Journal

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Reboot Logs' started by eu7888, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

01 to rank up
    25 until the next milestone[​IMG]
    Semester goal 7/10
    “OPERATION 30 DAYS”

P
    M
    RS
    Ro

Solomon435 likes this.
  2. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

7 [​IMG]
    08 to rank up
    24 until the next milestone[​IMG]
    Semester goal 7/10
    “OPERATION 30 DAYS”

P
    M
    RS
    Ro

Solomon435 likes this.
  3. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

8 [​IMG]
    07 to rank up
    23 until the next milestone[​IMG]
    Semester goal 7/10
    “OPERATION 30 DAYS”

P X
    M
    RS
    Ro

Those days I had a flu, so I had even less time to write here.

Solomon435 likes this.
  4. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

07 to rank up
    30 until the next milestone[​IMG]
    Semester goal 7/10
    “OPERATION 30 DAYS”

P X
    M :emoji_fire:
    RS
    Ro

Relapsed. The problem was an impulse in the middle of the night. I know that the best way to avoid it is by not keeping toilet paper next my bed, but this week I had to keep it, because I was sick.

Solomon435 likes this.
  5. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

06 to rank up
    29 until the next milestone[​IMG]
    Semester goal 7/10
    “OPERATION 30 DAYS”

P
    M X
    RS
    Ro

Solomon435 likes this.
  6. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P
    M
    RS x
    Ro

I wanna try something different. I want to focus on a new technique that uses the idea of using impulse to avoid a relapse. Let me explain the technique.

Think about the timeline of a relapse. I see 3 phases: an urge to relapse appears, than starts the debates phase, when the mind tries to convince you to indulge; when you accept the mind's plea, then starts the preparation phase, when you do acts like getting private, going to the PC, and turning down the P blockers; when everything is ready, then starts the execution phase. So, the procedure that happens during a relapse have 3 phases: debates; preparation; execution.

Urges will appear and debates will happen. I think it's very hard to avoid this, so the focus must be on not accepting the mind's plea, and that's what I've been trying in the system. But now I want to focus on what happens after I accept the mind's plea, the preparation and execution phases. I will call it the vortex, because, once inside, it's hard to pull yourself out.

Let's think about the vortex. The interesting thing about it is that when you are inside it you know that you are doing something wrong and you should stop, but it requires an herculean strength to get out of it.

The solution that I propose is that, instead of trying to develop the strength to get out of the vortex, the focus should be on creating a button that stops the vortex. And I believe it's reasonably easy to implement. Now I have a button on the PC and on the phone that blocks the internet for the next few hours (using the apps: FocusMe on PC; and LockmeOut on Android). Clicking this button instantly makes it impossible for me to have contact with P for the next hours. This solves the problem about P, but not MO. I still did not find something practical to deal with MO, but theoretically there are solutions too: put a camera on every room of your house, then create a button that makes, for the next few hours, the images be sent to someone you trust; I heard that people in NoFap are successfully using chastity belts. Of course it would be ideal to have one easily accessible button that would deal with everything.

So I will suspend the system rules for some time (just keeping a simple rule of no PMO) and study how the relapse procedure works, and how to implement the impulse technique.

Solomon435 likes this.
  7. ReclaimingMyDestiny

ReclaimingMyDestiny Fapstronaut

Hi eu! As I was reading this post I was noticing that while I recognize the debate phase that you describe in my own past experiences, it's not something that's been happening on my current journey. I think that my mind knows any debate is a waste of effort and resources right now, so it won't even try to go there. The goal of my reply here is to try to share that with you in case you feel it can help. If you could eliminate the debate phase all together, would you feel like your chances of success were much better? I admit I'm posting this without reading your whole log so I don't know what your ultimate goal is aside from 30 days no pmo, but my advice to take away the debates is it go all-in. In order to throw yourself in the fight all the way, you have to know exactly why you're going on this journey, what you're giving up and why (what it means to you to succeed) and that "why" has to be so important to you that any little trick your mind could throw at you in that debate phase is automatically moot. You need to see the pitfalls right now and know how to circumvent them. You need to enjoy being in control of your life and your thoughts. Let that joy, that pride of being in control, or of beginning the journey of being in control of yourself be a better high than the pmo ritual. You have the ability to amp that feeling up. Get a real buzz from a whole day of success. As you watch one day turn into three, into seven, and so on, the joy increases. Feel the pride. It’s a real success that you’ve earned. Part of the all-in mentality is living and breathing nofap. What are you doing today? You're not pmoing first and foremost. Any other activity is taking backseat to the primary objective. Here's how the debate phase might look when you're all-in, if it happens at all.

The mind: "whatever bs excuse to fap."

You: "That's all well and good but today's primary objective is to not PMO and this day belongs to me. Nice try."

If you get that down, you're golden. Now here's how it looks when it goes wrong.

The mind: “Whatever bs excuse to fap.”

You:
    “Some logical sounding counter-argument.”

The mind: “Some more logical sounding bs excuses.”

You: “That makes sense, but…”

The minute you offered a counter-argument even from the right perspective, you lost. The only answer is that “today belongs to me and I will not PMO!”

Then take an unreasonable amount of pride and satisfaction in every single day of your no nofap counter. Make it mean something dear to you. Because in my opinion, if this goal doesn't mean enough to you to always win the debate phase, or to even bypass it completely, than you haven't made it important enough. Because the bs excuses are clever and path is difficult and there are way too many pitfalls to navigate it all in a casual manner. We've build up a long time of bad habits and we need to know that that's what we're fighting against. The bad habits have pleasure rewards and once you give in it's even harder to come back. As you've indicated with "Operation 30 Days," this IS war! Your first and strongest defense is knowing exactly why you're doing this and to stay vigilant every day. To make nofap the most important thing to you every day. Do you see the logic of it? You should make this thing so important to you that the mind will quiver with fear when even attempting to throw some bs excuses for debate your way because it KNOWS you mean business. This way you never, ever even enter the preparation phase. If you're in the preparation phase in my opinion you've already lost. This all or nothing mentality isn't too difficult, but you have to be willing to commit to it from the beginning. And you're talking about setting up cameras and all this, so I know it's important to you and I know you're at least considering going all the way. Well, in my opinion, going all the way means committing every minute of today to the goal of nofap, it's the only thing that matters. Other stuff my have to get done today, but it's all secondary to nofap. That way, even at your most vulnerable (for example when you're in bed and you get urges and the Kleenex are right there, etc...) you're not defenseless. You've amped this thing up, how important it is to you, you've made it a really, really big deal. Maybe more than it reasonably warrants (or at least it seems) but it does warrant it. This is about you having control of your own life. From there, you can do anything. What could be more important? Remember, "Today I'm not PMOing. That is my primary objective. Everything else comes second."

8. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS
    Ro

Another way to explain what I will in the next weeks: The problem with the debates phase is that, if you are still with the habit of accepting the mind's plea, then you need to keep your full attention on dismissing the plea, otherwise you will simply accept it on autopilot. After you created the habit of dismissing the plea, than you don't need to keep full attention in order to survive the debates phase, as the autopilot now will be in the direction of dismissing. For me it's very hard to keep all this attention on NoFap, because my daily activities are intellectually absorbing, so I need to create techniques that improve my chances of surviving enough time in order to create this good habit. Based on my previous experiences, I'm working with the hypothesis that, for me, a 30 days streak is enough to create this habit, so I'm trying a mix of things in order to survive those first 30 days. The impulse technique is useful as a last resource to be used after the debate was lost and I entered the vortex.

Solomon435 likes this.
  9. ReclaimingMyDestiny

ReclaimingMyDestiny Fapstronaut

Ah, I understand. Good luck with building the habits you need for success!

10. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS X
    Ro x

There's also something relevant that happens before the debates phase. It's the phase when there's still no urge to relapse, but there are thoughts that are relevant to the creation of that urge. The obvious relevant thoughts on this phase are the sexual ones, but probably there are others that are relevant too, and it's helpful to identify then and understand those relationships.

Solomon435 likes this.
  11. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P
    M
    RS X
    Ro

I will call this phase before the debates the !exposition phase", because it feels like several thoughts are randomly presented to my mind, and some of then catches my attention. It feels like trying to walk in some way where people are trying to show you stuff, call your attention

Solomon435 likes this.
  12. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS
    Ro

There's also something about developing a metacognition about the phases of a relapse. It's been working with the sexual levels.

Solomon435 likes this.
  13. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P
    M
    RS X
    Ro

For the last week I had a problem of compulsive watching videogame videos, which is something that happens to me for some days, about 3 times a semester. I kind of induced it, because it's also a situation where the impulse technique is useful, so I could make some tests. Now I need to learn with that experience.

Solomon435 likes this.
  14. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P x
    M X
    RS X
    Ro

Solomon435 likes this.
  15. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS X
    Ro

I improved the blocks in the direction of centralizing everything in one button. The ideia is to make the act of blocking as easy as possible. One button to rule them all.

Solomon435 likes this.
  16. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P
    M X
    RS X
    Ro

This pause in the system is useful important because I tried several things but couldn't build a long streak again, so I need to setp back, in order to be able to atack the problem in a more creative way. I need to be loose in order to find more creative solutions.

Solomon435 likes this.
  17. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS X
    Ro X

Solomon435 likes this.
  18. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS
    Ro

I'm trying to create an environment where the use of P is difficult. This makes the preparation phase longer, which gives me more chances to use the impulse technique.

Solomon435 likes this.
  19. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P X
    M
    RS X
    Ro

In the las days I've been improving the blocks, and now I'm happy with it. Now I can also block other stuff that I want to get rid of. The only major breach now are the other computers in the house, that I can use when I'm alone.

Solomon435 likes this.
  20. eu7888

eu7888 Fapstronaut

P - 3

P
    M X
    RS X
    Ro

I think I can start a P counter, as my protection agains it is already OK. By the way, I never noticed that it can be useful to have a separate counter for P and MO.

Solomon435 likes this.