1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Selection

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MNinerZERO, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Excellent choice! ^

MrBigA likes this.
  2. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

It's a great tune.... I think lyrically, it could apply to so many here... But I just think it's a cool tune!

3. RogerThat

RogerThat Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
    TheSumOfAllBeers and MrBigA like this.
  4. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

First link didn't work, but that glass animals track is pretty good... I'll have to go check them out!

5. The Glass Animals cd is amazing. I got it as a gift not long ago. The whole cd is great start to finish.

Black Mambo, one of my favs.

RogerThat and MrBigA like this.
  6. RogerThat

RogerThat Guest

Hopefully this one works:

MrBigA likes this.
  7. I was listening to Children of God by Swans the other day. Their early stuff is just as mind blowing. I love their whole discography. Including the very early, weird no-wave stuff.

Btw, there is nothing to be sorry for. Thank you for unearthing this thread, I love talking about music.
    I love Aphex Twin as well! I bought the Richard D. James album a few months back on vinyl.
    I hate it when people refer to "emo" as either sad or shitty. I feel the same way when people use "screamo" as a negative way to refer to music. That's like using the word gay as a synonym for bad or sucky, which is ignorant and not even close to the truth. It's like meeting one gay person that's flamboyant and annoying, then expecting every single gay person that comes along to be as flamboyant and annoying / the same as that one person you met. People are so diverse, eclectic, complex and you can never expect them to all be the same. Music is like that, as far as I'm concerned, there is probably at least one band or artist in every single
    genre that does it "right" and will move you.

I reject the idea that listening to anything with a melancholic mood to it will make you relapse. Or that sadness is weakness and that it should never be felt. In fact, I would say, trying to stifle any emotion is weakness rather than embracing it. This is another part of why I don't like people using the word "emo" as a "three letter word". Like, "Oh, he's so emo!" Emotion is an important part of the human condition, unless you're a psychopath and emotionless.

Sure, being a pessimist and feeling sad all of the time can be destructive. However, so can being optimistic and putting on rose tinted glasses. Same goes for being angry all of the time or any other emotion. It's important to see things how they are. If someone is sad, there is a reason for that and they should further explore it, maybe listening to sad music really resonates with them and helps them understand why they are sad.

That's what really helps a person to get to the next stage in their NoFap journey, and also life in general. Accept that emotion and expressing it is not a weakness. Patriarchal society wants you to think that "men" aren't suppose to cry or feel sad or show emotion. Speaking of mind control.

Here are some "emo" bands that have songs that are not sad at all. The word "emo", actually used the word "emocore", was coined to describe a few bands back in the late 80's. Emocore, sounded nothing like what is labelled as "emo" in today's pop culture. In fact, it was pretty much punk music with introspective and meaningful lyrics. One of the first bands labelled as "emo" was a band called Rites of Spring and the other was called Embrace. The lead singer/guitarist of Rites of Spring was Guy Picciotto and the lead singer of Embrace was Ian MacKaye. Ian MacKaye was the leader singer of Minor Threat, a hardcore punk band in the early 80's. Together, Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto formed Fugazi, one of the most bad ass "post-hardcore" bands ever.

Now, you probably know "post-hardcore" or "screamo" as bands as Underoath, Senses Fail, or The Used. If you get deep into studying music like I have, you will realize more and more that genre tags are fairly meaningless. For instance, the first bands known as "post-hardcore" don't sound anything like what is known as "post-hardcore" now. Same thing with "screamo" bands. Not only that, the original "screamo" and the original "post-hardcore" sounded nothing alike either.

That being said, some of the most punk music I've ever heard has been referred to as "emo", some of the most hardcore and head splitting riffs I've heard have been labelled as "screamo", and some of the most angular / great song writing general I've heard has been labelled as "post-hardcore".

Remember the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"? Yea...

"Emo"

"Emo"

"Post-hardcore"

"Screamo"

"Screamo"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
    xedger and Deleted Account like this.
  8. If you like Depeche Mode, I think that you'd like this guy. The first one is pretty much Depeche Mode worship. The second, I believe inspired some of Depeche Mode's late 80's/early 90's stuff:

That sucks that you lost all of your vinyl. Start collecting again, man! Vinyl sales have gone up these days and a lot of labels are reprinting a bunch of older stuff. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is one of my favorite electronic albums of all time, btw. You might light these two artists:

I wholeheartedly believe that Michael Gira loves Slint. This is the most cathartic album ever for me:

9. GSarosi

GSarosi Guest

Wow. Have not heard this album for years!

MrBigA likes this.
  10. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

@Dante Alighieri man, you're like my new hero in this thread. Totally agree, all forms of music are good somewhere within their own genre... There is always something amazing to find if you can keep an open mind and manage to sift through all the bits you don't like... That's because something excellent comes from someone totally immersed and passionate about what they do and that sticks out... Good call on slint, a band I have not heard in years and fugazi... One of my favourite bands when I was in high school, in fact I still have them on my phone now....

I had considered recollecting vinyl, but that was quite the collection gone in the blink of an eye... It's quite the undertaking to stary over. I kinda just decided not to bother... I was moving around a lot at the time anyway and anyone who has a large collection understands what it takes to move such a weighty volume... Perhaps I should, I dunno....

I listened to the μ-Ziq track, quite nice... Will have to check out some more... Any particular album recommendation? (Yes, I still prize the format of an album highly... Fuck playlists!)

The other track doesn't work on my phone, but I'll be sure to check it out when I am at a computer.

Here's a couple of my own suggestions, I dunno if you have considered:

Dante Alighieri likes this.
  11. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

12. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

Absolute classic... Been playing it quite a bit recently... A music act with quite the story too... Shame most of their output was piss poor, yet the released some of the finest ambience in the 90's considering how terrible their successful pop career was... They're justified, they're ancient... The justified ancients of mu mu!

13. RogerThat

RogerThat Guest

14. @Dante Alighieri The Cure, Swans, Aphex Twin, Slint... your music taste is too good.

15. Thanks man! That's the main thing that I was going for, to help others to keep an open mind. To refrain from thinking that an entire genre sucks because they heard a few songs on the radio labelled as that genre. The more "genres" we are open to, the easier it is to connect to people around us. I've made so many friends by listening to all kinds of music. I pretty much always have something to talk about.

I can totally sympathize with your sentiment. My brother has faced two house fires, both by lightning. One in Nashville and the other in Orlando. So, unlikely, but it happened. Though, I don't have a giant vinyl collection, I have had many hard drives crap out on me and lots upward of 500GB of music before. Both having vinyl and digital have the possibility of being lost or destroyed. Though, I've had more hard drives crap out on me in the time that I've had vinyl records and the records are always there to play. I'm considering buying two or three external hard drives, backing up all of my music and having several clones that just sit in a closet in case that happens again. Alas, I'm broke as hell.

I absolutely love Slint. There are a string of bands that followed them in the Louisville area that were also great: Rodan, June of 44, Shipping News, Rachel's, The For Carnation and The Sonora Pine.

Fugazi are also one of my favorites. They came out with so much material and all of it was amazing. Have you ever heard Unwound? Omg, so good. I think I might even like them more than Fugazi, if that's even possible.

I feel similarly about playlists. I try to explain this to people all of the time. Bands and artists, more often than not, intend the album to be listened to in full. This tends to fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm listening to them now. I love Squarepusher, I had his discography before my hard drive crapped out. I supposed it's time to reassemble!

Here are the albums that I recommend:

μ-Ziq
    Lunatic Harness
    Tango 'N Vectif
    Chewed Corners

Boards of Canada
    Tomorrow's Harvest
    Geogaddi
    Music Has the Right to Children

Oh, and if you haven't heard Unwound, you must listen to this:

Thanks! I was so surprised to see Swans and Aphex Twin pop up in this thread. You've got great taste as well. We're all going to have to keep sharing recommendations on here. The music thread lives!

Deleted Account likes this.
  16. Got this one on double vinyl, a classic !

17. Here's my album suggestions (one per band) :

A Silver Mt. Zion - "Born Into Trouble As the Sparks Fly Upwards".
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!
    Genesis - Foxtrot
    Swans - The Seer
    Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
    The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
    Kraftwerk - Autobahn

MrBigA and TheSumOfAllBeers like this.
  18. Morrissey is brilliant. One of the best lyricists - ever.

Deleted Account and MrBigA like this.
  19. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

20. MrBigA

MrBigA Fapstronaut

Somehow I've managed to post my reply in the quote... a quote with in a quote.... some kind of quoteception! Please expand lol