1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Impermanence and the addict identity

A group for Buddhist Fapstronauts to connect.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

The title kind of says it, I mostly wanted to point it out for discussion in this forum in particular. How do we understand and reconcile these two, if we even think of both as true? It's been at least touched on in one thread in one of the main forums but thought it'd be good to have it here.

eoptda and kropo82 like this.
  2. eoptda

eoptda Fapstronaut

how do you understand and reconcile them yourself?

3. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Well rebirth seems to explain it, not in a literal interpretation of reincarnation, but like that famous anecdote about asking a monk what is reborn if Buddhism doesn't have an eternal soul, his response was "I'm sorry to say it's your bad habits."

Even so, there's a moment somewhere between when the habit is dormant and active. I think it depends on what level we're looking at, it is possible for someone to be free on one level but still have some karma of the addiction and rebirth consciousness.

eoptda likes this.
  4. eoptda

eoptda Fapstronaut

i dont know if i got it quite right, but this sounds something very similar to what someone had said that he was told (either from states of deep meditation or just altered state of consciousness, i dont know exactly atm) that (apart from other things as well) that "he has to wait (before he can ascend etc.), because he has too much weight", with weight being both - of physical and mental nature, such as not having your body in a clean-enough state through improper dietary choices or even abuse of certain substances; from the mental perspective itd be presumptions about different things, grudges that one holds against others, not being in control of one's emotions and so on and so forth. and all of this could be basically summed up as ''bad habits''.

and what i can take out of my own experience is that once you start realising the impermanent nature of things (ofc its not the only factor in the whole picture but still an important one nonetheless), the more you start to value life and this experience we're having here as such, mostly because you want to experience it to its fullest (which is the exact opposite of succumbing to the desires for instant gratification and pleasure. it's still been quite hard to steer myself away from that, but after having spent my whole life by constantly indulging into ''bad habits'' of all sorts i didnt expect it to be any other way. luckily a few years ago some things in my life happened, which made me look at things differently, and everything has been going (for most part) uphill since then - have quit bunch of bad habits since then. P/M is the next big thing i have to tackle, but aside from that there's still a lot of work to do. the process of getting better at controlling urges of all sorts and not just the idea but ACTUALLY feeling the gradual improvement in one's well-being (and thus directly improving the quality of life of the people around me or related to me in any way) is what gives at least to my life some sort of a meaning.)

stoneyman22 likes this.
  5. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Actually I was looking at it in even simpler terms, a habit is by nature repetitive so I meant it in a small scale sense, that the behavior itself is "reborn" since it is repeated.

So in so far as it is cyclical I guess the closest idea to weight there is gravity..

stoneyman22 likes this.
  6. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Looking at the 16 aspects of the 4 Noble truths, specifically the 4th of the distorted ways of seeing the 3rd truth I found this:

https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanc...orted-ways-of-embracing-the-four-noble-truths

Naturally, I thought of the idea of "once an addict, always an addict." Looking up the source, feeling it's ironic that Abhisamayalankara is abbreviated as AA...