1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Methods to boost testosterone and DHT

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Readytomoveon, Jun 26, 2017.

1. I'm looking to increase my T for a number of reasons but sexual health and overall physical strength/fitness are my main reasons.

• Please share everything you know about increasing testosterone and DHT here. ;)

2. BigandBeastly

BigandBeastly Fapstronaut

You could try taking a test booster, the only thing with that is that it will also boost your estrogen. So you would have to change your diet to foods that cut the estrogen out of your system.

Readytomoveon likes this.
  3. Good article on raising testosterone: http://main.poliquingroup.com/Artic...Testosterone_for_a_Stronger,_Leaner_Body.aspx

Essentially:
    • Workout using multi-joint movements in rep ranges 5-8 reps per set, 2-3 mins rest between sets.
    • Do sprints, not endurance for cardio.
    • Sleep lots.
    • Eat lots of vegetables, especially greens and cruciferous veg like broccoli.
    • Eat good quality meat, esp. fish and red meat.
    • Make sure you have plenty of zinc and magnesium, supplement if necessary.
    • Be active throughout the day, go for short walks, do push ups etc.

4. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

5. If you have yet to do so go to doctor to see if you have any underlying conditions that might cause Low T. T isn't just about sex.

6. Also, it is important to sleep naked. o_O This ensures that your balls are cool, not heated by wearing boxers or briefs 24/7.

7. Atlanticus

Atlanticus Moderator Assistant
    NoFap Defender

I've found that the best way is to take Longjack supplements -- it's quite amazing stuff!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. Over the counter supplements are not regulated so be careful. That's why I advised the doctor first.

9. I Free I

I Free I Guest

:emoji_pray::emoji_pray::emoji_pray:

10. I don't suspect that I have abnormally low T, I'm just wanting to increase it even if it's already normal. I should have it checked by a lab though just so I know what I'm working with.

11. 80/20 principle applies here as usual. Most of the ideas out there for boosting testosterone are more or less nonsense because while they may have some effect we're talking like a couple of %, which won't lead to any positive effects. So there's no sense wasting time and money on most of those options.

There are however 3 things that can DRAMATICALLY change your testosterone levels:

- Being physically fit and healthy
    - Eating right
    - Getting enough sleep

There are many people who have more than doubled their testosterone levels by correcting those three factors. Even if your T levels are fine, if you haven't optimised these 3 things there's a good chance you could get them to be significantly higher than they are right now.

Step 1) Being physically fit and healthy:

There are 3 components to this:
    1. Be at a low body fat percentage. The higher your body fat percentage, the more aromatase you have, which means more of your testosterone will be converted to estrogen, leading to not only lower than ideal testosterone levels - but higher than ideal estrogen levels. You want to be somewhere in the ~10-15% body fat range or so for the highest testosterone levels, if you're much above or below that then your T levels will start to drop. You certainly don't want to be > 18% or below 7%. If you're outside of these ranges, then look at dieting or putting on weight to get in the correct range. PS, a good tip regarding body fat percentage: Everyone underestimates their body fat percentage, so if you think you "look around 15%", you're probably closer to 20%.
    2. Perform resistance training regularly (i.e. work out). Working out itself causes testosterone release, and so will result in you having significantly higher testosterone levels throughout the day than someone who is inactive.
    3. Increase the amount of muscle mass you have. While this won't directly increase your testosterone levels in itself, the larger the amount of muscle mass that is activated during exercise, the greater the testosterone release response. So as you build more muscle, you'll get a better testosterone response from exercise.
    Step 2) Eating right:

There are 5 components to this:
    1. When dieting, don't cut the calories too low: If you restrict calories, your testosterone levels will drop. This is an unfortunate side effect that can't really be avoided with dieting, but this temporary drop is going to lead to better testosterone levels in the long run if you're dieting to get to a lower body fat percentage. What you do need to be aware of though, is that cutting the calories too low, will result in much more severe drops in testosterone. Diet slowly and steadily rather than crash dieting.
    2. High carb diets are good: There are all these diets out there, like avoiding fats or avoiding carbs - but really whether you're trying to lose weight, gain weight, or maintain, what matters is the overall energy balance: are you in a caloric deficit or surplus. Low carb diets, while they can lead to shedding water weight a little faster, giving the illusion that the diet is working much quicker than a standard diet - also have a very big negative for anyone concerned with testosterone levels: your testosterone level has a pretty tight correlation to the amount of carbs you consume. Higher carb diets lead to higher testosterone levels, while lower carb diets lead to the opposite.
    3. Too much protein is bad: If you want to build muscle, you want to be getting enough protein. 0.8-1.3g/lb is a good number that many studies will agree on. However, don't be tempted to go way over this number "just to be safe". Going too high on protein can actually have a negative impact on testosterone levels.
    4. You need a certain minimum amount of fats: Just as low carb diets can be bad for testosterone, so can not consuming enough fat. Now you don't need to consume anywhere near as much fat as you do carbs. 50-70g a day is going to be more than enough for most people. However getting this minimum is important. Fats are directly involved in testosterone synthesis, and so if you don't get enough, the building blocks for testosterone production aren't there, and you can't produce T.
    5. You need to get enough of certain micronutrients: These are the vitamins and minerals that you need for optimal testosterone production. Some examples include: Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D3, Zinc. If you have a healthy balanced diet you probably get most of these, but there's still a good chance you're deficient in D3 if you don't spend much time out in the sun, and many people are deficient on Zinc even with a relatively balanced diet. If you're unsure if you're getting all of these, then supplement with some. Supplementing with these key vitamins if you're deficient will do WAY more for you than even the working testosterone boosters (many of them don't work at all, and the ones that do typically only produce minor effects) will.
    Step 3) Getting enough sleep:

Here's a chart showing average testosterone levels next to average hours of sleep:

[​IMG]

As you can see, those sleeping 7-8 hours a night have significantly higher testosterone levels than those who sleep anything less. Once you drop down to 4 hours of sleep, your testosterone levels are less than HALF those of someone who sleeps for 8 hours a night. Sleep is vitally important to maintaining optimal testosterone levels.

So how long should you sleep? 7 hours should be a minimum, for anyone. Don't go by how you feel. Provided that you're a healthy young guy who exercises and keeps fit, you should be feeling right as rain on as little as 5 hours of sleep - but that doesn't mean 5 hours of sleep is enough. Not at all. You should be getting at least 7.

If you work out (as you should do if you took the rest of my advice! ;)) then you should aim to get a little more than that, to allow for additional recovery. I suggest 8-9 hours on the nights where you can get that many, and 7 hours on the nights where you can't.

---

Get these 3 things done right, and provided you don't have anything wrong with you that's affecting your T levels - then after getting these things sorted they should be on the high side for your age group.

12. Phil Harmonica

Phil Harmonica Fapstronaut

As a rule of thumb, if there is a supplement capable of producing significant increases in testosterone, it is currently a Schedule IV controlled substance (illegal in the US). The vast, vast majority of legal "test boosters" have either been proven scientifically ineffective or are yet to be studied. The one exception of an effective test supplement that I'm aware of is DHEA, but nearly all of that research is on post-menopausal women.

Follow JesusGreen's advice

13. The best thing to do if you expect low T etc is see your doctor for a complete physical. T isn't just a sex hormone. Have everything checked out. If you are over 40 your doctor might even suggest a urologist if you are having issues. I recently had all "the plumbing" checked (no it wasn't fun) and had one minor issue that needed to explored further. Don't try to play doctor yourself with the stuff especially if take medicine for other conditions.

14. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

I just started using TestWorx, which was a pretty highly reviewed supplement on Amazon. I've only been on it two weeks. I'm also eating better and working out harder, though--so it's hard to say how much of my improved feelings are due to the supplement alone, if any.

15. Abdal

Abdal Fapstronaut

Good point!