1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you tame the urge to masturbate?

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by thathabitguy, Jun 4, 2018.

1. thathabitguy

thathabitguy New Fapstronaut

i started NoFap only 4 days ago and I haven’t had any major urges yet but I’m wondering, when I do have the urge, what’s the best way to kill it off?

I know cold showers but what else?

Also what are the main reasons that a person relapses?

Johncr likes this.
  2. Bake2345

Bake2345 Fapstronaut

Deep breathing / and mediation have helped me a lot and what a lot of people have said on YouTube thinking of why your doing this what isn’t your goal in times of temptation help a lot too.

I practice daily if a thought comes into my head to not give it any attention I’m only 25 days but this week has been the easiest with the hardest of times week 2 so far for me.

Your second question it’s different for everyone but a lot of people relate to it as being an external regulator , exalting from stress , feeling down , lonely , bird , etc , when you feel triggered pay attention to how you feel and know that 2 second relief your going to feel a lot worse after and have to start again

Johncr likes this.
  3. Ive found it to be true that when you decide to practice retention if you later decide after a period of time to fap off with zero inhibition it doesn't cure that tension and anxiety that you discovered during your period of retention... You get a major high for a moment and then you go back to being anxious the second your body starts to crave that next hit. After I did this I've found that I will regularly fap to maintain my anxiety from peaking again. Which hasn't worked yet... I'm almost 100 percent certain that if I go through my flatline and face it like a man then at the end of it I'll have more control over my stress/anxiety/emotional states than ever before in my life.

In order to get over it you might just need to look at why you're doing it... At the end of the day masturbation is a choice and quitting is a harder choice.

I'll add this... One reason I've found that I'll relapse is because I have so much time and I get complacent with an active recovery process. Then in a single moment of down time that PMO thought gets intrusive. And it can get so fucking intrusive it's literally like a disease. You get all fucked up about it. But theirs no where to run, it's in your hand, you got the day off, nothing to do, already showered, already worked out... Next thing you know you start convincing your own self to go back on your original decision. And later you're like "Why did I make me do that... I could have done ABC, xyz, etc, etc, etc"... it sucks when you truly cant blame anyone but your damn self. Don't blame those hot models on instagram.... Just erase that shit, dog xD

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
  4. Johncr

Johncr New Fapstronaut

i try do the way says Cmv120 and Bake2345; but thanks to god i left behind 3 years ago, and i solved. Hope dont go downfall again. Keep on the objetive.

5. It may sound crazy but this is one way of many ways of dealing when I feel there is an urge, I try to imagine that I am in some kind of a battlefield. I pretend to be the general and at the same time his soldiers. I would say as a soldier, "General, enemy has been spotted sir! What is your order sir?" ( in other words, I feel an URGE coming )
    and I would say as a general "Soldier, be prepared for our defense we would not give in." ( in other words, I tell my self to be ready.)
    "But, sir they have more ammunition and better artillery, cannons, tanks than us", (in other words I feel that the URGE is very strong)
    " Be not afraid soldier! They maybe strong but we are STRONGER" (advising my self to relax and motivating to fight the URGE)

"General, they are firing the cannons at us!" ( In other words, Inappropriate thoughts are starting to come to my brain)

"Brace yourself men! Never surrender!!" (I am relaxing and not moving)

"Sir, our allies are coming and look our enemy is retreating" (in other words the URGE is getting weak)

and the urge is reduced to nothing.

and We won the battle!

and That is my way of doing the right thing

6. I find that mindfulness meditation is by far the best way how to deal with urges

Also daily mindfulness practice to supplement meditation

Meditation strengthens parts of the frontal lobe which are responsible for emotion control and discipline. Exercising brain through meditation actually makes some parts of the brain become thicker and grow bigger physically, kinda the same way as exercising muscles with weight lifting makes them grow and become stronger. It increases size of hippocampus and posterior cingulate cortex, which are responsible for emotions. Some other parts of the brain actually shrink in size, such as amygdala, which is responsible for anger, fear and stress. Some pretty fascinating stuff.

7. Lol very funny and creative!