1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to meditate for mindblowing state

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by jakeclawson, Jan 3, 2015.

1. jakeclawson

jakeclawson Fapstronaut

Everyone benefits by meditation but especially Fapstronauts. It's the perfect way to channelize all our built up energy and motivation. I've read countless of books on meditation and tried almost every technique there is. I've even traveled to Tibet just to learn more about it. The technique i'm gonna share today is, in all it's simplicity, the best i've come by so far. Combine this with NoFap the effects will blow your mind.

Sit down, comfortably but not in a way that makes you tired. Do nothing but breathe and watch your thoughts. Do this for one hour, everyday, without missing a day.

So how does it work?

Your mind will be racing at first but will eventually quiet down. The time this takes will be different for everyone (40 minutes for me in the beginning) but will shorten over time. Once your mind has quited down, you will go inte a calm and highly focused and perceptive state where you will be naturally mindful of your breathe, your surroundings and your thoughts. Mindfulness is good because it anchors you in the now - a place free from anxiety (the past) and stress (the future).

The earlier process in which the mind races is equally important. While doing this, the mind will throw up all the things it's currently concerned about - painful memories, misstakes, problems et cetera. In your perceptive, meditative state, you will look at these thoughts in a way that makes you disidentify with them (kinda like you would look at a car passing by), thus disarming them which means they won't come back to bother you.

In this state, your mind will solve problems efficiently and you will also learn important and useful life-lesson (for instance how blessed your are to be one of the people in the world that lives in a first world country).

By sitting quitly one hour every day, your mind automatically performs therapy on itself, before anchoring itself in the present. The list of benefits of this is endless - happiness, inspiration, calm, clarity, creativity, better relationships, better focus, a feeling that everything is like it should be et cetera. All factors working together, creating synergy, making your life fall into place.

I've been doing this everyday, combining it with NoFap, for the past five months and have been falling asleep with a feeling of bliss every night. Try it out.

Keep on living.

2. silverlukas

silverlukas Fapstronaut

How do you feel about guided meditations? Any of those worthwhile?

Ὀρφεύς likes this.
  3. jakeclawson

jakeclawson Fapstronaut

Yes, it's great as practice in the beginning. I recommend the app Headspace.
    Although, always strive to be able to meditate on your own. By being proficient by yourself, meditation comes more naturally in your everyday life and you might also develop the ability to do automatic passive meditation (standing in a queue, sitting on a bus) consistently throughout the day which will increase the benefits.

4. Rising_up

Rising_up Fapstronaut

It's good to know that you are interested in meditation.
    There are many meditation techniques tought around the world..
    I would like to share what works for me
    It's vipassana meditation..

Vipassana meditation
    A tedx talk about it -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixu4Kd5R1DI

Introduction to vipassana by teacher Mr. Goyanka
    www.dhamma.org/video/intro/vintro.htm

There are so many videos on YouTube on people talking about their experience in it's 10 day program which is conducted all around the world which is solely run on donations which people willingly make in order to help change someone's life..

The first step in vipassana meditation is what you all guys can do at home RIGHT NOW
    That is Anapana

Watch this video as the teacher Mr. Goyanka explains the process
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5CJLKTn47k

This Anapana is what you can try
    it's good for improving concentration, let go of thoughts, calm down mind and more you can watch the video

This technique vipassana is more popular in india in people those who have attended the 10 day program.
    And it is very pure.
    I have attended 10 day program thrice, I do meditate for an hour everyday.
    Well I am not some enlightened person..
    I am a guy in the process.. And every day I spend in this meditation I feel better and I am growing.
    I am being better every dingle day.
    Feel free to ask me more about this.
    Good luck...You can do this!!

5. welmwerth

welmwerth Fapstronaut

I've been trying out the simplest approach to meditation (based on Vispassan) - practising my breathing and focusing on it.

The problem I find is that when I'm doing that, I become sleepy and want to go to bed. Heh.
    How do you guys work around that issue?

Thanks for the links.

6. silverlukas

silverlukas Fapstronaut

Hi Welmerth. That is the reason you should sit upright on a (mostly) hard surface, like a stiff chair or on the floor. The goal is to be as relaxed as possible and as focussed as possible, at the same time!

CoolBuddy7 and Trevor Phillips like this.
  7. Rising_up

Rising_up Fapstronaut

Yeah welmwerth that is possible and natural.
    Since you focus on breathing and let go of thoughts, slowly you become relaxed and feel sleepy.
    For this as Silverluks said
    Hard surfaces work like putting a cushion/mat on ground..
    Take sukhasana posture (google it you'll find a picture)

When I was doing the vipassana course the organisers didn't let us allow to sit on a chair (unless you have a problem with folding your legs) as you become too much relaxed and probably fall asleep.
    But if you still fall asleep then escalate from sukhasana to half Lotus then maybe full lotus
    But sukhasana works for almost all the guys..
    Hope this helps
    Good luck

8. jakeclawson

jakeclawson Fapstronaut

Try a lamp, or some other light like the sun, against your closed eyes.

9. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing, jakeclawson when u meditate do u use music or ever tried binaural beats?

10. TERRATrain

TERRATrain Fapstronaut

Thank you for sharing this!

11. Penag

Penag Guest

Thank you for sharing.

I practised meditation 4 years ago when I was in asia. I took several classes and we learned different way of meditating (breathing, mindfulness, visualisation, dancing,...). I really liked it as a way to relax and escape thoughts.
    Since I'm on this journey on nofap I start again to meditate by focusing on my breathing.

I would like to know if meditating a long time is necessary ? If I meditate 10m in the morning and evening is it okay or is it better to have one, but a longer session each day

I would like also to ask if meditation helps in self confidence and judgement ? I come from a country where we are often judging others on their actions/behaviours/life. As I mentioned in my journal, it impacts me a lot as I often think "what do people will think of me?". It is one of the triggers which will induce me stress and go on P. When I do find myself having this kind of thoughts I try to breath and think to something else. I also do when I find myself judging others. Do you think regular meditation can help on long term, and how ?

Thanks

12. jakeclawson

jakeclawson Fapstronaut

Music, absolutely not. That's only a disturbance. Binaural beats, have tried but didn't think it did much.

13. Thanks for the post :)
    I have been interested in meditation for a long time but this post has inspired me to get back into it and give it my full attention.
    Keep strong all :)

CoolBuddy7 likes this.
  14. OnTrack

OnTrack Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing this. I'm planning on incorporating meditation into my daily routine as part of my "no-relapse strategy"... but so far I'm having difficulty making the time for it. Would you recommend first thing in the evening or last thing at night?

15. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Fapstronaut

This is a great idea Jake! Thank you! I'll be sure to try it soon.

16. steez

steez Fapstronaut

What kind of meditation would you guys recommend to better ones focus and become more present? Because i have a tendency to slip away into a dream world, even when doing simple tasks. Im working on it and i think it is slowly getting better. I have also included 20 minutes of meditation in my daily routine.
    This is a video which i took tips from:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wirV265ZYSw. However, i wonder if are there are any methods of meditation that are mostly aimed on this aspect of improving yourself?

17. welmwerth

welmwerth Fapstronaut

Thanks silverlukas, Rising_up and jakeclawson.

I've noticed that using something like a ticking clock helps a bit, but it could be distracting as well.

I have used the meditation technique when I'm not able to sleep and my mind is filled with dread and what not. It brings me back to the moment, in my bed and so my mind can calm down. I sometimes say in my mind, "I'm here", which helps anchor me in a way.

18. Whatever

Whatever Fapstronaut

As I understand it, meditation is supposed to help you become less delusional or better said it is a practice through which you develop clarity/awareness which functions as wisdom.

Try Vipassana: http://www.vipassanadhura.com/

19. thegrandmaster

thegrandmaster Fapstronaut

I want to try this one. But I don't have that much time as I have to study all day and classes to attend.
    I tried meditating in the morning by focusing on my breath bu it really gets boring (lol?).
    That is one great problem- I get bored!!!
    Please help me as I really want to start meditation.

20. Whatever

Whatever Fapstronaut

Why do you want to meditate if you don't want to meditate?