1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got back from first date

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Mankrik, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Dracoterra

Dracoterra Fapstronaut

Be careful with that line of thinking. She seems like she's everything you've ever wanted, she's amazing, and you might hope to marry her some day. But you also need to remember that she is not responsible for you, and you are also not responsible for her. Enjoy the moment, but also guard your heart.

What you might want to look into here is emotional chastity--essentially, making sure that you recognize the relationship for what it is not only on a sexual level, but also on an emotional one.

Mankrik likes this.
  2. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I agree. I feel like nofap has allowed me to experience real love and be disciplined. However I feel emotionally attached to this girl in a way I never could prior to being rewired. It could be the best thing ever, but if it's not mutual it's gonna be a hard fall. I'm really trying to work on keeping my options open and not putting all my eggs in one basket at least in the early stages.

3. Mattb64rc

Mattb64rc Fapstronaut

Best advice I could give is dont worry about it. Care, but also dont care. Thats the approach I took with my gf of 1 year and 2 months. I had resigned myself to a life of singleness about 5 mins before I found her profile (by COMPLETE accident) on facebook (we met once at the church we both attend). When we first started chatting she would always cut the convo abruptly short (months into the relationship she revealed that she planned on friendzoning me but I wouldn't let her, lol). But I knew from when I first met her things were going to work out differently. Some times you don't know, but deep down, you do know.

TC10, Mankrik and Hitto like this.
  4. First off congratz on the date!

Secondly, like others have said, I'd recommend guarding your heart. I don't know if you have been best friends for ages before going on a date or what but you probably will want to rein in your emotions because in reality she's probably not that into you. yet. If you haven't been good friends with her for a long time you'll want to keep your eyes open as well because she may not be all you have "fantasized" her up to be. On the other hand if you have been good friends and really know her well, she probably hasn't been thinking about you in a "romantic" sort of way for that long (if at all) so you'll still need to keep your emotions in check. Anyways good luck on your school year and don't let her consume your thoughts/distract you too much!

Deleted Account and Mankrik like this.
  5. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Really solid advice. We haven't been friends very long or gotten to know each other until recently. We have to be apart for awhile because of school. I plan on sending her a text at the end of the week to ask how things went for her. It's frustrating but I need to be patient and play the long game but still keep my options open. It's difficult, I hope I can see her again before too long and work towards establishing our relationship as something more but also not come on too strong. It's all a bit much but I'm just going to keep a level head.

6. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

You're using words like "dream girl" and "real love". You're worrying about worst case scenarios. You're replaying mistakes you made. You're counting time between each text message. You're timing and planning when you respond back to her.

You're basically reacting way too much to everything she says and does. She laughs and smiles... you're happy. She says she's busy... your world is destroyed. You're completely attached to specific outcomes concerning her. That's why you're fucked. This leads to you acting in ways that you think will get her to like you. Which leads to not being real and more on the manipulation side of things. You're incredibly invested in this girl, so every time she acts negatively towards you... you're going to try even harder to act in a manner which you think will lead to positive results. You've completely lost any value you have towards yourself and surrendered it for the sake of her approval.

Outcome dependency kills attraction. A man who is too outcome focused approaches a woman solely to prove that he is able to make his desired outcome happen, not out of any real interest in her. That’s a very selfish attitude and will end up working against him. You're not allowing her the freedom to choose how she wants to live her life in terms of accepting or rejecting the real you.

You're like a leaf in the wind. Your emotions are flying everywhere. You're very unsure about yourself. So why should she be sure of being with you? If you're being the emotional one, that doesn't allow her the security to allow her emotions to be expressed. She basically wouldn't feel safe around you due to things like being neurotic / jealous / angry / needy / unable to make the right decisions / etc. Outcomes with external things / life / people will always be uncertain, but you should learn to be certain of your own self worth.

The problem you should be seeking answers to isn't whether or not she'll give you another chance. The question you need to be asking is how can you become a better man and understand women better.

Acting like you don't care / waiting a specific amount of time to respond to her = these are decisions you're making out of fear. If your world didn't revolve around her in such an unhealthy manner and you actually had a life you're interested in living, then you'd naturally be busy enough that you wouldn't respond as much. As for caring about her or not caring about her... respecting her choice about you is caring... not respecting that choice is your self centered outcome dependency. Not caring about her is trying to play games and trying to decode everything she says or does. Caring about her is being honest ("Hey. I miss you and I hope we can see each other again, but if that was the first and only date we'll ever have then I just wanted to let you know that I had a great time and I respect whatever your decision is."). Something like that expresses your desires without being attached to a self centered outcome or trying to manipulate her. This also shows that you're not here to play games and that you don't have time for anyone elses games.

Maturity, being secure, and honesty is what you need to work on... not "how or when do I text her?" or "how to decode everything she says or does". You can't control or own other people. It's her life.

7. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I like this point of view. This girl seems hard to read but I also think I'm way over thinking everything. I want to establish attraction but take things slow. I feel like there is genuine mutual interest but it's frustrating that we can't see each other for awhile. I think of her everyday. Not sure how strongly she feels about me. Would you recommend following her on social media?

8. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I agree with all of this and admittedly it's something I needed to hear. I don't feel like I'm pretending to be somebody else though. I feel like we made a genuine connection and we're both being our true selves. Yeah I'm thinking about it all too much and care very much about the outcome because I care a lot about this particular girl and don't want to mess up. I don't want to play games but coming on too strong or being too straight forward would be a mistake in my opinion. I don't want to seem easy. It's a game and a little bit of strategy has served me well so far. It's true Im selfish and unsure about myself, I'm young and have never been close with a girl before. However I still think I can pull this off if I execute a plan while still being myself and establish a more meaningful relationship so I can start feeling more comfortable and confident and in turn be able to provide her with love and an emotional outlet.

9. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

That's your problem. You see honesty and maturity as weakness. You see playing games and manipulation as something you need to do for other people to like you. You see her as the only thing that can make your life have any significance. If you're not being straight forward, then you're pretending to be somebody else.

Play games and people will play games with you. When you start a relationship with this as a foundation, you'll be hiding your intentions and walking on eggshells trying not to break the fragile state of your relationship for the rest of its lifespan. Even if you get what you want out of her this time around, there will definitely be a day where she doesn't give you what you want and your world will crumble every time. Sounds like a fun and healthy relationship.

10. Mattb64rc

Mattb64rc Fapstronaut

Yeah, I would. If nothing else your still friends right?

11. vinilzord2.0

vinilzord2.0 Fapstronaut

Damn bro, take it easy. It seems this is the first time you're interacting with a girl, given your excitement and amateur behavior. First of all, stop being so needy. Whatever you did worked, so don't ruin it by being a wimpy Beta. I'd seriously recommend you ghost her until she texts you again. Get on with your life and forget this girl for the moment. Regarding this topic there is a lot to cover, so I recommend you read The Rational Male and some inner-game books.

Deleted Account and Mankrik like this.
  12. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Message received but what specifically are you suggesting I do? If tell her hey by the way I have had a crush on you for years and I want something serious, she's just going to reject me. I want to take things slow and get to know her and once we become close I will disclose these feelings.

13. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Yeah I have taken a step back and put things in perspective, the initial post was less than an hour after my first ever date. That being said, Im going to keep my distance but still talk to her every now and then. I feel confident about another date when we are both back in the same city.

14. You don't have to go from one extreme to another extreme. There is a healthy balance where you can tell a woman how you feel about her without coming off like a creep or someone who is unstable. The best thing is to know when you're putting someone on a pedestal and to stop doing that as soon as possible.

Gotham Outlaw and Hitto like this.
  15. Ragnar.Lodbrok

Ragnar.Lodbrok Fapstronaut

Great advice!

I have seen some of your replies in other threads too, and I must say that you are normally spot on with your comments. :emoji_thumbsup:

16. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I consider taking things slow and telling her how I feel once we are closer is a healthy balance no? I'm not putting her on a pedestal I'm just someone whose young and inexperienced and really wants a girl to like me back.

Deleted Account likes this.
  17. I get that but have you asked yourself why you want them to like you back? Do you need their approval and validation? Women want men who aren't threatened by them and who aren't needy. The only way you can be both of those things is to be confident in yourself and to know you are enough for your own happiness. When you do that then you can have a healthy detachment from people which will allow you to recieve them as a gift.

Knighthawk, Hitto and Mankrik like this.
  18. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

This is wisdom that I lost somewhere along the way. I want her to like me back because I feel like I will be able to make her happy and I want us to be able to spend more time together. I also want to adapt some of her attitudes that have made her successful; I think we have complimentary traits. I do really want her approval and seek validation but I have been trying my best to just be cool and not come off as needy. Your advice is golden and that's the mindset i'm presenting but its just an illusion if that makes sense. I would typically be able to have that mindset but i'm in too deep here. Had a crush on this particular girl since forever and the planets aligned to give me a chance and I cant help but think about her day and night. I'm doing my best to take the approach you are describing with the intent of telling her my true feelings when the time is right. Not an ideal situation but that's how it is.

19. Isn't that like saying we should commit temporary suicide?

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. First of all, congratulations Bro :)
    If you talked two hours straight and was laughing a lot, there's definitely good vibes in the air. Don't worry about the door. She's a big girl. She can open a friggin' door ;)

Just play it cool. I know it's so friggin' hard when your brains are trying to tell you that if you don't act immediately, she'll be gone forever. (Trust me, I'm having this same battle with myself as we speak). But you must control your urge to call/text her and play it cool, because you don't want her see you as needy or insecure. At this point you don't know whats going on in her head, and you can't control it either, so you might just as well wait and see whats going to happen next.

This is a mental state called: Oneitis. (Here's a link to a great Youtube video about Oneitis).
    Oneitis means that you see this one girl only and it gives you this illusion on scarcity. Like there's only one girl in the whole wide world for you, and she's the one, and if you let her go, you'll never gonna find another one and you'll be alone forever.

Trust me, I know how it feels. But it just isn't like that. Not at all. There is no One-Perfect-Girl for you just because no-one is perfect. Everybody has their flaws. There will always be another and even better girl. And look at it this way: You've managed to get this date, so you are brave enough to get lots of another dates, if this relationship falls through.

So be positive and trust yourself. You're The Man. Any girl would be happy to have you :)

-Mike

Mankrik likes this.