. Find them. It could be a church, a biking group, a school body. And they can be your first point of contact. Music helps too, i like meetup.

Nofap is good for this too. I’m in Germany next week and know I have to fill my time wisely. You can pm me if you want to have another ap.

Stay safe my friend,

14. prettyboichad

My Journal
    *UPDATE*
    Today, at a party, I made eye contact with a girl, and then I walked up to their group of 5 girls and we chatted. I have two of their contacts now :)
    I think that they find me annoying, but I may just be paranoid.

Nice! I'd love to dude!
    I'm currently crusin' in Goa

Awesome man! This is actually very very true. all of my friends are church friends and friends of church friends.

Thank you for the offer, I'll consider it.

bashka likes this.
  15. IceRocket

IceRocket Fapstronaut

Hahahaha I'm not from Croatia actually more to the west (we lost due to manager and goalie) but yeah France has a very good squad.
    Yeah I am trying to get better in some stuff to like for example I need to pay more attention to where I am because I use to zone out all the time. And this year I am working on getting better at making conversation (I used to suck at that) and also overcoming my shyness (when I was little I used to be pretty shy but after I turned 14 or so I thought I wasn't anymore, but I was so wrong. Now that I have got better at that I realize the huge amount of things I didn't do just because of my shyness).
    I always get paranoid about things like "oh I should stop talking because they must be bored" or "they surely didn't like me" and all that stuff so same as you. I am in a journey of getting better at my social skills so that's one of the barriers that I've had, but it's usually just the brain messing with you.

need4realchg and prettyboichad like this.
  16. prettyboichad

My Journal
    Yes, it is entirely the brain rationalizing against you.
    I have never approached girls like that, for the record. I'm very shy.
    And when the girl, the same one i'm crushing on, smiled at me, it took a whole 60 seconds to respond with a brave move like walking over to them.

The photo we took was well worth it, there's one guy and 5 girls. Pretty awesome that the guy is me.

Coffee Candy, bashka and IceRocket like this.
  17. Force Majeure

Force Majeure Fapstronaut

Slacklining and bouldering are very social sports and it is easy to get to know new people if you are into that sort of thing. There are usually slackline groups on facebook for bigger cities and bouldering halls are everywhere, hopefully you can find one near you. :)

IceRocket and prettyboichad like this.
  18. need4realchg

need4realchg Fapstronaut

I do bouldering. It’s very cool. Find an indoor climbing gym and usually they are down to earth.

19. IceRocket

IceRocket Fapstronaut

I mean there has to be a first step, so it's a good Start. Right now I am thinking about doing an online course about picking up girls that I accidentally found on YouTube the other day and that could be great. It's this guy, called Adrian Gee, that was pretty shy and bad with women that decided to investigate and learn all about picking up women and now he is great, like I have seen his videos and he literally walks to random hot girls in the street, starts talking to them and manages to get a full conversation and then get their phone numbers. So I am thinking about buying his course (called the T8 system), only problem is that I am 16 and I don't wanna tell my parents I am buying a course like that, so I will have to say it's other thing.

20. prettyboichad

My Journal
    haha, I can totally relate dude!
    Do your parents know you're doing nofap?

Also, this may not be optimal, but you could ask your dad, "How do I get a girlfriend!?"
    dads are gud like that sometimes..
    He was once there too, I try to imagine it sometimes lol

bashka likes this.