1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's stop pretending, even amongst professed Christians, casual sex is an accepted thing.

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

if someone follows the teachings of Jesus in the gospels then he must believe that Jesus was the son of God, he was crucified and then rose from the dead or else they wouldn't follow the teachings of Jesus. Would they?

2. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

3. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Not necessarily. There are millions of people who think the teachings of Jesus were beautiful, moral, etc. etc ... but reject his claims of being God's son, or of having divine nature, or rose from the dead. They have chosen to live primarily by Christian virtue and morality without being actual Christians.

4. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

If they reject His claims of being God's Son they don't follow His teaching but somebody's else. For example Moslems acknowledge Jesus as a prophet but don't recognise His divinity.
    Some communists in the past stated that Jesus was the first communist but they were atheists yet....
    Personally I wonder how can one call himself a Christian not believing that Christ is God.
    It's the same as if I called myself a Moslem not believing that Mohammed was the prophet.
    Or can one be a murderer not having murdered anyone.
    Or can one call himself a feminist believing that a woman should stay at home cooking tidying and bringing up her children?

These milions you wrote about are not Christians. They are His fans only. A fan club community.
    If you call someone a footballer you mean that he plays football but a football fan can be everybody, which doesn't mean they all play football.

I hope so but only God knows whether I'm not a fan only.

Deleted Account and Themadfapper like this.
  5. You're right... How embarrassing! I'm going to edit that part after finishing this post. I first come across the story on Twitter when a Stanford scientist who's written for many respected publications posted it. Checked on Google and a few websites were reporting it as well. I also noticed the article gave a link to the results of a study on Plos One. I suppose my mistake was to ignoring that the story appeared on a website that had a conspiracy section and that no established news sites were reporting it. Another thing was I didn't fully read the Plos One study. Having said that when I first did a Google search Snoops hadn't written anything on the story so all I could see was all these websites reporting it. But I apologise for posting fake news, I hope I can avoid doing it in the future.

To answer your question yes I think adultery is wrong and swinging like Polygamy can lead to complications. Although I think people should be free to do it they want to.

6. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Not money, but the love of money was thought the root of all evil. As for the austerity, it was the Protestants that advocated this.... the miserly accumulation of wealth showed you were blessed by God [the prosperity doctrine]. The older catholic countries were more about letting the money freely circulate.... though of course just as greedy in the end.

It's all a question of degrees and limitations with money, politics, reason, science.... women... Unless you cultivate a sacred space in the middle of it all, the finer things in life just get crowded out.

NF104534 likes this.
  7. Buzz Lightyear

The problem is puritanism. And it's interesting the way that was, historically speaking, always at odds with art. Puritanism was perhaps the first modern ideology.

The great tragedy of the modern church [read protestant for modern] is its failure to deal with the reality of human nature. It tends to be a religion of the head, in both the rational and emotional aspects. It is made palatable to the modern secular ego... a veneer of belief tacked onto an essentially secular economic way of viewing the world... and then add to that a hype and an emotionalism.

The old religion was very much grounded in an art and culture that was resistant to the modern way of life. It was the inheritor of a classical culture that stretched all the way back, in continuity with antiquity [hence the use of 'Roman']. The importance of art was always understood in its role in sublimating erotic desire... desire is redirected toward the sublime... it has its outlet, in need of no repression.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  8. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

That may be true, but that's not the duality you were proposing.

You said that people who follow Christ's teachings also believe in his divinity, death, and resurrection. That's simply not the case. There are people who follow his moral teachings because they find them good, but reject the fundamental claims of the gospel. I agree that they are not Christians. I never said they were. Let's not get into an argument about something stupid.

9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

The matter who is a Christian and who only His fan is not stupid. On the contrary, it's fundamental.
    You could ask if I don't exagerrate.
    This is a proof.
    Look, why are you on this forum? In order to kill some time discussing various topics?
    You are an addict and first of all you seek something that could end your PMO problems which destroy your life for many years, agreed?

To be brief.
    PMO addiction is my past. I'm healed, free, I'm living my second life, a post addiction life. I haven't spent any cent on a therapist, I've never been on a therapy, nobody told me what is an effective way to quit this evil.
    One day, 4 years ago , I firmly decided to try to do ALL what my Church and the Bible say. Not to choose some things what I like or what are logical or pleasant to me, but ALL the teaching from 2 sources ( Church and the Bible).

I can see many Christians ( in the sense of being baptised) on this and others PMO fora and I regret that they are still addicts because they don't want to understand that they have all in their church and the Bible to help them effectively.
    Their mistake is that they don't want to live according to the FULL teaching of Jesus. They only choose - I take this and reject that. So they prevent God from effectively helping them.
    If you are a Christian you know now why you are still an addict.
    For sure you don't need to believe me but the fact is - I am free after 33 years of my anguish and I don't need to believe now, I KNOW now why and what and Who helped me effectively.

10. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

@Mr Eko, am I to understand that you no longer sin?

11. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

You do 40 percent of all Christians injustice with general statements like this. I know you threw the word "tend" in there, but your post still comes across as condescending. I agree that many Protestants I know may have this "veneer" of belief, but can you claim it's different for your average Catholic? I went to a Jesuit school and developed relationships with many priests and lay Catholics. I now worship, work, and study with many who would be labeled Protestants. In my experience no denomination has a monopoly on the Holy Spirit, which, in this Christians opinion, is the agent by which true life changing faith can take place.

Protestants may have done much to damage the administrative and ecclesiastical unity of the church. They may have done much to damage the uniformity of the church, in terms of ritual and doctrine. But, in my humble opinion, attitudes of condescension and exclusivity towards other believers damages the unity of the spirit, and that is far worse. I know Protestants are often guilty of this as well... but... here we are. The printing press has happened and it's not going away. For better or worse everyone has a bible and can think for themselves. Even the pope seems to have a higher opinion of Protestants than you do.

I'd quote something from Ephesians here about the unity of spirit, but I guess that might be too Protestant of me. :D

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

No, I'm a sinner. What I wrote is I TRY to do all my Church and the Bible say. I didn't say I DO all. For a man it's practically impossible to do maximum, all but it's possible to TRY to do all, more and more gradually. The more you approach the all the more freedom and joy you've got. I say this from my own experience, not because I read this in a religious book or heard a preacher

13. Buzz Lightyear

How do you know your 'unity of spirit' isn't just an empty idea in your head? Because the holy spirit tells you?? How difficult is it to understand that just as God was incarnated in man, so too, he has provided an institution called the Church. Without it, you are simply left adrift to believe what you think best. Look at the havoc being played out in Protestant lives today as they wrestle endlessly with what church to go to, or whether they need one altogether.

It's a question of logic. Consider the trajectory most Protestant churches are on. The sacraments are going. Who bothers with baptism, or holy communion.. who even really believes in it? And coming back to the topic of the thread... who believes in the sacrament of marriage? Most in the modern church see marriage as just a contract. And then most are also feminist minded. And couldn't even imagine a political system outside of blessed democracy. There is no sense of the sacred in the modern church. It's a spiritual and cultural holocaust.

14. We have to strive for unity though. All denominations. It's kinda impossible now for everyone to follow one denomination.

15. Buzz Lightyear

Yes, which is why you should convert to the Catholic Church. The Church is not a denomination.

NF104534 likes this.
  16. Protestant Churches in my country are not like this. They are very traditional. In fact, and I'm not attacking you but the Catholic Church in my country is more liberal than Protestant churches. Let's stop fighting and strive for unity.

17. Buzz Lightyear

Study your history. The reason that there is no unity, is because Protestants such as Luther broke away. And these national churches subsequently splintered into smaller and smaller groups. What has been white-washed as the 'Reformation' was in fact the first Revolution.

What's happened is religion has been privatized. When people argue about it, is usually from the egocentric/ ideological point of view - Luther's, 'Here I stand, I can do no other'. A true Christian, if they were concerned about more than their petty self, would be thinking about the wider cultural and historical ramifications involved, that is, the public aspect of religion [religio.. to be bound].

18. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

Maybe ... just maybe ... the Christians you you label as "still addicts because they don't want to understand" ... that "their mistake is that they don't want to live according to the FULL teaching" ... maybe those people are just like you, trying their best. Maybe they do want to live according to Christ's teachings and just have a hard time doing it. Paul himself said he did the things he didn't want to do. Sometimes people try their best and still fail. This is a really, really hard addiction to conquer. By far, more difficult that substance abuse.

Get off the judgment seat and quit assuming that Christians who still struggle simply aren't 'trying hard enough' or something. You don't know each person's story. Some of your comments come off as very self-righteous.

soberhenry and wwart1020 like this.
  19. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

No, it isn't if you do it with God but it's almost impossible to beat it if you do it on your own with your will power.
    Maybe it sounds so although it's not my intention. Maybe it's because some things are absolutely sure for me. But everybody can think of me what they like.

wwart1020 likes this.
  20. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

Thanks for the correction, I left out the "love" of money. I don't know about the Protestants advocating austerity or being ascetic, but Jesus did advocate this in the new testament. He was very much anti-wealth at least in my recollection of the new testament.