1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I derealize at times.

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, May 13, 2019.

1. I tried posting this on Reddit, but each sub does things somewhat confusingly and it got deleted. I am looking for discussion, that's all. If anyone else relates to this, I would also like to know that.

I'll try to keep this short, but it is pretty obscure, I believe. At least, it is to me.

When I am in a certain mood, the seconds start to feel longer, the world begins to look smaller, and my mind wanders in less perceptual ways. I mean I start to get ideas about the world, specifically, I am the only one alive. Now, I have never used this to justify committing any crimes, unless you count self harm involving others a crime. No, in fact I have said or thought things that were upsetting to myself and others because of this wandering belief. It comes and goes depending on how I feel, but especially when I ponder my existence while i feel scared, sad, etc. Sometimes it sobers me up out of a happy mood, and that generates fear.

How can I describe it? Imagine one day you find out you are in the matrix. Now, if that wasn't alarming enough, you realize there's no way for you to prove that anyone else in the matrix is conscious and alive. They could just be freeforms (as you are, but we'll get to that later) and not necessarily be alive the same way as you. You know that you are alive and conscious, that is almost certain (perhaps seeing myself as unconscious would help?). The only difference between my situation and this one is I can't say for sure that I am in the matrix, only that this reality seems so distant at times, giving me reason to wonder if there are realities besides this one.

If I were to think of some form of theory name I might call it the Augmented Observer Paradox, where one can observe and even affect a world, but cannot prove that what they see is causality. I guess my best bet is to just ignore it, but that doesn't make it go away. Therapists and such have given me grounding techniques that do work for a short time. I dread VR and such things because I feel that would be like pretending on two levels. I am not a sociopath, I process negative emotions well enough. But I feel I have to make an effort to be a part of this world, on the whole / (slash) as a whole. I generally feel unmotivated and I have been through several dramatic life experiences (like in the movies) to find the strength to continue in this world despite feeling aloof in disparate ways.

These feelings have affected my relationships. I spend more time thinking about my needs than I do others, though they do matter to me. I also feel as though my needs are not important, since generally I find life boring in the first place, so, hey, take whatever you want. I feel suicidal on account of my confusion: I just don't know what to do with this feeling. Other ways it has affected me emotionally have resulted in a diagnosis of bipolar, anxiety, and autism spectrum disorder, the latter two being informal. Autism spectrum disorder I identify with the most, and I can see the other two being macroscopic misinterpretations of that. Not trying to get too far into that, but generally I do consider people to be playing with each other when they interact, like they are making a lot of unnecessary moves because they too feel what I feel, and feel bad about it, but can only express it and acknowledge it in their behavior, never in fully formed thoughts or words.

Back to my relationships, I have learned many hard lessons about boundaries and treating people right, all of which I remember starting from the age of three. I take to these lessons very much, but my problem comes in when I "forget" what I had learned for whatever reason, and thus make a bad decision out of fear. It's strange, though, these things seem like they would be a part of my character by now. Could my memory have an impact on my personality? I definitely remember feelings better than I do any memory type. Indeed, I reconstruct most memories based on how I felt, which I am sure is how everyone does it, but I feel this entire sentence demonstrates my self-insight/introspection, which I think may have something to do with things.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but these feelings have weighed heavily on me since I was very young, and I would like to function as a person better, even if I feel like "everything is fake." Just another fucking movie title, amiright?

Edit: Freeforms. Perhaps I only ended up believing I was "alone", and the belief has no bearing on my existence.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
    Starboii likes this.
  2. selfimprovement8008

selfimprovement8008 Fapstronaut

My friend meditating and mindfullnes techniques are the key solution to this. I myself have experienced and continue to experience these irrational thoughts I am religious so meditation through prayer and reading religious text is essential for me. the next asset to my recovery is my job, cold showers, and gym(although triggers affect me in there) because school is just too stressful for me sometimes. Its gonna be a mindset change and then adaption to the new mindset really built on building the new one and in the process and by default overcoming the severe portion of the past.

Motivation is essentially the force to accept that living the life as the new self( happy, free of constant tension, success, passion) overpowers the old PMO self and that force is a weapon to use against all obstacles that may some our way.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I would like to stress that my situation is not urgent. I have found what you are talking about to be helpful. I meditate by reminding myself to be "in the moment", but I call it "loving everything" or similar. I guess I'll never really have the answer to what I'm wondering, and that's why I'm okay with it. I really just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on it. It seems they did, and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for, so thank you.

4. selfimprovement8008

No problem my friend you can also use " I choose not to focus on these thoughts "

5. That one involves scatting. Lol. It's a good way. But I am also naturally curious as to why I fall so hard when I derealize. That baffles me right now. What is it about my existence that makes it so easy to doubt?
    I believe when I am at my lowest I believe my existence is flawed... which is bound to upset me. Any thoughts?

selfimprovement8008 likes this.
  6. selfimprovement8008

Another cliche that I myself have trouble implementing but may be useful is when you are at your lowest, or even in the process of being in youre lowest the only place you can rise is up, build yourself and be hungry for redemption. The best way to get fuel is by these thoughts ( hard to do so I know ) so if you feel flawed simply use that as your weapon so that you can discover a part of you that isnt flawed. Another thingh is its best to remember the past seal it at that, live and take good actions in the present to a better lifestyle set goal or vision and then prepare to accomplish that goal in the future (near future or further away if so )