1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

If you knew you were going to die one year from today, how would you want to be remembered?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 11, 2017.

1. A question I ask myself every time I lose my attitude

Tonytone and Deleted Account like this.
  2. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

I would hate thinking about it. It's just so damn depressing I can't imagine it. I would probably stop going to school and start to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol. I'm afraid I would kill myself before one year.

3. But how would you like to be remembered? In a perfect world?

4. sombrero23

sombrero23 Fapstronaut

I think worrying about how one will be remembered, is one of the worst things to do. In my opinion it is just senseless. You'll be dead anyway, and people who remember you will also die at some point, and their children and so on. Memory of you will be lost at some point. Of course, if you achieve something great, your name will be remembered, but what of that? Think about how many times a day you think for example about Napoleon Bonaparte, like "what he'd do in this situation?" or "what would he feel?".

When I had suicidal thoughts, the worst one was "Who would attend my funeral?" or rather "How many people would appear at my funeral?". It was the most depressing thought, though it had put me away from attempting suicide, because I realized doing this would only cause a lot of pain to my mother and sister, and it wouldn't prove anything to anyone, the world would carry on.

If we're just speaking how I'd like to be remembered I'd say that as a caring and understanding person. But I said before, it doesn't matter. If I had only 1 year of life left, I'd try to do all the things I ever wanted to do, even if some people would despise me after that. At least I hope I would.

5. As a good, caring, real person capable of feeling, loving, and hearing.
    NOT as a selfish person.

I like this --- it is a good perspective-challenger. :)

6. Definitely, challenges you to be honest but in a positive way :)

I just want to be remembered as someone who brings out the best in people, who believes in them even when they don’t believe in themselves and who genuinely had a positive impact on people’s lives, whether big or small.

7. That is awesome ---- and I bet you will do (and are doing) exactly THAT!!! Good luck in your quest :)

8. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

I only care about living my life the right way (in my eyes). I'm not interested in how others will remember me, just that I lived a good life...good in the sense I was a good person. Whether people remember me the right way or not is irrelevant and out of my control really. All that matters is that I enjoy life while it lasts..there is no deep meaning to life..we just happen to be here..once we are gone we are gone and may as well enjoy it whilst it lasts.

9. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

I've faced this as a real possibility and what I discovered were important to me was the times when I acted out of love towards others, whether friends, family, or strangers. My achievements in life were far, far less meaningful than my positive contributions to the individual lives of others.

Unfortunately, it's really hard to keep sight of this in the midst of the pressures of life. One thing is for sure: there is never an ideal time when everything clears and you get to make hard choices easily. Good choices are almost always tough to make. As a general rule, if you wait until you're less stressed to make them you'll miss your chance, but if you make the right choice, making that choice reduces the stress.

10. I love your perspective!!!
    If we had a world where people did this out of habit, it would be a truly wonderful world. :)

11. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

This is a question I avoid answering. People will remember me how they remember me, not something I have any real degree over. On the flip side, I remember people how I remember them, likely not the way they'd like me to remember them. It feels like a question that gets in the way of living life.