1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Lonliness, Friendships, and NoFap

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Archibald Quimbleton, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Archibald Quimbleton

Archibald Quimbleton New Fapstronaut

I just watched an interesting TED talk (link below) about the nature of addiction. The speaker states that addictions form not out of exposure to a drug (like PMO), but rather by lacking significant relationships in ones life. Looking at my own relationships right now, I realize I have no significant nearby relationships. I don't really have any friends, my girlfriend lives out of state, my nearest family lives 4 hours away from me. However, whenever I am spending time with my girlfriend, I do not relapse. In fact, I feel face little to no temptation to relapse. When I am home from college with my family, I have only relapsed once, when I was pretty stressed.

The scientist in me was wondering, am I the only one who feels this? Will fixing my social life by forming strong friendships with the people around me fix my masturbation addiction? If people could comment below on whether or not they feel this is the case for them, that would be great.

2. I totally agree with this, speaking to what you have said and commenting without listening to the talk. We were created by God to have relationship with Him and our fellow human beings. Whenever this becomes disordered our whole state gets messed up. It is both a natural and spiritual consequence. There are countless scientific studies to support this... beginning from the need to interact with other humans from Day 1. If a baby does not receive touch it can die. You have volunteers who do this in hospitals for premature children... their chance of survival greatly increases. If a mother does not talk to her child ... the child can develop brain damage. Human touch has been shown to to mitigate stress and anxiety ... certain neurochemical pathways are activated that promote wellbeing. We all know what feeling when we receive a genuine hug... pat on the back or other forms of affection from others (not the fake hugs or touch from people you distrust which would cause tension of course). This makes sense since in the not so ordered past ... someone separated from their tribe faced almost certain death. I.E. separation promotes anxiety. I could ramble on but you get the point..

3. I listened to the video. It was excellent.