1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

It's not about the streak

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Ongoingsupport, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

I've had longer streaks before, but I consider my current one more of a success than the 4-5 months or so that I had before. There are two main differences:

1. Last time with the longer streak it was largely testoserone driven, and at this point I consider all emotionally motivated results shallow compared to the state of mind I have now. I now believe peace trumps all other emotional motivations, and the last 30 days have felt like a breeze.
    2. I stopped social media cold turkey after years of not being able to pull myself away from it for any significant duration of time, starting at the same time as this streak. If you consider Nofap a SM-sub because it is a forum as certain content might be consider P-sub then there's a case to be made for that, but considering I dropped my Friends list I had for years where people knew me, to come back to NF under a new name where nobody knows who I am, I think that's pretty good. Besides, we are actually working on something here - it's not just getting each others attention but there's clearly a down to earth, practical aspect of what we're doing.

I've posted about different things in various threads, whether it's meditation, nutritional supplements or whatever. My main "tip" is consider EVERYTHING. Instead of thinking only about maintaining your streak, think about other things you can do to make the possibility of relapse minimal.

Now with any lifestyle improvement, the advice is typically it needs to be consistent - I think this misses something. It also needs to be appropriately timed. With sleep for example, even if people tell themselves that they are "a night person" our biology does not give a shit about that. We have both a day and night cycle. If you're a shift worker, get a full spectrum lamp - look at the studies that shows increase risk of cancer and such things with people in those occupations. There are things we can do to mitigate it, but you can't half ass it - you need a comprehensive plan.

I don't think I can give the right advice to whoever that happens to be reading this without knowing who they are without it turning into way too long of a post, but I would say if anything plan one day thoroughly, in detail completely, even if it is generically and there will be differences. Take that one day at a time slogan literally instead of just as a comforting pressure relieving thing. It's relatively easy for me since I work a 9-5 schedule so most days are the same, and honestly often I find I go off track when I have time on the weekend. And plan it with our natural cycles in mind, I mentioned sleep but I also time my meals specifically. I would do that with exercise if I can but for me it's basically transporation so it depends on where I need to go.

30 days isn't a lot, I will be interested to see how the meditation and sleep challenges go. It's just the beginning.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Timel

Timel Fapstronaut

It makes complete sense to me. PMO is just another tool to hide from problems but usually there are more we use for the same reason. Keep working, you are doing a great job.

3. TBM

TBM Fapstronaut

thank you for posting this.

Ongoingsupport likes this.
  4. Inactive User

Inactive User Fapstronaut

Dude that is awesome. I totally agree with you about scheduling—time-management is a complete life-saver! Congrats on 30 days!

5. tommilover

tommilover Fapstronaut

6. Gideonite

Gideonite Fapstronaut

Congrats on the 30 days. It's often after those days, the urges become easier to handle. I totally agree with the time management thing. I've had the same experience. The weekend is often much harder because of the free time. It's all about making the hours being spent on productive things and keeping the mind occupied.

Gideonite