1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with extreme anger and anxiety as an SO?

Discussion in 'Partner Support' started by IamGold, Jun 12, 2018.

1. IamGold

IamGold Fapstronaut

I'm a SO of a PA and our last Dday was a month ago.
    I've reached a point in my grief where I've started to feel really angry and anxious about the situation. The feelings I have are extremely strong and at times I'm having a difficult time dealing with them in a way that actually would help.
    In the past, it has helped me when I've written about my feelings or talked to my husband, but now they are so powerful that I feel like I'm going completely crazy.

I don't think talking with my husband is a great option for now, because he's the one who has caused these feelings and talking with him only escalates my anger to a point where I start throwing things. He has his own things he's dealing with and if I sense even the tiniest bit of defensiveness I fly off the handle in mere seconds.

I don't feel safe talking with my friends about this, because they are part of the problem. My husband has used their social media picks as p-subs.

Writing only helps a little, but I still feel this constant excess adrenaline in my body.

Therapy is not possible at the moment, but in the future will be. That doesn't help me now though.

Physical activity like running or punching a bag helps with the anger but after that, I usually feel lonely and inconsolable with sadness or irrational fear and I just can't get rid of the feeling.
    The obvious answer would of course be to just feel it, but the problem is that the feeling is so powerful it consumes me so I can't get anything done.

I feel completely lost with this and I need some ideas on how to ease the intense feelings even a little.

2. I'm sorry you're struggling with all these emotions. I know they can be very overwhelming at times. Since therapy isn't an option right now, do you have a pastor or family member you could talk to? I understand how difficult it is when you feel you have no one to confide in.

There's a book called Your Sexually Addicted Spouse by Barbara Steffens and Marsha Means. I know it isn't the perfect solution, but reading it helped me so much to understand all the things I was feeling and how to process them. If you could also have your husband read it, it would be helpful for him to understand what you're experiencing as well. Hang in there and stay strong.

Deleted Account and IamGold like this.
  3. breakmylove

breakmylove Fapstronaut

I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. I can definitely relate to the very strong, sudden bursts of anger as well as feeling unable to keep them under control. Writing helps me as well - I strongly recommend reading Facing Heartbreak, it has a lot of great content. There are many activities within each chapter that have made me feel sane even in my most unbearably emotional moments. Take care of yourself, your feelings are completely valid and real.

IamGold likes this.
  4. IamGold

IamGold Fapstronaut

It really is difficult to deal with this when there's no one to talk to. My sister is my only family, and my husband has used her pictures as p-subs aswell. I haven't been active in church since I was young, and I'm not familiar with the congregation in my area, but the idea of talking to a pastor feels somehow very comforting. I haven't thought about it much before, but maybe I could open up to a pastor.
    I'm happy that I was able to find the book you mentioned in my country. It's always so expensive to order something overseas. Thank you:)

Thank you :) I took a look at the book (a little poem there) online and I like that it has those tasks I can go through. I definitely need some structure in dealing with this stuff and I think the tasks would bring it. I can't find the book locally, but I think it will be worth the extra cost of shipping.

5. breakmylove

breakmylove Fapstronaut

I’m so happy to hear! I’m sorry I didn’t even think if the book would be available in other countries. I truly hope it helps you work through your feelings to begin healing as much as it has helped me. If you ever need to talk feel free to message me :)

IamGold likes this.
  6. passionforus

passionforus Fapstronaut

I feel the same way. I just posted today about a fight we got into this morning. Again he was blaming me for his non issues. In denial. And defensive. This happened at noon. It’s not 8:30 pm and I am still down in our basement bedroom in bed. How do you go on doing life with someone that causes so much anger. I removed myself from the upstairs because I didn’t want our kids to witness this outrage. But now life goes on above me and I’m laying here. Alone. And this is my fault? These guys did this! Not us! We chose to love them. Chose to stay. Chose to support. Yet we and punished daily. I am so sorry you are going through this. But selfishly it helps to know I’m not alone. Makes me feel not as crazy.

7. passionforus

passionforus Fapstronaut

@GhostWriter Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. Your words are powerful and a reminder that the emotions and anger I am feeling are very real and normal. I may read this message over and over and over again. I am in the process of starting to journal too. I just can't seem to find the right place on the forum to do so. still looking. I am sure I will reach out soon. For now just trying to keep my job and get my living situation under control.

8. IamGold

IamGold Fapstronaut

Hello friend:)
    So sorry it has taken forever for me to reply to this. I Haven't been active here for a while.
    Your pressure cooker analogy is very good. It really is just like you said. After building up the negative feelings for a couple of days the lid finally blows off.
    Lately, I've tried to release the steam little by little as it builds, but the reception I get from my husband has only built more pressure resulting in an immediate explosion.
    I'd really like that. You are so awesome to offer (and thanks for the clarification. That's funny:D)

9. IamGold

IamGold Fapstronaut

Will do!

10. Have you been able to read any of the book yet? Like you, I haven't ever had anyone to talk to about all this (until nofap), and sometimes the waves of emotions would overwhelm me and make me feel like I was going crazy. Reading the book helped me to better understand it all and realize everything I was feeling is a normal part of betrayal trauma. It doesn't make it hurt less, but there is some solace in the validation of what you're experiencing.