1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Making amends (or should I start again)?

A place for rebooters to meet and discuss 12-Step programs in conjunction with their reboot

1. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

Hi,

I'm working on Step 8 - making amends - but I wonder if I should start from Step 1 with the group.

What do you think?

Thanks

vxlccm likes this.
  2. Dr_prof

Dr_prof Fapstronaut

Hi db. Have you done the previous steps before step 8? You ought to do it in order.

3. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

Hi. Thanks for your message. Yes, I did the other steps in order but on my own. I admitted my addiction and that I was powerless over it and looked to my higher power (in my case the Buddhist eightfold path etc) to remove it from my life. I used this forum as a way to tell one other person about my addiction. I wrote out my history of addiction and how it has impacted me and others in my life. I've started attending a weekly Buddhist meditation group as a way to keep me focused. Do you recommend that I do anything else? Thanks for your advice.

vxlccm likes this.
  4. Dr_prof

Dr_prof Fapstronaut

Have you tried any of the regular sex related fellowships such as Sex and Love addicts Anonymous? Personally I have found that my sex and love addiction is far great than just PMO. I would really suggest you restart the steps with a sponsor at a local meeting. There are various ones to try. SLAA, Sexaholics Anonymous and Sex addicts anonymous, to name a few.

There is no rush in completing the steps. You have already done the hard work with step 4 so it shouldn't take long to work through them again with a sponsor. I would think that will be greatly rewarding for you.

db001 likes this.
  5. db001

db001 Fapstronaut

Hi. Thanks for your help. No I've never tried any of these fellowships but I am willing to. Do you recommend one over the other?

6. Dr_prof

Dr_prof Fapstronaut

I have tried SLAA, SA and SAA.

SA and SAA tend to be just men, SLAA is more mixed. Out of the three, I found SLAA most helpful as I felt it covered the most aspects of sex and love addiction (the love bit). SAA and SA tend to focus on Sex alone.

7. Shema

Shema New Fapstronaut

Hi, I'm Shema. I was a member of SAA for a while (about 6 months) and regularly attended meetings during that time. I found it useful. However, it did not work for me in the long run, because my accountability partners seemed to lose interest, so I stopped going.

Please do not feel sorry for me. I was an accountability partner for someone after this, and I lost interest. (I still feel quite guilty about this, because I know how hurt I was when I felt that my accountability partners had abandoned me.)

I now believe it takes an uncommonly empathetic and dedicated person to be an accountability partner to a stranger. Do you know how long I have been an addict? At least 20 years. And in that time I have made the same mistakes repeatedly, getting on, and falling off the wagon. (And, the kicker is, that people who do not know of my addiction - and I believe that not even my wife knows - think that I am a strong-willed, resolute and organized person. And in many areas of my life this is true). But to get back to my original point. It is difficult to see how a stranger can be expected to have the patience to put up with my failing in the same way, over and over again, and with my continuous backsliding.

I believe that I can do better, not just because I will rededicate myself to the 12 step plan, but because I have greater self-knowledge concerning my motivations, my character and my triggers.

I have joined this group, not just because I feel the 12 steps are valuable, but because with a group, no one person has the obligation to feel responsible for me. We can share the burden for each other. Also, I am motivated to succeed because I am religious. And while that fact has made my continuous failures even more painful, it has helped me focus on getting myself right. I am elderly, and by any statistical measure, my time in your reality is diminishing. If I can look my Lord in the face and say not only 'I never gave up' but 'I finally got free' I am content.
    Love Shema

goodnice 2.0 likes this.
  8. Dr_prof

Dr_prof Fapstronaut

Welcome Shema to the group. If you struggled with SAA perhaps you might find SLAA more helpful. I used to do saa for several years before moving onto SLAA.

9. Shema

Shema New Fapstronaut

Dr_prof: Thank you for your reply. Why do you prefer SLAA to SAA? Regards Shema

10. Dr_prof

Dr_prof Fapstronaut

I felt that SLAA dealt with the love addiction part better than sex addiction. I realised I wasnt a sex addict but more a love addict (need to feel loved). Also SLAA deals with the opposite addiction (anorexia - ie avoidance of emotion, sex or social situations), again which I relate to.

11. Shema

Shema New Fapstronaut

Dr_prof: Thank you for your response.
    Shema