1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I think today's feminism only goes half the way to true equality

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by unexpectedsyzygy, Dec 23, 2018.

1. unexpectedsyzygy

unexpectedsyzygy Fapstronaut

I think today's feminism is insufficient to solve most equality problems, at least without causing the same problems as before along the way. Let me explain: I can not be certain that this is a widespread thing in america, but where I live, it is: men are expected to be powerful.

Today's feminism is based on the assumption that women have been oppressed by society before in order for them not to have power. The approach to fix this is to push women to exert more willpower, to stand up and to seek more powerful positions and jobs they wouldn't normally do, etc.

The problem I perceive is that the movement doesn't go the other way.

I have been raised to never look vulnerable. Being vulnerable is being unmanly. You can't fuck up, you're vulnerable. You can't CRY, you're vulnerable. You can't be sad, you have to be angry or cold. You can't let go of that facade, or you're a crybaby in the eyes of everyone. And you can't cry about that either.

For every woman who is taught that seeking power is also good, few men get taught that being weak is also good.

I find this unjust and think that there is a real need for this. For example, I think many rapes are caused by this. Having sex is the one way to prove that you are a man. If you can't have it, you get pushed to lamentable ends.
    It also drives others to doubt of their worth if they don't act 'masculine' enough.

Adding to this that virulent feminazi discourse, this is seriously demoralizing. We aren't progressing towards any kind of equality. We are just causing jealousy all around. Now is not a good time to be a straight white man. And since inequalities have not been fixed, now is not a good time to be anything else either. Do you see the problem?

I think there should be some kind of movement like feminism, but for men, towards the opposite goal: teaching men that they have the right to be vulnerable.

The goal of the two movements is the same: freeing people from society's outdated expectations. We need that.

That was my rant, thanks for reading.

recon117 and Deleted Account like this.
  2. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

No shit? Feminism is not about equality? Who knew!
    But seriously, your opinion is basically right, but it lacks some nuance. Feminism is egoism and selfishness in disguise, there are no room for equality there, except as a PR move. Expecting men to be "powerful" while having right to be vulnerable and free from society's outdated expectations is tricky. It wont happen tomorrow, on even in our lifetimes, if ever. We will have to make do in the meantime.
    Also, its okay to be sad or vulnerable IF you remain useful to society and women. Thats one of the nuances.
    Its one huge, powerful machine with sharp moving edges through which men have to swim through.

3. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

I think feminism is Satanism. Reversing the intended honourable positions of men and women in society, it's sick !!

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

You'll find a lot of feminists would agree with you, that feminism is the empowerment of women and the deconstruction of the idea that men must be powerful to be men. This is often what you might hear called "toxic masculinity" - the idea that, while much of "masculine" ideals are good, there are some that are extremely negative and detrimental to both men and women. So the movement for which you are looking for is...feminism.

I would encourage you to think about what pictures of feminism you receiving, because though many of the most vocal and extreme views - the "feminazi's" you refer to - are the ones which catch headlines. Headlines designed to be splashy. I used to use that term, and now understand its hurtfulness and oversimplification of the issues. Many of those women have themselves been raped or subject to harassment or systemic injustices because of the way they were born. And yeah - it's not Just. These people are often the outliers or are the ones who are sick of the injustice that never stops, when it is "supposed" to be a fair system. Many, many more are the ones who support women trying new things, working to their full potential, or getting valued for what they are actually worth - and they are worth far more than rubies! And with that - the stand against the "manliness" that puts other people down in order to feel good. A fight against hazing, calling things "gay," punching back, hiding your feelings, and never showing vulnerability. There are many men who are feminists.

You say it's a bad time to be a straight white male. Is it? I have incredible freedoms - people don't catcall me, I don't get leering looks from people, or followed around in my car or followed around in a store. I don't get stopped by the police, airport security, or border security. I don't feel threatened walking around town, or have to consider which bus to take or where I have to park because of people being weird or because of where the streetlights are. I get waved through checkpoints and I am seen as inherently trustworthy when I travel abroad. I feel comfortable asserting myself in meetings or asking for raises because of the work I do. I don't have to speak for all white people or have people explain my words for me on a daily basis. If it is a bad time to be a straight white male, would you change places with a woman? A black man? A gay man? If yes, go talk to them about the stuff they have to put up with on a regular basis. And if you would not trade places with them, why is that?

5. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Some people are more equal than others.

brilliantidiot likes this.