1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation Practice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Count Chocula, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Fapstronaut

What's your meditation practice like?

Personally, I meditate every morning for 10-20 minutes. I practice zen [​IMG]buddhism. But I also sometimes incorporate the teachings of Nichiren.

I have a small spot in my room behind a folding screen where I meditate.

What's everyone else's practice look like?

User047 likes this.
  2. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Fapstronaut

I learned TM (Transcendental Meditation) from a certified teacher but I've been struggling to practice it lately due to my sleep routines.

It's simply amazing, works like magic. TM is known as an effortless technique - you don't have to do anything special. I normally do 2 sessions (each 20 minutes) on my bed with a pillow on the back.

You can practice TM anywhere like chair, sofa, on the floor etc. I close my eyes and think my mantra and the magic starts happening.

How long have you been meditating and what positive effects did you experience?

Easy_Rider likes this.
  3. Hello!

I do meditation in its Christian form and it is truly great. I pratice Centering Prayer (similar to TM) for a while now and I can see much results. Way more love and peace towards others and this awesome Presence that I feel..

But I struggle with regularity, how do you manage to do it 20min dwice a day? Do you live alone?

4. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    if i ever get back into meditating i want to try meditating in the cold winter season with no shirt,hopeully my spirit can totally detach from the physical they found mummified monks in the meditation position very extraordinary

5. Count Chocula

I've been practicing Zen for about four months. The first couple of months were touch and go, here and there, but over the past month I have meditated (without fail) every day (almost always in the morning) for at least 10 minutes. I give it the same priority as eating. And I find that if I don't meditate until later in the day, I can tell. My body and mind feel "off." It's amazing really the kind of clarity it brings. I'm happier in the mornings. I'm more present and mindful of the things I'm doing.

These are only a few benefits I'm seeing. I haven't heard of TM, but I will look into it now that you mention it.

6. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

This is something I've been trying to incorporate into my life for years, i`ve gone for periods of meditating four hours a day to not meditating once for months at a time.

I'm currently taking a mini-habit approach where my daily aim is ten mindful breaths. Thats all.

I usually end up doing much more than that, but its at-least making sure I start everyday

User047 likes this.
  7. User047

User047 Fapstronaut

Here are my statistic from insight timer.

[​IMG]

The most important thing is to meditate every single day, no exception!

I am practicing Vipassana Meditation.

Don Corleone likes this.
  8. I practice regular mindfulness.

Most of the time, I just sit down in the regular lotus pose and breath in and out through the nose and focus on that. Sometimes it feels to simple, but it works.

But I also meditate when I'm walking my dog. Focusing on my breath and being mindful of every little detail around me.

Tim G likes this.
  9. mungo

mungo Fapstronaut

I practice Meditation in the Taoist Water Tradition.
    I subscribed to an online programm with guided instructions by Taoist Master Bruce Frantzis, duration 16 months, costs 8 Dollars per month. Highly recommendable, very detailed, goes into depth. Deals with "inner solution" of all kinds of issues.
    "Ice to water, water to gas".
    Takes time.
    Very effective if you commit yourself to it, 20 min a day.
    If interested : http://www.energyarts.com/de/group/taoist-meditation-circle-group

10. Count Chocula

Thanks for the tip! I love the Tao Te Ching; I'll have to give this a try.

-The Count

11. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

I'm glad I found this thread. I really want to make meditation a big part of my reboot. I've started meditating every morning for 15 minutes. I mainly follow the techniques I learned at local Buddhist meditation centre. I focus on my breathing and count seven breaths. If I go past the 7 count or I catch myself thinking about something else, I come back to my breath and start counting from 1 again. It is very effective at calming my mind and I find I can better ignore sexual fantasies and other urges during the day.

Count Chocula likes this.
  12. I am trying to learn more about the discipline of the tao

Hi guys, i only started meditating earlier this month, and do not have any true form other than focused breathing & looking within. But i do love my meditation, i almost have been meditating 3x a day.

I only started, but i took to it quite naturally. Looking to go into more disciplines within the practice, any suggestions?

Count Chocula likes this.
  13. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

I'm relatively inexperienced with meditation but I now meditate once a day as part of my reboot. 3 x a day is great. Have you noticed that it has helped resist the urge to PMO?

As suggestions of how to deepen your meditation practice, I haven't done much of this myself but I've read that you can use your meditation focus to analyse negative states of mind (like anger, envy, lust) and kind of pull them apart - see where they come from, why the arise and how to deal with them when they do. That something that I hope I can learn to do.

A leaf likes this.
  14. Oh yes, definitely brother
    meditation is gaving someone like me [who is restless, addictive and imaginative] a sense of centre and mindfulness over my body. My goal is to master myself and find better balance within.

Best part is, I feel I can breathe again, yaay!
    But I am still a quite wary and watchful over my progress, mainly due to all the years I've had this addiction. Still, I would recommend meditation for others especially the impatient ;).

Funny, I was looking at focused practice with a partner whose personality was the exact opposite to mine. I dunno, i guess for a balance of the flow of energy.
    I just feel practicing alone can equip one with mindfulness AND being more present in the moment. But that discipline to understand the flow of energy with a partner, and honor it...i guess, teaches the delicate energy between us and how best to give & take from the source.

Thank you brother, for the idea on in-depth analyses. Ill keep up the practice and definitely pay attention to more inner demons as they swiftly come to attack.
    Peace

15. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

Then I will definitely increase my meditation practice then. That sounds a lot like me!

I'm definitely noticing the way my addicted brain tries to trick me (tempt me?) with sexual images or thoughts. The more I learn to let them go, the more my brain tries to hook me. It is interesting and is good for me to see that my PMO addiction is not the whole of me.

16. Count Chocula

Hey Leaf & db001,

Thanks for checking back in with this thread! I'm no master, but I do know a bit about Zen (what I practice). It's helpful for me in so so many ways.
    1. It curbs my addictive need for PMO. If I'm feeling an urge and I'm home, I meditate.
    2. I do it (without fail) every morning, even if I'm traveling. This 10 minutes is the cornerstone of creating a positive mindset for the day and keeps me devoted to prayer and mindfulness to start each day.
    3. I'm more patient, more focused, and less restless because I am learning how to cultivate serenity though silence and stillness. This isn't always easy and it's not magic and I still have a lot to learn myself, but I know it's working.
    4. If you're really interested and want to study and understand why you should cultivate Zen into your life, check out this book if you can: Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice. It's a pretty simple guide into the key precepts of Zen Buddhism & zazen (sitting meditation).

A leaf and db001 like this.
  17. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

Thanks for describing your experience. It is inspiring to me. I'll find that book you mentioned. I've meditated on and off before but never as consistently as I have the past week. I think being regular makes a big difference. The only meditation place near me is a Tibetan Buddhist centre. They have free meditation groups that I have started going to. It also means that for one night a week at least I'm not at home tempted to PMO which is good.

A leaf likes this.