1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Near total isolation?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by yzeew, Nov 13, 2015.

1. yzeew

yzeew Fapstronaut

(Edited)I am disabled and do not really leave the house much. I have managed to maintain a diet (both eliminating and adding), exercise program, quit smoking, and started reading more. Wish all this improvement would let me get over my disability a bit and enter society again but has yet to happen. This has cause massive loneliness in which I feel I get few pleasures at all.
    Dealing with the lack of human contact and most kinds of pleasures are hard. Anyone else with this problem and how to get through a bottomed out pleasure with a quit?
    Anyone with panic disorders out there doing this?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. docker

docker Fapstronaut

Thank you for sharing this.
    What do you think that it will happen if you go out of your house more often?

3. Hey yzeew. Just to clarify; your disability is the panic disorder? Or there something else on top of that?

Seems like you've made many changes to your life already. That's admirable, especially if you don't have a support network behind you. I can tell you have strength to spare, and there's no reason I can see why you can't achieve your goal of having a social network, however rough that road might be.

If I were in your position, I might break up the challenge into small chunks. A step-by-step approach to reaching your goal, rather than leaping towards it in a single bound. It seems less intimidating that way, and gives you a chance to ease into things. Maybe something like this:

Level 1) Seek advice from people you CAN communicate with (you're already doing this) and fish for fresh ideas. Make it a habit to journal your thoughts either online or in a diary (I personally keep a diary, I find it incredibly useful actually).

Level 2) Get used to being outside the house. Try to be outside once a day, whether it be shopping, walking in the park, etc.

Level 3) Smile at people when passing them on the street. Maybe start with the elderly (they're harmless!) and work from there.

etc etc.

Of course, it's hard for me to offer advice as I don't know the nature of your condition nor have I likely experienced it first hand. But, as a person who has struggled with isolation in the past (although perhaps not to your extent!), I'm always interested in listening to your story, as I'm sure many other people here are.

Best regards.

HopeFaith likes this.
  4. yzeew

yzeew Fapstronaut

Thanks I'm wary of the old people they are training :p ah youtube is so useful.

Panic disorder is a peripheral a complication of Schizoaffective disorder (I think...do not like the idea of having both). Can be hard to find people with Schizo anything and cesation of addictions so I typically lead with panic being much more relatable

Fear in leaving house to not be hit with a trigger of panic (which are there...it is kind of numerous). Takes a while to get back to being social. Takes time for a mental dump.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  5. sanpellegrino

sanpellegrino Fapstronaut

6. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

Hi, I have had panic attacks and isolation to the point of just going to work and home and siting locked up in my room. So your condition is mental and not physical right?

Life is all about taking small steps and making small changes and maintaining them. I do not have any close friends where I live and am preaty much isolated as well.

What helped me with my anxiety was antidepresant. There are anxiety medication too. It is worth calling your doctor and requesting phone consultation. If you are having symptoms that are disabling you should try new medication. There are many on the market. If one does not work maybe number 3 will help. I would say adjusting your meds is he most important step. Another one is to try to talk to as many people as possible. You can start by looking up charities for mental health or lonliness. Chat lines or forums. The more contact you have with people the better you should start feeling. Isolation on its own is terrible! It couses suffering and it is a downward sparrow dificult to brake from.
    I feel for you. You must be suffering a lot.

I know that there is an exposure therapy for those with acute anxiety.

How do you get your food and shopping in? You never go out at all? How long have you been like this for?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016