1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

MASCULINITY IS A LOADED TERM THAT FUCKS EVERYONE

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by solsticeboy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. solsticeboy

solsticeboy Fapstronaut

So we're told - as "Boys" or "young men" - to date as many people and have sex before we're 18 and rack up the numbers of women we've slept with and what happens to those kinds of guys? They get put on billboards for Calvin Klein; they get featured as trope characters or starring roles in big budget action or adventure films, they get fawned and gleamed over for their muscular phsyique and strength and praised/worshipped for their assumed sexual prowess and "conquests" in the bedroom, the nightclub, the bar, the pool, the hotel, hostel, etc...and it basically says that "if you're not like this man, you're not a real man."

This is a BIG lie that does tremendous damage to men and also encourages other women to go for guys - while many of them respectable, friendly and good-natured that many want to be around as friends - who put down other guys because they aren't physically or romantically/sexually magnificent.

Plain and simple, when the concepts of what it means to be a man is plastered everywhere where guys who don't fit the stereotype or conventions of traditional masculinity, it puts other men who are quite "normal" and well-meaning down and says "you're not a real man - you're a pussy-whipped faggot and no one likes you for being skinny/fat, emotional, open and honest, passionate about interests or humane and sympathetic."

I should know because not only did I get the blunt end of this club in High School, I also swung it a few times here and there.

And then we get mentally, emotionally and physically despondent and turn to substances, other forms of entertainment or pleasure that can take over our lives and energy not as an actual problem, but a symptom of a bigger problem. Let's not take away any responsibility from ourselves when we could've perhaps been more disciplined, self-respecting and open...we all make mistakes and it's part of being human and we have no shame in admitting it. But if we're going to look for cause, we should look for it in the commentary, belittling remarks and attitudes we see everywhere, from men, women, family members, co workers and the media.

It's a component of this mess that's simple to understand (from my perspective).

Jamie_K, skeptical and MeTP like this.
  2. Thankfully this lie has not confronted me a lot in my (admittedly short) lifetime. It is a lie none-the-less.
    Good on you for calling it out. Men who embrace authentic masculinity are great :D.

Deleted Account and skeptical like this.
  3. JWwantsalife

JWwantsalife Fapstronaut

Tell me, would you be more attracted towards girls with a curvy body or just simply, quite feminine? Or would you automatically go up to fat/skinny girls and make friends with them first? I guess most of us would choose the former. That's called the first impression. Masculinity is one of the important factors when it comes to first impressions. Don't get me wrong tho, first impressions aren't everything. But they are something. I would rather have a girlfriend that is average looking and is kind-hearted than a beautiful girlfriend who has a shitty personality. But tell me, how do you know one has a good personality? You mean all good looking people are bad while all average people are good? You never will know until you talk to them, which is exactly the problem that I mentioned earlier, you will only talk to people with good first impressions first.

But I have to agree that some males are taking masculinity wrongly and many are suffering due to this stereotype. That is one problem society has created for itself. And some men with disorders and disabilities are often looked down upon, that I'm very aware. HOWEVER, don't let this stereotype be an excuse for not striving to be a better man. I would like to think that this stereotype is here mainly for men to improve themselves. Like take for example, one man who is rather fat. Wouldn't he want a better body? But what if he thinks that hey, I'm not going to fall for this stereotype and what's the harm in being fat? And with those thoughts, he gives up his training program and proper dieting. Do you think his thoughts are good? I assume not.

So what is the real problem? Is stereotyping of masculinity the real problem? No, I think the real problem is that you're not accepting yourself.
    Have you seen how some fat/skinny people can be the best people to hang out with? Do you think it's just because they have friends who accepted them? Or do you think that they just accepted that they are fat/skinny? I think it would be the latter in this case. And by accepting themselves, they work hard to make themselves a better person, so other people's mean comments will never affect them because they know their weaknesses and will never let other people use it. In fact, they will turn their weakness into a strength.

So please, accept yourself and make yourself someone better, don't just complain about all the stereotypes and expect something to change. Remember, the world will not change for you, only you must change for the world.

4. MasSingo

MasSingo Fapstronaut

Interesting, but I'm interested to a slim (not really skinny) tomboy girl. It's her personality that I liked. It's kinda something inside her that attarated me from the very 1st day we met. Sadly, she's got lots of male friends as many tomboys do. We went out twice. She liked me too, I knew it. But, at that time she needed to get away from things, she took a course out of town for 3 months. So, I can't see her everyday. Another guy knew it, he followed her to that course and it totally blew my chances with her. The guy is her boyfriend now. I'm still bitter about it.

5. MasSingo

MasSingo Fapstronaut

True. ANd it even difines what happiness and confidence are.
    We questioned what is meant "to be yourself". How can we be ourself if this manliness discourse said we are not manly enough? Idk. This comparing to others that made us unhappy about ourself and made us having such low esteem.

6. IGY

IGY Guest

What does that even fucking mean @Rubidium? o_O

7. I guess by authentic I just meant original, unique, down to earth. Masculinity is mostly an inner virtue in my opinion. The people that I know who have authentic masculinity - are very respectable and I think they are pretty cool. :cool: