Instrument Challenge - 30 days

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by leo da king, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:

Do you play an instrument?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. No, but I am going to soon

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

For 30 days, in this challenge you will learn an instrument. This not only is good for your reboot, it will help you enforce other good habits.

All you have to do is report your progress everyday.

Lord of the Ocean, Baldur and IronDog like this.
  2. Gee, now you want me to learn a musical instrument! I keep my hand off my privates, isn't that enough?

Seriously though, I wouldn't even no where to start.

[UPDATE]

Actually, as soon as I posted this, I realised that there is a drum kit in the carport and an electric guitar upstairs. Neither are mine, but neither are being used either.

Hmmm.... /ponders

Baldur and leo da king like this.
  3. unk45d3

unk45d3 Fapstronaut

Of course, this is a worthwhile challenge. And let's not forget we are all born with the most important musical instrument of all: the voice.

It don't matter if you suck, it don't matter if your neighbours complain, music captures our attention and emotions. It motivates us when we're tired and picks us up when we're down.

You'd honestly be surprised at how much a voice can improve with a few YouTube videos and 30 days practice.

Daunting, but it might just be the key (pun intended).

4. Oh, that's a different matter entirely. I have a job where I'll plug my mp3 player in and sing. I wouldn't say if I've gotten better, but I'm probably getting louder.

Baldur and unk45d3 like this.
  5. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Day 0

As of now I am nearly finished learning fur Elise at full speed :

In one day

Baldur likes this.
  6. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Update: Finished learning fur Elise, going to start the turkish March tomorrow

Baldur and Deleted Account like this.
  7. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

8. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

@leo da king are you learning to play through those piano tutorials?

If so, you need to get into some theory and read through sheets to learn song. Far more convenient.

9. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

I'm going to learn the Turkish March tomorrow, I'm just going to keep practicing fur Elise at a faster speed than in the video today.

Baldur likes this.
  10. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

I would do theory, but I'm on a holiday (which is the only time i have a lot of time to actually play piano for more than 1hr)

So what I'm going to do is do 1hr of theory and 4hrs of practical during the holiday and then after that I do 30 mins of each during schooldays.

Baldur likes this.
  11. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Day 2(yesterday)

I perfected fur Elise at a faster speed.

Baldur likes this.
  12. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Day 3

I have learnt up to 0:28 of the Turkish March. Tomorrow it's going to get harder because of the thrills.

Baldur likes this.
  13. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Day 5:
    .I felt bad yesterday so I just did revision of day 3

Today I can play both hands up to 0:45

Right hand 0:59

Left hand gets difficult

Baldur likes this.
  14. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

Ok this is perfect! I'm learning/practicing guitar. So today will be day 1!

15. Like Jungler said, theory and timing are critical to playing piano. People think it's all about hitting the keys, but to a trained ear unless you done lots of practice to play the right timing your fur elise sounds more like someone whistling fur elise. If you're new to piano get some simple lines to play, for absolute beginners, and a metronome and practice the timing with the metronome. VERY important. And sightreading those sheets can be a pain but when you get good at it it will make you feel like a boss ;) When you can play timely and sightread perfectly and play difficult songs with the pedals correctly, the next step is knowing your instrument so well you can simply read a music sheet and know what it will sound like :)

16. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

I can read sheet music well, but the problem for me is which octave do I start playing from.

Also, I have very good musical timing from the violin :)

Baldur and Deleted Account like this.
  17. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

Yesterday was day 1/30 and was very succeful. I am using an app called Ultimate Guitar Tabs/chords and I am currently working on advancing my skills across the fret board of my acoustic guitar using bar chords. For every open chord I learn... C,G, etc... I find a bar chord on the neck that I can play as well.

Baldur likes this.
  18. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

So I assume that you can read notes within the 5 lines of the staff through memory and haven't yet ventured outside of them as far as I can tell. Start by knowing how many C notes there are. I don't know how many keys your piano has so I'm just going to post this to get you the idea:
    • 88-key – Middle C is the fourth C you count.
    • 76-key – Is the third C.
    • 61-key – Is the third C.
    • 49-key – Is the third C.
    That middle C is found in an extra line (or professionally called ledger lines) just below the first bottom line of the staff. And from there, I would insist you should learn the C major scale which doesn't have any accidents and it's relative minor key Am (they both share the same notes).

19. leo da king

leo da king Fapstronaut

Thanks. :)

I already know the c minor key though.

Baldur likes this.
  20. IronDog

IronDog Fapstronaut

Yesterday was day 2 of recording my process with acoustic guitar....success! I am practicing harder chords and focusing on my timing. It is really starting to be rewarding at this point. I'm still not a good singer, I also want to work on that.