Leaving Earth?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by King Og of Bashan, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:01 AM.

1. Will human beings ever leave Earth to live on another planet? If so which one? I'm not so sure myself since most planets seem very hostile to life. I'd say Mars is the next best option to Earth but even that isn't so great at the moment. The universe might change which will make it more possible for humans to live on but with the way things are I'd say the answer is no.

Augie likes this.
  2. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

I doubt it. Firstly, any planet near enough to get to is extremely hostile and it would take a crap load of money to establish even a very small community. Secondly, any planet near enough to get to at our current rate of travel will still be burnt up when the sun expands, so its essentially useless unless we develop a way to ship back resources in mass. Thirdly, we need to be able to travel much faster to really get anywhere. Right now it would take between 40 days and about a year to even get to mars.

3. JedWiley

JedWiley Fapstronaut

We need new technologies, we are not ready now, right now we need to focus on technologies to save Earth or we will become extinct. The population of this planet is about to spin out of control and climate change too, its pretty bleak. Elon Musk might come up with something, lets hope.

4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Space ships? All I want is my telephone cables back so I can stop using my neighbor's WiFi.

5. Augie

Augie Fapstronaut

Is it possible? Sure. All it will take is advancement in technology. Will I see it in my lifetime? Probably not. Do I care? Nope.

WackinWolf likes this.
  6. rafael33

rafael33 Fapstronaut

I feel privileged to live on planet earth. Maybe as humans we will survive. Needs a lot of appreciation from all of us. To prevent uncontrollable climate change we only have a few years.

7. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

8. bken

bken Fapstronaut

There were plans to send 4 humans to Mars by 2027, total cost 6 billion dollars, one way ticket, as the first people to ever live on Mars (actual colony). A group of 100 persons in total was planned to go, so many more would have been following in the years after that, but apparently the companies planning this went out of business. So change of plans. The mission's site (mars-one.com) is still active.

It wouldn't be too bad, having a second planet, it would take a lot of stress off this one.. Imagine the benefits it would have for the climate and what not.