1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Journey begins here...

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by z16397mw, May 25, 2018.

1. z16397mw

z16397mw Fapstronaut

Unfortunately, I've been dealing with this addiction for years now. I didn't even realise I was addicted until I tried to quit. I've tried to quit countless times but never succeeded. Today was the final straw and I have decided to make a serious commitment in sorting this out by joining Nofap. I will keep a journal about how I face every day and hopefully make it to 90 days and beyond...

2. Hey man! That's great you've come here! I also tried to quit countless times and it was always SO HARD. But I feel like this time, with starting a journal, posting about my addiction publicly and making an explicit commitment, my body listened to me and it's cooperating! It's nothing like the previous times, when I had to struggle every single minute of a day. It's just... fine. I hope it works for you too! And if you still feel urges - there's a lot of journal here that will help you find the best solutions. Best wishes! I keep my fingers crossed.

3. Helpmeplz157

Helpmeplz157 New Fapstronaut

I too have tried to quit but not succeeded in doing so looking forward for your help

4. Hi. Welcome to forum!

Glad that you have decided to journal. Also try to just generally be active participant in various forum discussions. I recommend this to everybody new here because it's the major thing that helped me when I was first starting. Just lurking on forums, reading and learning is great. But it usually is so much more powerful to engage. It helps to keep us motivated and accountable when we are active part of community. And keeps this in front of our minds so we don't forget about importance of it and slip away in our old habits. Sharing is also therapeutic. This is a major reason why AA meetings work so good. But that was developed before internet era. These days we can get most of the same benefits online through communities like this. So don't underestimate the power of active participation.

I would also like to suggest you to look into mindfulness meditation. It has helped me personally tremendously to learn how to deal with urges. It takes a while to get good at it and notice results, so you need to be consistent with it, but once you do it's very powerful. It has been used by sages for thousands of years to deal with various issues of the mind. And in recent decades the science is also catching up to what ancient sages have know for centuries. Meditation these days are widely used as very effective tool by psychologists for treating addiction and by neurologists for supporting recovery of the brain. It is a great exercise for the brain the same way as jogging is great exercise for the body. Check out this Ted talk, it gives a good idea of what's it about when it comes to philosophy. As far as practical side of it there is this awesome smartphone app called Headspace for guided meditations to get you started.

Wish you lot's of strength and success in your reboot journey!

z16397mw and deepspaceexplorer like this.
  5. z16397mw

z16397mw Fapstronaut

Thanks for all your supportive messages. It feels good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem and that others are going through the same journey. I genuinely believe that this will work, knowing that I have others to talk to and keep me motivated- especially when the going gets tough.
    Day 1: As for today, I didn't struggle at all- felt no urges and had a productive day working on revising for my exams.:)

deepspaceexplorer likes this.
  6. z16397mw

z16397mw Fapstronaut

BTW the serpant of fire that Ted talk video was amazing. A very inspirational and eloquent talk.

7. z16397mw

z16397mw Fapstronaut

Day 2: Despite the stress of exam season intensifying, today was relatively easy as I didn't feel much craving for pmo. Usually I would do it every 2 days or so, so I'm glad it's going easier than expected. Looking forward to tomorrow.

8. That's the strength of a real commitment! Your mind cooperates. Enjoy it, but don't feel scared when it changes. Just remember that your body and mind CAN listen to you, and it's just a bump on your path. Keeping my fingers crossed!

z16397mw likes this.
  9. Protagoras

Protagoras Fapstronaut

Welcome. HERE are some things helping me.

z16397mw likes this.
  10. z16397mw

z16397mw Fapstronaut

Day 3: In all honesty I'm starting to feel the urge now more and more. But I'm finding ways to distract myself and stay focused and avoid procrastinating( which usually leads to pmo). Joining Nofap is undoubtedly helping. Watching videos, reading your comments and other forums is a major encouragement to continue fighting. I intend on quitting on my first attempt and that's what I WILL DO!!

11. z16397mw

z16397mw Fapstronaut

Damn it I f***ed up hard. Gave in to the temptation again. Feeling so disappointed with myself and honestly embarrassed at this point. I hope I'll learn from my mistakes on my second attempt. So here we go againnn…

12. Hi man! I get you, it's a shitty feeling. But now, from a certain perspective, I see how every single fuckup made me ready not to fuck up again. It's a marathon, not a sprint - one slip doesn't change much in a long run. Recently, in a post in another journal, I shared some thoughts on working with one's convictions as a mean to stop struggling. If you find them helpful - let me know, I'm trying to figure out how to best help others. :)

Wish you all the best! You're on the right way, that's for sure. :)