Instrument Challenge - 30 days

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by leo da king, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:

Do you play an instrument?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. No, but I am going to soon

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Still feeling sick so I learn up to 1:15 on the right hand

IronDog likes this.
  2. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

Yesterday was day 3. I was running short on time since I had a lot to do, but I grabbed my guitar anyway. I got a good solid 30-45 practice in and feel good about it. I'm always learning new chords and working on my dexterity. Its fun to see how it all start coming together even when you feel like you aren't getting anywhere.

3. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

Are you also learning to name the individual notes of said chords? Helps a lot to get down some fretboard knowledge and even transpose chords in different positions.

IronDog likes this.
  4. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

I haven't gone that far yet. I'm picking some of that up but theres a learning curve.

5. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Today was theory day for the piano. I Iearnt the landmark system for notes. It's getting easier to read music.

I learnt 'Canon rock' on the electric violin.
    I want to learn it on piano after the turkish march.

IronDog likes this.
  6. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

I didn't think I would have time again, but I did and actually practiced a little longer than expected. I am getting a little better each time, but its not always as good as I'd like.... still so much to learn on my guitar.... and singing is another challenge all together.

7. Day 1
    My new guitar just arrived :D
    The progress today was to get it tuned and practiced the D major chord that I'd already knew but it's a bit hard to play when it's been such a long time since last time :)

leo da king likes this.
  8. Day 2 on guitar.
    I'd already re-learned the A chord today and tried to do G major but that's a tricky one :p
    The rest of today's plan will be to practice switches between D and A :)
    The challenge here in the beginning is to harden the skin on my fingers. The first week I will only be able to practice 5-10 minutes each day I guess.

leo da king likes this.
  9. You are moving very fast :eek:
    Doesn't your fingers hurt? Or are you already used to it? I'm moving very slow in these first days but it has also been 10 years since the last time i played a guitar so my fingers skin hurts a little bit :p

IronDog likes this.
  10. i already know how to play a couple of instruments...
    so to join this challenge would i have to learn a new instrument or regularly play the ones i already know for the next 30 days ?

11. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

You could choose.

12. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

I've been out of here since I've been practicing on the violin but I was revising the piano all these days so I'm back today.

13. G major is not in the key of A major.
    since you are a beginner, i would suggest that you learn the main chords of one key first ( for the key of A major, that would be - A major, F#minor, D major and E major ).
    this way you will be able to play a few songs that you enjoy. which in turn will make your practice alot more enjoyable and you will be able to practice for longer durations.
    good luck !

14. Thanks for the advice :)
    What I do is that I am using a website that is made with the purpose of teaching guitar. It has a whole plan of lessons with lessen 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. It's in Danish, so I don't know how much it makes sense to you, but the videos to every lesson is in english, so feel free to take a look at it and tel me what you think of the plan.
    Some Danish words are pretty much the same as in English, so you should be able to figure the plan out, if I tell you that the word "Lektion" means "Lessen" :p When you click into a lesson, then the video says pretty much the same in English, as the Danish text below, so the videos are all you need :)
    I would be glad if you want to check it out and see if their plan are fucked up or okay :p

Here is the link:
    http://www.laerguitar.dk/lektioner

15. i dont understand danish and my internet connection is too slow for watching videos.
    but here is a tip - if you learn all the chords of a particular major key ( say A major key ), then you can play 90 percent of the popular songs. just make sure the key you choose suits your vocal range.
    you can learn all the other keys at your own leisurely pace because you will need to play in other keys only if you are playing for a person who who cant sing in your preffered key.
    now surely there are songs in which there is a change of key in between. but these songs are not alot and some can also be played without changing the key ( though the key change effect, which sounds very good, would be lacking ).

16. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

Wouldn't it make much more sense starting in the key of C?
    Don't get me wrong, if someone is a beginner both theory wise and technique wise, you would want to basically start in the only major (and relative minor) key that has no sharps and flats and get familiar with 'natural' notes within the key. And from there you would move progressively in the key of G major (the fifth degree of the C major scale) which has only one 'accident' which is F#. And so on.

Might be confusing in the beginning but it's not even too advanced. It just makes more sense and it gets you straight right into the circle of fifths which is so helpful and essential for the modern day musician.

17. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

I've been doing it for a few months already and yes my fingers have hurt for sure. They have a good callus going, but it takes time. I love it so much!

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. Wee i just learned G Major too :D
    So now I can play D, A, G Major :D
    And it's been 24 hours since I started :p

IronDog and leo da king like this.
  19. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Wow you're making fast progress!! :)

20. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

I practiced last night, I think it was day 4 since I signed onto this challenge. I was really tired from no caffeine, alcohol or PM and wanted to get an hour of sleep before my wife came home... but I made myself practice anyway. It was good and worthwhile. I want to update the youtube page I started for it soon.