1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Deleted Account, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Hey,

To all people who are doing IF. What is your schedule ?
    I'm doing IF because I read all about the benefits and because I want to feel hungry again. I never ever feel hungry when I'm eating 3-6 meals a day.

I'm eating one big meal every 16-24 hours.
    I'm also jogging in the morning (5AM).

Are those two habits compatible ?

BismaBRJ likes this.
  2. iHappy

iHappy Guest

It works for me. I fast for 16 hours a day, it used to be 18 but i can't do it right now because I've lost momentum :)

Experience and see what works for you.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I lost some momentum too. I used to fast for 19 to 20 hours every day. Now It's more like 11 to 16 hours every day. I gotta get back to regular 20 hour fasting schedule. I always used to work out fasted, didn't had any post workout meals for hours afterwards or energy problems. Now since my fasting schedule is messed up I work out in non-fasted state most of the time.

It's sustainable for sure. I did it for like two years. Felt awesome. Did not felt hungry tho. Maybe for first few weeks until my body got used to going long time without food, yes. But then hunger went away. IF actually makes you less hungry in my experience.

4. Used to fast on a 24 hour schedule until early this month, really. Looking to get back on schedule.

5. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I'm doing 18/6 split. The benefits are freaking insane. Especially for me since I had like acne for most of my life and now it's almost gone I feel great. Also I'm at the lowest weight and most muscle I've ever been in my whole life. My old schedule was to like eat whenever I want. I trained from like age 16 to 23 with no results, until I started this program. Now my arms are finally getting full and my belly is going down. I'm getting abs so fucking exciting. I also get less urges and a higher natural libido. Did you know that IF helps with brain rewiring? And the process is even furthered when you work out. Big woop woop there :)

I would also recommend not eating only one meal because you want to broaden out our vitamin and mineral spectrum. I don't think you can get all the vitamins and minerals from one meal. I think that might put you into the starvation stage if you're not careful. Might want to supplement with a multi vitamin? No calories :).

What I would recommend if you want to work out, go buy some coconut oil and maybe some coffee and blend the coconut oil or MCT oil (available at GNC) with the black coffee. Or you can drink the coconut oil. Idk just freaking consume it lol. This will enable your body to go into a fatty acid burning phase instead of a carb burning phase. This will help you body burn fat as its primary fuel source. After a couple weeks of fasting I think it comes naturally either way. I recommend decaf coffee because less caffeine. Caffeine is a natural pesticide. Just a note. I think depending on which form of IF you follow, like the warrior diet, it will tell you to eat around 300 calories in the morning to offset that glycogen withdrawal phase. I think that 300 would best come from the MCT oil.
    A little later I'll post the time line I got from a impact rating 6 peer reviewed article about the benefits don't have too much time right now to go through my notes and all.

Deleted Account and iHappy like this.
  6. iHappy

iHappy Guest

Yes :) getting started and building up momentum is the hardest part. It gets easier over time and it is totally worth doing.

7. TheDancingPotato

TheDancingPotato Fapstronaut

Warrior diet, 20 hours fast and 4 hours eating window and I run at least 2-3 miles(minimum) a day.
    Honestly my body never felt so good before, fasting is purely amazing!
    I don't eat junk food, chocolate or refined sugars or drinks that contain such a thing.
    What I can tell you for us is that you are going to burn fat very fast ( if you are in caloric deficit of course).

BismaBRJ, Ajar and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Thank u so much for this awesome post.

I did not know that it benefits the rewiring process, but now I have even more reasons to keep going with IF.

And with one big meal I meant:
    I ate 1 salad, tortellini with vegan cheese and sauce, mushrooms. Banana, Apple and a green smoothie. I was counting that as a meal. But i felt TOO full after that today. I think I will broaden out my food intake a bit. The 6 hour eating phase seems like a great idea. I'll seevwhat works best for me.

Ajar likes this.
  9. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Heres some notes I've been taking as I work through some peer reviewed articles:
    (The exciting stuff !!! ):
    Within the first 12-24 hours: (So as long as your fasting, lol)..
    Rate of Plasma Glycerol increases, this causes a whole body lipolysis(the lysis or destruction of fat cells).
    If you were to do a 72 hour fast, this time period of 12-24 hours is when 50%-60% of total Plasma Gycerol would be seen to have appeared in the plasma.
    18-24 hours:
    -Body switches from carbs to energy to fat for energy ( Called Ketosis state, body produces Ketones.
    -Whole body lipolysis (50% increase in fat oxidation) phase with a decrease in Blood glucose(50% decrease in Glucose oxidation) - essentially the body is switching from carbs for energy to fatty acids(Ketosis(ideal fasted state).
    - Increase of Lipolysis thought to occur due to reduced plasma insulin concentration, increased sympathetic nervous system activity, and a higher concentration of Hgh(1000-1400%)(Youtube these numbers for Hgh).
    - Within 14 hours of last meal Fatty Acid Concentrations start to rise ( meaning lipolysis occurs).

More of the benefits come from the natural body phases. Caloric restriction can help but the article warns:
    - "Very-low calorie diets do not produce greater long-term weight loss than diets
    with less-severe restriction" - Very low calorie is assuming <800.

- "Very-low calorie diets could potentially lead to suboptimal
    protein intake and subsequent protein deficiency,
    depending on the macronutrient composition of the
    diet. Therefore, it is recommended that individuals implementing
    intermittent fasting utilize appropriate supervision
    and do not employ severe energy restriction each
    day.

- This statement is reinforced in all sense of the word does not produce greater long term effects.

- "There are health risks of diets that restrict energy too severely,
    such as semistarvation and very low-calorie diets.

"Periods of semistarvation can lead to hyperphagic responses
    and increases in fat mass beyond initial
    levels."

**Just a warning for those hitting below >800 calories. I believe this is without working out.

10. iceman40

iceman40 Fapstronaut

are you just running in the morning and for how long are you running? Reason I ask is because I eat four meals a day plus I snack. I do get hungry and that's why I eat or snack. I also work out four times a week in the gym. I don't see how I can eat one time a day when I'm working out and getting hungry. Like today after about an hour of lifting weights I notice my energy level was dropping. I just had a small peanut butter and toast before I hit the gym but I guess that was not enough. Next time I will have a larger sandwich to keep me going for an hour and a half straight.

But if you can do it that's great because you are on a negative calorie in you both so much fat