Instrument Challenge - 30 days

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by leo da king, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:

Do you play an instrument?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. No, but I am going to soon

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Thanks! :)
    Tomorrow will be practicing faster shifts so I can combine the 3 chords and play Free Falling - John Mayer :D

Baldur likes this.
  2. Still practicing Free Falling :) I got okay singing skills but my guitar skills aren't good enough so that I can play fast enough to sing along :p But I'm looking forward to sing and play at the same time :D

Baldur likes this.
  3. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

I practiced for a good hour last night and am feeling very inspired! I am working on learning new chords every time. Old chords are becoming easier and easier to play. I am starting to have some finger memory and don't have to search for certain chords or manipulate my fingers into shapes as much any more. I am using about 3/4 of the neck at this point. Some chords don't make sense yet because I haven't memorized all the notes, but I can get my fingers in place via the tab charts. They are harder to memorize though since I don't have a visual for why the artist chose those chords. Not sure if that makes sense. I am trying some Colin Hay acoustic, slower Robert Plant, Eric Clapton acoustic, John Mayer and James Taylor. I have a couple hundred songs and artist that I play at any given time. My only complaint about my progress is that I have to look at my Ultimate Guitar app to play most of the songs. I haven't memorized them yet. Without the app, I can't play too many songs.

4. A word about your memorizing troubles:
    I'm a complete newb on the guitar, so I understand if my advice are a bit provoking :p
    However what I do, is that I'm watching the chords on the computer and then I move into another room where i have my guitar, sit down a play the chord(s). If I don't remember the chord(s), I return to the computer and watch them again. That way I'm not sitting in front of the computer and watch the chords while I play them, and that makes it easier for my to remember them. I hope that you can use my advice :)

IronDog likes this.
  5. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

No that is great advice! I mean in old school days, people didn't have computers so they memorized things.... can you imagine...haha. I literally just need to take more time to pick A song and work on memorizing it. I have done a couple, but I get bored quickly and want to play 42 songs during my practice.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Currently doing the 1:00-1:30 part seperately today. I'll put them together tomorrow.

7. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Combining both hands today

IronDog likes this.
  8. I'm getting faster at moving my fingers :D

IronDog likes this.
  9. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Well done! :) I read that wrong though.

10. Baldur

Baldur Fapstronaut

Awesome challenge!
    I'm in! Instruments to further improve: Guitar and Voice.

Cheers!
    /Baldur

IronDog likes this.
  11. Baldur

Baldur Fapstronaut

I practiced some guitar and singing today. It was a lot of fun. What a wonderful way to express oneselves emotions.

Cheers!
    /Baldur

IronDog and leo da king like this.
  12. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

I practiced the trill at 0:26 of the turkish March video I posted.

IronDog and Baldur like this.
  13. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

So I think this was day 10! I sat out in the back yard and recorded my guitar playing and a little singing. I feel like I learn a lot when I play it back and listen and watch. It helps me to see where I can improve. Bar chords are so much easier now. Still so many challenges every day. I really make it a point to work on more difficult songs to improve. I am definitely my own worst critique though. I think If I can learn to relax and just enjoy the process a little more, I'll improve exponentially.

Baldur likes this.
  14. I just finished today's practice... or maybe I'll continue later :p I'm practicing without sound today and just moving my fingers to the track. I tried doing it with my own sound on, but i got stressed and it sounded really bad :p

IronDog likes this.
  15. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Did a little practice on everything today. Going to finish combining the fast parts this week.

Baldur likes this.
  16. Baldur

Baldur Fapstronaut

Do you practice part by part and then recombine them, or do you build up the song over time? Like learning the first 10s and then the first 20s , the first 30s and so on?

Cheers!
    I played some of a 12 bar oldschool blues and improvised a text onto it.
    /Baldur

17. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Part by part and then recombine them.

Lord of the Ocean likes this.
  18. Lord of the Ocean

Lord of the Ocean Fapstronaut

But how do we proceed if we have not one? Shall we choose one? A used one?

19. Lord of the Ocean

Lord of the Ocean Fapstronaut