1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with procrastination and burnouts?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Datme, May 3, 2018.

1. Datme

Datme Fapstronaut

Hey everyone!

Today I was reading a forum post from yourbrainrebalanced.com about rebooting (I post the link below) and I really resonate with this kind of thinking.

The article is talking about that you need to find a life vision and that you have to pursue it no matter what.

I have a big life vision of going and living in Asia (specifically China and Japan), I also have goals in martial arts and calisthenics / mobility work.

However, in the article they said that we have to make a sudden urge to take action towards this vision.

I really would like to do that however because of college I always find I have not enough energy to do everything I want and even though I have a lot of free time I don't have the energy to move my ass.

It's not that I am a full time procrastinator. I work daily very hard for school, meditate every day, read every day. But when it comes to my hobbies: calisthenics and martial arts it becomes very difficult to do it. I do notice that when I do procrastinate then it's in the later hours of the day. After 18:00. I start watching youtube video's, play video games with my friends, ... .

When I didn't go to school for half year (I quit my college because I didn't like the subject so I had to wait till next semester to enroll in a new class) I was always very active. I could easily do calisthenics almost every single day and I was pretty ripped as well.

Now it feels like I have to sacrifice something in order to do the other. I feel drained as well even though I didn't trained that hard and also school is starting to get too much for me because I am starting to skip classes more frequently. In general I am afraid I will be burned out. The good thing is it's only 3 weeks and then I don't have to go to school anymore and after that I just have to study at home for my tests which I don't find a big problem.

But yes it's frustrating because I can't seem to enjoy my progress in my physical skills anymore and I really would like to go further with this.

http://www.yourbrainrebalanced.com/forum/threads/my-thoughts-on-rebooting-extremely-long-post.15558/

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Deleted Account and j_pwc_bat like this.
  2. j_pwc_bat

j_pwc_bat Fapstronaut

College takes a lot of time and energy.

But here is a trick you can experiment with:

Green Tea

Low cost.... low caffeine .... and health benefits.
    Try a cup 1st thing tomorrow morning. You will enjoy 4-6 hours of energy.
    A cup in the evening too ....... for energy to workout.

Good luck!

Mirach likes this.
  3. Ninja_Man

Ninja_Man Fapstronaut

Thanks for the tip pwc!

Datme I feel you, I find it hard to do the really important things simply because I over think it to the point it gets delayed. Maybe if I don't put too much emotional weight on it, it because easier to climb towards those goals.

4. There is usually something that blocks us from the rest we want to do - and i dont mean inner blockades (which is a different topic) but quite objective stuff: its simply dificult to go to the gym after 9 hours or of work. One should have compassion for oneself too. We aint perfect. I say this because in your title you mention burn-out which is nothing else then a frustration-depression and frustration comes quite often from not seeing ones own goals achieved. So it was at least for me ;-) stay focused. Having two things in your life that are allready amibitous can be quite a lot: why i.e. adding a third one? Our desire knows no end. The principal should be "step by step". I moved abroad and i do martial arts too and i realized i gain more, the less i try to to everything at the same time...

RobbyGo36 likes this.
  5. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Do your calisthenics and martial arts before school in the morning.

Usually when people say "I don't have time or energy for it" it means "it's not a priority for me".

RobbyGo36 likes this.
  6. I battle this problem so often. I write, I try to write everyday so that I can get better and to expand my mind. I try to get good at it but when I write I feel like my brain turns off or something and it takes a lot of energy to focus and write abstractly. It’s not basic writing, I write in metaphors and double meanings, not straight forward read sentences writing, like I am thinking like painting a picture and it holds many meanings to it. But doing this is very difficult, so difficult to the point that when I do it get frustrated and annoyed and my brain and skin just wants to be ripped off. I think it is because my brain wants easy cheap fun, YouTube and binge watch shows.

I am currently taking a break, it’s been 3 weeks. I work full time, 8.5 hours a day, gym every other morning and meditate every morning. Weekends I do a few extra chores and try to read here and there. Do you guys think this is excuse enough to complain about writing or should I do something else? I like writing, just not when I have to :/. It’s fun to let the mind and heart roam but when you have to do it, everyday, when you’re tired and your brain takes twice the energy to think, it’s verh very tiring :/. Please tell me what you guys think and help me!! I need more brain juice and energy!

Ps: I’m also very stressed out from life and work. My waking hours are filled with anxiety and depression and my mind is everywhere and presssure is always on :/ help?

7. The internet is an awful distraction. The other night we had a power outtage, no tv, no computer and I started to read a book instead. When the power came back on, i automatically reached for my phone again.

When I think about it, the only times I'm able to do any sustained reading is when I'm out somewhere like the park. As soon as I find wifi, its all over.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. I think I’m luckier than most in that I never got accustomed to being on the computer so much, but nowadays I think I am starting to, which scares me but it’s good I am aware and not going to let that happen, right now where I’m at is okay I think, only problem is weekends where I just want to relax and watch some shows and chill, but usually weekdays I don’t use computer too much and 2 hours max on the phone