1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I still have insomnia to this day, pls help ;(

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Captain Rex reporting. So, I have made some success stories recently and while that is all true, I still have health issues to this day, with insomnia being my biggest one. It's really killing me lately. I'm getting sleepless nights often now with 3.5 hours being the lowest so far and it sucks. It's wreaking havoc on my health and I've had it forever with no success whatsoever. I really need help.

Yes, I know, it might be because school so damn stressful. I failed a history test and I have until a certain date to retake it. It's already bad enough because my grades are low on that class and I'm afraid of underperforming on the test due to lack of sleep but I've been studying quite a bit anyways, so it might not be that bad.

Anyways, I really hate it. I hate this feeling of tiredness I get during the day. I'm feeling tired of having to take stimulants like coffee during the day. I just want to be bursting with energy throughout the day but no. I'm also tired of having to take pharmaceuticals before bed. I just want to be able to sleep unburdened for once.

I'm just tired of this. It's been what? Like over 14 months? And I still have this godawful disorder?! I'm really feeling hopeless right now. I just don't know what to do at this point. It feels like it's not going away any time soon. I need help...

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I just want to cure this damn thing forever more than I ever want a girlfriend. I really need all the support I can get from this community because seeing a therapist isn't really helping much. I just want as much advice as possible and I don't want the obvious ones like not using technology 1 hour before bed or using the bed only for sleeping or you know, "getting busy" with somebody.

Anyways, I want as much support as possible from this community. I know I've made a ton of posts about this issue but it's true, it's really hampering my success. I'm feeling tired and hopeless right now and if I want to live a healthy lifestyle, I must beat this inner demon once and for all! Captain Rex, out.

2. These threads come up all the time, do a search. I'll post you a link if I remember. On the iPad now.

Personally I'd say you have too much on your mind, to start journaling.

You need a sleep and wake time. Sleep and get up at the same time every day, create a routine.

Reading for 30-60 minutes, even 15 minutes of a physical book or magazine or off the kindle.

Cut out computer screans 2 hrs before bed at least, it has blue light and can keep you up.

Then meditate for 10-30 minutes, say 20 minutes.

Get a white noise machine set to white noise.

Take some magnesium

Other supplements are valerian, melatonin, 5-htp and l-theanine

Exercise during the day but not 2 hrs befor bed. You need to tire yourself.

If you have the same thing on your mind for a long time see a psychologist.

And cut out caffeine after 2pm or drink decafe.

Alternatively you can look into an earth pulse but they're dam expensive.

Edit: I just scanned through your post. With the psychologist, if he or she is not helping much, see someone else. I seen one for years then changed and got more out of one session with the new one than years with the o,d one, although I had grown. I think your sleep-wake cycle is messed up and coffee is causing you to crash. What works for me is getting up earlier which means I sleep earlier. Right now it's 9:40 and I really need to go to bed. I've managed to create a routine. So maybe try getting up an hour earlier, do some exercise and go to bed earlier. As for the low grades, the only control you have is to study and whatever happens happens. Fuck the parents.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

Some things which may be helpful:
    - do physical exercise during the day (try at least 30 minutes preferably 60, it can be a brisk walking or running, or your favorite sports)
    - learn to meditate, this way, even if you can't sleep during the night, you will feel more rested if you meditate (advanced meditators can go long time without sleep, of course, that is not something you really need - just saying this for your information)
    - learn to relax, your body, your mind, that should help you find better sleep
    - google Sleep Hygiene and "cognitive", you'll find lots of tips. I had a good pdf once, but lost it
    http://www.sleepeducation.org/treatment-therapy/cognitive-behavioral-therapy

4. Ok so yes, I do actually have very good sleeping habits. I do a majority of the things that you listed such as meditation (I shoot for about 20 minutes a day, more if I have time), exercise (whether it's riding a bike or weightlifting) and of course, reading.

Oh and yes, I do follow a religious routine every night (occasionally I stay up late during weekends) and I have night mode on all of my devices so yes, I actually do know how to sleep properly.

So, the entire time, I LET my sleep anxiety persist. I was feeding it by being anxious about not getting enough sleep and feeling bad in the morning which only fuels it, putting me in a loophole, a neverending cycle of pain and suffering.

So basically, I realized that the only real way to heal is not by meds or any of that bullshit, but by simply not giving a shit at all. That was how I overcame the flatline which for this, it shouldn't be that different.

So, overall, what I realized was that I was just being female genitalia when I wrote this post. I was simply being a sore victim. I didn't have to suffer, that's only optional. Pain is unavoidable but suffering is not. All I had to do was change my mindset, 'nuff said.

-Captain Rex

5. Its about reading something non school related before bed and then meditating (before bed). Staying up on the weekends isn't good either, I do it myself and it messes things up.

6. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

Some suggestions I read about a long time ago: if you wake up or can't sleep during the night, don't stay in bed, but instead engage in an activity that is not very challenging or interesting, maybe even boring, such as dish washing or brooming or potato peeling. If you get sleepy, go back to bed, otherwise continue your activity.