1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I just found out

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Nov 14, 2018.

1. That coriander is cilantro and courgette is zuchinni. :emoji_smirk::emoji_flag_us:

2. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

Aubergine is eggplant

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Another thing I recently discovered is that Nokia is pronounced by Americans as Nokea.

4. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

That's not how you pronounce it? *Gasp* :)
    That's how it's pronounced in Israel too.

5. Lifestory

Lifestory New Fapstronaut

I found out before 5 months ago.
    Now my friend for 5 years. We have a kid..

6. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

Three car ones
    1. Boot is trunk
    2. Bonnet is hood
    3. Petrol is gas
    We probably shouldn't mention fanny, suffice to say that when Americans say the word they mean buttocks.

7. Not sure what you're saying here. I was talking about the zucchini, the coriander, and the eggplant.

8. How do you pronounce it? We pronounce it NO-kee-uh

9. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

Your capital O we pronounce like the o at the start of octopus. Sorry, I'm naff at describing how words sound!

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. That's what I meant. Wasn't sure how to write it. It was funny I was listening to a Wall Street Journal podcast and they were talking about Nokia and the host of the podcast pronounced it the American way but the journalist she was talking who it the British way...

11. What? Really?

That reminds me fags are cigarettes, faggots are meatballs in gravy and rubber is an eraser.

I heard this story of a British guy who went to the US and asked the receptionist if he was allowed to smoke fags in the hotel. :emoji_grimacing::emoji_joy:

12. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

Muffins are (wait for it ...) English Muffins

(Even worse is the slang "bum" to mean "cadge". It would have been perfectly reasonable when I was a young smoker to ask a friend if I could bum a fag. Luckily I did not know any Americans back then. When we lived in America our sweet neighbour came round when we moved in to warn us about deer eating the flowers. He said he'd had a deer eating his roses and so had got his BB gun and shot it in the fanny. My wife and I were utterly horrified until we worked out what he meant! My other bad moment was in a meeting at work sat next to the woman who later became my boss. The presentation we were listening to was awful so I whispered "This is bollocks" to her. She replied "What's a bollock?")

The one that is utterly impossible to explain to mericans is our word "pudding" but I think that's because it means more different things than a word ought to in a sensible language!

Deleted Account and Kenzi like this.
  13. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Lmao!!

14. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I just learned ziff is Australian slang for beard.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. Oh... We put them in the fridge. If you don't mind saying what country did you use to live in?