1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is King David a Myth?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2017.

1. I've some people say he's like King Arthur - a myth.

What do you think? And what makes you think he actually existed? Or what you makes you think he wasn't a real person?

2. I'm on a fence of this. He might or he might not be real. Personally I couldn't care less about it. If somebody is a believer in Bible he might be an important figure for them. But for me, even if he was real, he's just another of countless men who got lucky to be Kings. Just another "politician" in an endless bunch. Sure he is little bit more famous than most, but being a big celebrity doesn't really have any value to me.

3. Fair enough @Shugi Shugi but if it was proved that David didn't exist Israel who lose their claim to Jerusalem I believe. Then of course the question does the Israeli/Palestinian conflict affect us in anyway.

4. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

The thing is that people try to disproof Tanakh (you can call it Bible, but it's actually Tanakh). But as time goes forward, more and more proof swims up, that everything, that is written in it, is true (for example, have you seen the Egyptian horse wheels in the Red Sea?).

5. ManO'War

ManO'War Fapstronaut

Jewish genealogy is very important to them and accurate. Jesus descended from his line. That's enough for ME.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

Define myth.

In later retellings, I can imagine elaborations on David's life, but I cannot conceive of an Israel without David. He is too fundamental to the existence of a Jewish state around Jerusalem to have never existed.
    If the major history had been written by the Northern Kingdom in Samaria, before its fall, David might have been described differently. There are certainly differences between a close reading of the text and hearing the Sunday School telling of the story. He did have his warts!

7. Nah. King David is part of actual history. When anthropologist excavate sites is the middle east the bible is the first book they consult.

8. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

It would be nice if we had more archaeological evidence for King David.

9. Alpinist

Alpinist Guest

King David plays two roles, in fact all major figures in religious and mythical texts play two roles. They play a physical historical role and they play a metaphysical present tense role that applies to our lives here and now. The physical historical facts which make sense are interwoven with metaphysical present tense lessons which may not make sense to those who only read the stories literally. These texts are not history books, they are texts about your own potential so what really matters is the meanings behind these figures and associated symbols.

So was there a King David - yes, most definitely there was a King David. Did, King David's life unfold exactly as written in ancient religious texts. Absolutely not. Some parts are true and some parts are lessons. King David therefore is a historical man, but he is also an archetype which you can realise within yourself here and now @Surfing Poet . The Metaphysical Bible Dictionary (MBD) is very helpful in understanding these archetypes from the Bible but they exist in all major religions and myths (Egyptian, Greek etc.). For example, excerpts from the MBD tell us that David's archetypal function is:

"David is often referred to as a type of Christ. His life was a forerunner of that of the more perfect man, Jesus Christ, who was of the house of David ... David represents divine love individualized in human consciousness ... When David in his youth and purity daily communed with God, he closely reflected divine love. When he developed his human character, as a king in dominion over men, he manifested the limitations of the human in larger degree ... The rulership is withdrawn from the head, or the will (King Saul), and is gradually transferred to the heart, or love (King David)." (Source)​

This does not only apply to King David, it applies to Moses, Jesus, Krishna and Buddha too. It even applies to the negative figures Medusa, Delilah, King Herod, Hades, Judas etc. The negative figures are aspects of our own being that want to kill the good within.

Check this video out. It shows how ancient Myth and Religions usually speak about one thing. They take the lives of people who existed who manifested that aspect of the teaching and write about them as a means to deliver the message. These figures are usually both literal and archetypal aspects of your own potential:

10. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

There are a few other possible mentions: http://www.thegoodbookblog.com/2017/jun/07/king-david-in-archaeology/, but it would be nice if there were more that were more solid.

11. OzTheBear

OzTheBear Fapstronaut

Muslims believe in Solomon (Muslim pronounce as Suleiman) King David (Daood), Moses (Musa), Jesus (Isa) as well :). We believe they were all prophets.

12. I do believe King David was a real person and recently i found this passage from 2 Samuel 12 very beautiful especially the way he reacted to the death of his first baby with Bathsheba, fruit of the sin of having ordered the murder of Bathsheba's first husband, Uriah, to be able to have her. I found the message of this passage very sweet. the moral is no matter what occurs in this life, we will be with our loved ones again and forever with God :emoji_blush: it moved me :emoji_green_heart:

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’

11 “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’”

13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.”

Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt fora]">[a] the Lord, the son born to you will die.”

15 After Nathan had gone home, the Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackclothb]">[b] on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them.

18 On the seventh day the child died. David’s attendants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they thought, “While the child was still living, he wouldn’t listen to us when we spoke to him. How can we now tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate.”

19 David noticed that his attendants were whispering among themselves, and he realized the child was dead. “Is the child dead?” he asked.

“Yes,” they replied, “he is dead.”

20 Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the Lord and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate.

21 His attendants asked him, “Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!”

22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

24 Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and he went to her and made love to her. She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon. The Lord loved him; 25 and because the Lord loved him, he sent word through Nathan the prophet to name him Jedidiah.c]">[c]

Jewels Fern likes this.
  13. Jewels Fern

Jewels Fern Fapstronaut

Davey Crocket

Baroque likes this.
  14. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

15. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

Yes :D More than 3 years. 166 days without M. The process is going great, but there are still a lot of mental challenges to overcome.

16. Very motivational! Looking forward to getting there too :emoji_grinning: can i ask you how sex is after 3 years without p?

17. theMotivator

theMotivator Fapstronaut

Unfortunately I can't tell you, because I'm 20 and still single :)