1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stick to a schedule while having a new girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by ZenAF, Feb 28, 2018.

1. ZenAF

ZenAF Fapstronaut

Hi
    This question is for the more productive types of you out there. Those of you who are using a schedule to get as much done as possible. (Not saying not using a schedule makes for an unfruitful life, but once you want to get really productive, it's pretty much required to have one)

I've been scheduling my days consistently for only a couple month now, so I'm a beginner but the benefits are already great: No guilt or boredom when I go to bed at night, every day yields progress, large goals are achieved much quicker.

However I have a hard time organizing my schedule when I have a new girlfriend, I just throw it out of the window entirely. She becomes most important in terms of carving out time in my week, because I wanna fuck and enjoy my time with her. But not only that, the first month is crucial in establishing a bond so I stay flexible to make that happen.
    During that time my productivity takes a proper dip tho..

I just don't know how to schedule a day when she might call me in the afternoon asking me to go to the park with her for example. I'm not gonna reschedule her or even worse, stress out while we hang, that's just not what I do. I'll take all the time that's needed for her.
    Sometimes I can schedule the day until early evening for example and leave the rest free. Depending on how organized she is some synchronization is even possible.

But generally the issue stays, once in a relationship trying to have a nicely structured week becomes somewhat of a struggle. And since productivity is part of my self-improvement and dating is part of life, I'd like to be able to deal with that properly. Instead of it being a "special occasion" every time which gives me reason to drop everything around me.

Do you have strategies on how to deal with that?

Thanks

Trappist likes this.
  2. WhoCares101

WhoCares101 Fapstronaut

I dont yet know any strategies for this but i am in a similar situation with a new relationship. I have been working a lot of extra work lately, she goes to school, works and has kids, so we are trying to make a real effort for time together. We like each other a lot so we text all day long and make an effort. Just do your best to make an effort and dont get bummed or needy if somthing falls through on either end. Good luck my friend.

ZenAF likes this.
  3. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

Hi I’m a woman but I know that after being single for awhile it’s hard to adjust to someone in your life, but it’s part of opening yourself up to love and relationships we all have to adjust. Don’t throw your self or your routines out the window but incorporate her into them. But most importantly have fun and try not to overthink things. When you overthink you stress and take the joy out of what should be a really fun time for you.

Trappist, Jennica and ZenAF like this.
  4. Les_Brown

Les_Brown Fapstronaut

Well said, @GG2002. @ZenAF, I think it would be useful here to have more context. Are you currently in a committed relationship or do you seem to date many different women over the span of a year with each relationship only lasting a few dates? What are your intentions when dating ... is it to have sex or develop a serious relationship with a woman whom you may later marry?

I would like to congratulate you for your discipline in scheduling each day over the span of several months; therefore, achieving your goals. However, your post concerns me when you mention:
    I have asked woman out on dates myself and after getting their phone number, I can understand the urge to constantly check your phone in case she texts you. However, based on my experience, most women are attracted to men who are career driven and independent. If you are the type of person who needs to/loves to schedule your days in order to achieve your goals, then communicate this with her at the beginning of the relationship. You may say something like, "I enjoy hanging out with you and want your advice on something. I feel like I am most productive and successful when I schedule my days ... (further explanation). At the same time, spending time with you gives me joy, relaxation, a sense of satisfaction that I simply can't get otherwise ... I would love the opportunity to continue dating you, sharing myself with you, and growing with you, while still maintaining some degree of structure in my daily schedule. Can we help each other make this work somehow?"

You can go on to figure out what days/times she is generally free and you can schedules dates during that time. If you simply tell her, I'm only free 5 pm - 6:30 pm, 7 days a week, she will probably dump you right there :)
    However, I presume she will be impressed to see how disciplined/driven you are with your scheduling, but still have compassion and care about her life/responsibilities. I personally would never date a woman who would completely put a halt to her life/goals/dreams just for me. Balance is difficult my friend, but sometimes you will have to reschedule on her especially if she calls you and spontaneously wants to hang out. If you really will "take all the time that's needed for her", then tell her: "Hey. Are you doing anything this weekend? (and if she's free ...) Awesome. I'm really busy this week, but I'm going to front-load my work and finish everything at the office so we can spend the weekend together and I can be fully present with you."

ZenAF likes this.
  5. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

Reading your response made me think that the reason many people crave a schedule is because it provides them comfort and makes them feel safe. In order to fall in love, and even date, you have to step out of your comfort zone, and in the beginning you are likely to feel very unsafe. I am not saying routines are all bad, but you need to be willing to take risks to fall in love.

6. ZenAF

ZenAF Fapstronaut

Thanks for this elaborate response, I appreciate it! I had my doubts about opening this thread in the first place, because what you wrote should be common knowledge to me. But I did it anyway because I have my difficulties and maybe hoped for some "magic trick". I come to realize it may be that I simply like living a more sluggish rhythm, because that's what I did for the first twenty years of my life. And having a girl gives me a good excuse to return to that. Turns out introducing a habit like scheduling is almost as hard as getting rid of bad habits. I'll keep practicing. :)

I see your logic here, but it's not the case for me. The schedule is really there to fight sluggishness. To eliminate these dozens of little buffertimes 10minutes here, 20minutes there, checking YT, checking FB, dreaming around, during the day.