1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypnosis?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Okay, this is lead-on from another of my posts in this forum, but I'll see what I get.

I have always been sceptical of hypnosis. Not of the fact that it happens, or that it works - there is just too much evidence to suggest otherwise. In fact, we have many members here who have painful pasts involving hypnosis, and if this is too much for them, I ask them to click away now. My incredulity is based on the fact that it won't affect me. I've never been to a magic show, so I could never say it is used, and the mental health professionals I've dealt with have never tried to use it, or if they did, it didn't stick. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm neuro-atypical, stubbornly against whatever grain is running, or just not worth targeting, but I just doubt it working personally.

Recently however, I was watching a video of someone's NoFap journey, and he mentioned having an issue with hypno. He then cut to a brief clip of a woman starting a hypnosis process. My mind was having all manner of alarm bells going off, telling me that whatever state she was trying to put me in, I wanted no part of it. I don't know what was supposed to happen, but it wasn't for me. I'm uncertain if this was my rational self being cautious, my subconscious arcing up at someone else trying to get a hold of it, or some layer of paranoia doing whatever it does inside of me.

I have serious self-confidence issues, which I won't go into here, and, as raised elsewhere, I'm wondering whether hypnosis might be the way to go. I know there is a lot of things to be wary of, but I'm wondering what the possibility is of undergoing something so as to build a base that isn't easily diminished and washed away by my first setback. What is the likelihood of a legitimate process working, should I consider it, or should I just plow on through whatever I'm building here now.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses.