1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Inpatient therapy

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by SeekingSolace, May 22, 2017.

1. SeekingSolace

SeekingSolace Fapstronaut

I posted this somewhere else but got no response and am hoping this forum might be a better place for my question. My husband is fully committed to doing whatever it takes to regain some control over his addiction at this point. He is wanting to enter an outpatient treatment facility, but we are both overwhelmed by the task of choosing one. Does anyone have any experience with this that they would be willing to share? We are desperate and would appreciate any help we could get.

2. i_wanna_get_better1

i_wanna_get_better1 Fapstronaut

Are you referring to the process of simply finding a therapist or something bigger like you would find for someone who wants go to through an alcohol or drug detox facility?

I can talk about the process of finding a qualified therapist. All health insurance plans (in America) have mental health benefits. Many times you can go to your health insurance's website to find therapists in your area. However, not all websites list the qualifications of those doctors. The best kinds of doctors are trained in 'sex addiction'... the next best specialty would simply be 'addiction'.

If the information on your health insurance's website is scarce then you can do an online search for 'therapists' in your area. See if any doctor's from the website match the search results. Some therapists deal with sex offenders, some with autism, some with addiction... the specialties can make a HUGE difference. As a last resort psychologytoday.com has a 'Find a Therapist' link at the top of the page. I tried this but got a response several WEEKS later. Not ideal for someone in crisis.

Some therapists are solo and some are part of a practice. Sometimes when you call the number a receptionist will start asking questions to see which one of their therapists fits your needs. If they do not have the specialty you need they often do know someone in the area who can help.

You may be referred to another doctor if medication is going to be prescribed... depends on the degrees your original therapist has. If there is depression, anxiety, or psychosis involved then medication can greatly help in recovery.

Lastly, once you find a therapist you might might like him/her or simply have bad chemistry. Its okay to search for a therapist with whom you might have a better connection. Don't waste your time and money on a therapist that is using outdated methods, minimizes the seriousness of your addiction, doesn't challenge you in a healthy way, or is simply ineffective.

If your husband wanted to start an online program in the meantime he can join NoFap Academy or other online program such as RecoveryNation.com. He can also join this site, start a journal, and perhaps find an Accountability Partner.

3. SeekingSolace

SeekingSolace Fapstronaut

I am asking about an actual inpatient 30-day type of facility. Hubby has a therapist (not one that seems to be a great fit however), goes to meetings and is working on the Recovery Nation exercises. He was doing well and then the addictive thoughts just began to take over again. Unfortunately, he just has a real hard time reaching out such as in forums like this. I keep encouraging him to become more active here cuz I know it has been a Godsend for me. It is just so hard to find the hours in the day do everything that needs to be done to be successful. Thank you so much for your input.