1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

If you are an atheist

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Didn't mean to imply that, more like, the questions aren't about the existence of god, but about his being. As I don't really consider myself a Christian, I haven't read much theological literature so far, only few articles actually (plus one book by a layman, Paul's biography and the whole of the bible plus Apocrypha). One stated that the difference between philosophy and theology is that, while philosophy starts with man, theology starts with god. But may be that was one opinion among many. I'm not aiming to define theology, either. Just trying to make clear what you have to watch out for! :)

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  2. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I see I see. Well what are your own belief's about God? not many people read the bible or even know what an Apocrypha is who aren't Christians. Heck even many Christians don't know what an Apocrypha is.

Headspace likes this.
  3. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Difficult question...

I really can't say much without feeling dissatisfied about what I say. God clearly has a place in my heart, but a very intimate one, which cannot be subjected to simple explanation.

In general, though, I hold a more philosophical view, but religion is a source of inspiration for me. My family isn't religious by the way, only my great-grandmother was.

I do believe there is a sort of higher, unifying consciousness, and I believe that death is somewhat illusionary, I'm just not sure in what way it is.

(I also see a lot of over-simplifications, infinite regresses, circular reasoning and contradictions in the materialist and especially in the realist worldview, but that isn't what it's about here.)

4. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Very interesting. Well, I wish you all the best on your spiritual journey! Where ever it may lead you I know that you'll seek things with an open heart :)

Headspace likes this.
  5. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Thanks man! :)

6. You might be right there. I've gotta say the Muslim video is better from a technical standpoint and the poem is better as well. It seems to me the Christian video was put together as a response to the Muslim in a hurry. It's clear the Muslim is actually a poet who spends his time practising his craftsince there's many of his videos around YouTube but I wouldn't say the same thing about the Christian.

Having said that the I believe the Muslim video is inspired by this Christian video:

While I think Jefferson Bethke makes some interesting points I do feel like he's trying to make Christianity look all cool. You can't really say Christianity isn't a religion.

7. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

THIS!

It's the reason I avoid talking about religion at all. People should believe what they want to believe and then stop talking about it.

Headspace likes this.
  8. The thing is many religious people think it's their duty to convert you because they think you'll be going to hell if you don't believe.

As I said in another thread I don't believe in hell so I don't care about converting people, but I do like discussing religion with people because I find it interesting.

Moon Shot, Youssif and Headspace like this.
  9. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Ah, I agree. Religion is an interesting subject, and it's all fun and games when people engage in an intellectual discussion, sharing their own interpretations of life and its different aspects. I too enjoy listening to others perspectives and constantly revising my own, not altering, but trying to understand my understanding better, if that makes sense. Once the accusations and allegations roll around, I'm out. Unfortunately, the line between the two extremes is fine...

10. ukbritishbloke

ukbritishbloke Fapstronaut

I was right. You'll believe anything anyone tells you.

11. Well!
    What do you know!
    In the end we all are gonna die and the atoms composing us will return to the ecosystem!
    So this debate of God, No God, Different God etc. is only for wackos wasting their time and the time of other people.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  12. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut