1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Letting Go of My Childish and Detrimental Habits/Addictions

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mozzi, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Mozzi

Mozzi Fapstronaut

So I'm 17 years old and a high school junior. I am in a position where I have a lot of opportunities in the world. However, in order to mature and readily accept these opportunities, this year I am trying to let go of my habits and addictions that have proven to be detrimental to my progression.

PMO was one of these detrimental habits. I originally thought it was not interfering with my daily life, but then I realized that I could only go to sleep after masturbating. This became a disaster in the day because it became a challenge to wake up, and an even bigger challenge staying awake during the school day. That is why I am trying NoFap. I want to remove this unnecessary struggle in my life before I'm an adult and become dependent on it to survive (and from what I have seen here, it's quite possible).

I also have a poor diet and a generally sedentary lifestyle. I suffer from selective eating disorder (picky eating is an understatement-- I get anxiety attacks over food, which is sort of pathetic) and I don't really exercise outside of mandatory gym class at school. In order to fix this, I am seeing a nutritionist and I'm going to sign up for a gym membership once I get my car in February/March.

I can also be a compulsive shopper. While I never really buy junk like some do, I tend to go a little overboard and I sometimes find it hard to distinguish between "need" and "want". This habit will be a little more challenging to remedy, but hopefully you guys on here can give me advice. I feel like it's not going to be enough to simply say "I'll do my best not to impulse spend".

I'll be journaling here about my self improvement (mainly my weight loss/progress on eating habits) in a similar way to my NoFap Adventure. Hopefully you guys have stories to tell that will motivate me along the way, and in the end maybe i can return the favor.

2. Savoy Truffle

Savoy Truffle Fapstronaut

Hello there, Mozzi!

You have my full support on your journey - im very glad to see young guys like you realizing the problem from an earlier age, determined to remove it! :) I, myself, am suffering from compulsive behavior (which can be related to different things) and just like you im trying to get over it once and for all, along with my P. addiction and i have to say that completely focusing on your life goals, reducing stress to minimum and so on, definitely helps - i have started a regime of a healthier life (improving my nutrition habits, meditating, doing sports and so on) one week ago and i can easily say that i feel much better already :) Of course, the key point here is to keep this going everyday :) Also, when you completely focus on those things that you truly like and the things that you want to achieve in life, that helps you to stick with reality and whenever you start experiencing any compulsive symptoms, it's much easier to say to yourself "ok, stop it, let it go.." and you don't feel this urge to go over this action again and again.
    I find it really inspirational when i see younger men fighting those, because when i was your age (im 25 now), i couldn't recognize my problems, i didn't know that i have an actual problem going on there, my life was very chaotic (as most addicts' lives). So, don't give up under any circumstances - you, as everybody else here, have what it takes to overcome your problems and get the life you want to have. :)

I wish you luck!

3. Mulekite

Mulekite Fapstronaut