1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Making friends in high school.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by elevate, Jul 2, 2019.

1. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

A friend's teenage daughter is going into her first year in high school after the summer.

She can be a bit shy, but has a great personality once you get to know her.

She won't know anyone from junior high going into her new school.

I'll be seeing her throughout the summer and I would like to be able to give her some quality advice to help her make new friends.

I'm not sure if my advice would work for a teenage girl or not.

What I have so far =

Make an effort to smile and say hello to others.

Compliment little things about others.

Try to be more open and have a positive attitude which allows others permission to do the same.

People want to be around those that share positive energy rather than try to protect / conserve their energy.

The Great Safecracker likes this.
  2. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I cannot help you here. I tried to be friendly in high-school but I only got beaten and made fun of. I got so bitter I became the sarcastic and angry man I am today, and now people likes me.

3. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Here's a pretty cool Ted Talk on body language and communication:

I've found it to be useful, especially the points made during the last 5 minutes or so.

elevate likes this.
  4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

The advice I wish I got when I was 14:

"Do what feels right for you, not what you believe others want from you. Take care of your needs before taking care of others' wants. If you feel like you don't belong, come and let's talk about it; alcohol, drugs and cigarettes are rarely the solution."

When I was a teenager I wished someone would listen to my difficulties, not just dismiss them as "ah... teenage days, so wonderful". I believe I would have had better friends if my parents would listen to and acknowledge my difficulties in making friends.

elevate likes this.