1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of motivation to socialize

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by mc_9393, Dec 22, 2015.

1. mc_9393

mc_9393 Fapstronaut

I've been doing nofap for about 9 months now, with few relapses and my own share of ups and downs.

Recently I came to Japan to do an exchange for my last semester of university. I'm 22 years old and I've been here for 3 months, and a month ago I met this really beautiful girl who I've been dating for about a month now.

After a month of regular sex 2-3 times a week, I've noticed that I lost motivation to study Japanese, to exercise and I feel so depressed and anxious now. It's like I'm back in a flatline, and it sucks.

Another thing I noticed is that I have no motivation to socialize. Even when I try to get myself out there and am out with friends, I just don't feel like talking to people. It drains my energy to try and hold a conversation with someone and I'd rather just keep quiet, or be by myself.

This is really unnerving for me because I really recently feel so alone here in Japan. Besides my gf, I don't have anyone I'm close to in Japan, no one to talk to when I'm having problems.

Anyone else experiencing this? I need some advice to get out of this rut I'm in..

2. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

maybe you dont get along well with the people around you. it couldnt be all you. not everyone gets along well with everyone. i always got along well with very few people. earlier i used to feel guilty that maybe there's some problem with me. but now i dont. maybe the problem is that the people around you have different perspective to life than you.

3. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Language and culture can be a sudden and shocking divide (even when good will is all around), more so than when one is in their own familial environment. If you are not well-versed in the language (you mention you lost interest in practicing), it's hard to communicate and be social, unless you are the extroverted daring type who puts his foot out anyway, despite if your speaking the language is fraught with errors. Might that be the major factor that isolates you? And, perhaps the different culture overall - you may be missing your home turf? You need not socialize if you're not up to it, and you need not get depressed about not doing so either. Be at peace with yourself and extend yourself when and where you want to and enjoy your own peaceful solitude when this fits you best. But, if your going to Japan was meant as an opportunity, do not turn aside too much the events or occasions in which you had hoped to participate.

4. avatarivn

Well, maybe its just the japanese culture. I have heard Japan is more oriented towards introversion, and they could be slower to consider people as friends. In addition, it might be that some people just don't know what to say to you for fear of insulting you or saying something inappropiate. Or perhaps its Homesickness* ?

In any case, the best you can do is to take full advantage of this opportunity to live in another country. Try to know more of this country, to be fully present, even if you have to go and do everything by yourself. Also, pay attention to yourself, if something is bothering you or if you are not sleeping well. I know this might not make you enjoy socializing but at least is better than return home and regret all you DIDN'T DO while studying abroad.

(safe to skip) Sorry for going offtopic. About your experience, I had been wondering something about Japan: Is it true that the Japanese people are not so welcoming with foreigners ? I saw a documentary about Japan once and a person menctioned that "no matter how well you speak the language or know the customs, you never will be considered japanese by the locals"

* Homesickness is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects. Sufferers typically report a combination of depressive and anxious symptoms, withdrawn behavior and difficulty focusing on topics unrelated to home.