1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you handle ghosting?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by THEdally_llama, Jun 10, 2018.

1. THEdally_llama

THEdally_llama Fapstronaut

Hey all,

Recently I had been talking to this girl who was a med student, and we hit off pretty well. Things were going good when we last hung out and we did get somewhat physical without having sex. We had some awkward moments when she interrupted us making out to ask what I was looking for. For the most part I responded with some stuff like "I'm open to exploring opportunities" and "I'm not opposed to a relationship if it comes to that." However, I abruptly stopped hearing from her within 2 days after that (and it felt like was out of nowhere). I had somewhat high expectations for this to work out because I liked the person, but it seems it took a turn in the opposite direction.

Lots of girls tend to experience this problem with guys, but lately I've been experiencing it more from them. I've never just cold shouldered anybody out of nowhere, because I think it is cowardly. My question for ya'll is how do you handle this?

Deep down I really still want things to work, but at this point it doesn't seem likely. I know I have two options: 1) Stop talking to her and let it go, or 2) Get the answers I want as to why this happened.

What do you all think? Are there any other ways you've gone around approaching these types of situations?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. ironblade

ironblade Fapstronaut

You could drop her a text stating how her abandoning you is affecting you. Tell her how you want to share each other's feelings and you just need a closure, if she's ending it.
    Edit: The key here is to be gentle and not scaring her away. You need to assure her that she can have all the space she needs in your discussion.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

If you want to burn the bridge, DO THIS ^^^. It is way too early to be talking like this, you're not even in a relationship.

This is what I do:
    1.) Accept she's probably moved on, found another guy locked down, lost interest, OR she is thinking about hanging out with you again after she's less busy. Either way, I don't mind, she's hasn't won me over yet and I have a ton of other stuff I need to do.
    2.) If I *REALLY* want to see her again, I'll ping her anywhere between a week or three weeks later, just picking up wherever we left off. "Hey XYZ, you been keepin out of trouble?" and if she responds you can text her a few more times before pitching a date.
    3.) If she accepts: Perfect, ghosting handled.
    4.) If she gives me the runaround, or no response, I move on: Perfect, ghosting handled.

Forget about thinking it's "cowardly", women have a lot of BS, from simple drama... to outright physical violence and rape from men they reject. Have some compassion for women that ghost, you don't know what they've experienced.

I recommend having high Standards, not Expectations.

TDBman, Rehab101, Numb and 9 others like this.
  4. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Why don't you just call her? If you want to talk to her now, call her now, you don't need to wait for ages, this is playing games. If she doesn't pick up the phone, try again later, if she doesn't react at all for days, move on. May be you will hear form her at some point, may be you won't.

I am sustainably dating a woman for the first time in a long time at the moment, and I notice again how irritating, strange and exhausting texting often feels. I don't see how anybody would voluntarily choose to text instead of call, other than cowardly shying away from direct confrontation or just doing it because everyone does it or to fix one's constant need for attention. Communication in texting is flat and empty, and you even communicate slower. The shift from calling to texting is more a regress than a progress in communication technology. The only positive aspects are that you are independent of the other person's availability, and you can do it anywhere without disturbing the environment, plus group chats. Just some general remarks on texting.

So, what is more important: Getting the answers or making this work? I suppose it is the latter, as you can still get the answers later? So, why don't you just try to see her again and make sure the two of you have a good time? You don't have to confront her with the situation. I agree with @primaljade that without knowing the reasons, you should not jump to quick conclusions. And again, you can still ask her about it when you are about to start a relationship.

DIYAS1 likes this.
  5. THEdally_llama

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a shot.

I don't exactly know the depth of what this girl has experienced in the past, but I will still stand by my belief that there are better ways to end talking to someone then outright ignoring them. It's psychologically cruel and a lot of people deserve to be given at least somewhat of an answer. Our evolution and survival as human beings has been partially dependent on social feedback. When we take that away, it can break some people. I'm not saying it's happening to me, but I know plenty of men and women who are psychologically scarred because of past relationships not involving any closure, and it affects their relationships the next time someone comes into their life.

I tend to be more open to accepting peoples flaws and trying to work with them, but sometimes that compromises my standards for others.

I actually had been calling her. In fact, the moment I stopped hearing from her was the moment she said she'd call me back.

I got a vibe that she didn't actually feel as comfortable talking over the phone as she did texting. Weird right? And believe me, I know and agree that texting is a regression. I communicated it with her that I'd rather talk on the phone.

6. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

From what I can tell, you've had a bit of correspondence, a make out, and you guys hardly even know each other. We're talking about someone you haven't even had sex with, let alone a relationship. If she's been your gf/wife for a year than yeah, ghosting is a shitty thing to do.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Too much calling, not enough meeting, can scare girls off. No idea how much you were doing.

1.) Texting is way easier for logistics, especially in loud environments. You can do it anywhere, (almost) anytime.
    2.) I'm not gonna chit-chat with some stranger, I'm going to arrange a date.
    3.) A lot of girls let it go to voicemail (since they're afraid of talking to strangers on the phone) then they'll *text* me back. I'll skip the step.
    4.) I can review exactly what I write before I hit send. With voicemail, there's risk of making a stupid vocal mistake that you can't edit/fix.
    5.) Texting is what girls do these days. I make it easier/more comfortable for them to communicate.
    6.) I use it to ensure I correctly, reliably setup all logistics, and minimize mistakes. I don't wonder and think to myself: "Did I say 8 or 8:30?", "it was at this place right?", "did I say one thing but write another?", et cetera.

I reserve phone calls for women that I'm in a relationship with, OR with new girls that I won't be able to see for a week or two. But even in that case, I use Skype, not phones.

THEdally_llama likes this.
  7. THEdally_llama

I’ll admit, I’ve left very frustrated in the past with people who’ve ghosted me. I’m not a perfect human being, and I can show tendencies of getting attached/clingy easily, however I do my best to limit them. The reasons I can get attached easily are clear to me - they’re more psychological. I’m working on resolving that. It’s taking a lot more time then I imagined though. The biggest thing is being comfortable with being alone.

As a competitive person, every girl I couldn’t develop something with makes me feel like a failed opportunity. I find ghosting so annoying because I don’t get an answer about what I did wrong. I want to fix those issues and not repeat the same mistakes when the next opportunity arises with someone else. Without an answer, I always have this feeling like I’m caught in the same damn cycle of repeating mistakes.

Of course, people aren’t a game. It’s not black and white. And it’s hardly predictable. Maybe that’s my problem: I think I can predict where everything will go with the right moves. What do you think?

We hung out twice and talked over the phone about 3-4 times. This is in a span of 4-5 weeks.

8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

If she hasn't texted or called you in 72 hours, she's just not that into you. Don't waste your time with her and move on.

9. MetaGame

MetaGame Fapstronaut

U said its happening more frequently? Tbh often women want one of two answers to that question. Either ur really into em or ur not lookin for anything serious. Stop with that im open to anything bs. It doesnt work. Maybe someone or a movie gave u the idea it makes it sound like ur an easy going guy or the girl can choose but it doesnt work like that. Be decisive. Want good things and dont be afraid to ask for it. Even if u get rejected , u know clearly what was not on the table and why.

In regards to women ghosting. Look up the psychology of ostracizing. When a woman ostracizes you, seemingly for no good reason, most people dont have the necessary mental tools to deal with that. Hence the need to ask online. the answer to that is very little anyone here says will change that much for a while. U have to be secure in yourself (not egotistical just secure and aware) alternatively u can confront the girl and find out if u did something wrong.

Ima be really honest with u. The assumption is that many women aren't thinking dumb, shallow or crazy thoughts. A lot of em are. Women are picky and will make decisions on things that arent in ur control or actually part of reality. Just last week my gf almost broke up with me for non reasons. 2 days later she even apologized and admitted she gave me flaws I did not have. And my gf is relatively sane compared to most women lol. This isnt me bad talking women btw, i mean evolutionary / psychology wise thats how it is.

Women often do this for control. Who knows how u triggered the need for it but all u can do is improve and move on.

Hitto and THEdally_llama like this.
  10. THEdally_llama

Yes, ever since I started stepping my dating game up I’ve usually been on the receiving end of getting ghosted or told that things won’t work out.

Well said otherwise.

I think the hardest part for me is just realizing that sometimes I have no insight into others’ ambiguous decisions.

11. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

This is incredibly common, so don't sweat it. You can always ask for feedback, but don't expect it, and don't necessarily trust it either unless you've known her for a long time.

Feedback from strangers is going to have a lot of noise. Some girls are batshit crazy, some of them are not crazy but still have wierd emotional baggage, some of them are drama queens ready to berate you for this that or the other thing, some of them are normal but don't really know you (and may modify/lie about their feedback accordingly).

Plus, few girls are even able to tell you what you *should* have done in order to get into a relationship with them. For example... If a salesman fails at selling you a car, then he calls you later and asks "how could I have sold you that car at the price I wanted?" then what are you going to say? Well, you don't live in the world where he sold you the car, so you can only guess.

Some women's tastes are so personal (maybe she doesn't like beards, pointy elbows, liberals, chubbiness, skinniness, too many muscles, who knows) that it's silly to try and accomodate to it. You could accommodate, and then have that backfire when the next woman with the opposite taste comes along. None of these things are "wrong", they just "are".

Dating girls is NOT a competition. Sure, it is gratifying to date and have sex, but you haven't *won* anything from it. Well...maybe you can think of it as winning, but you have to be super detailed and comprehensive in what "winning" means, which goes way beyond notchcounts or girlfriends.

From a personality standpoint I recommend working from the inside-side out: Figure out your mission and goals first, and put them as your primary objective. Talk to tons of people to enhance social skills, see a therapist if needed to check behavior and such. And of course: NoFap.

From a physical standpoint I recommend: Finding your sartorial style, getting/staying in decent (not perfect) shape, shower before dates.

From a "gaming" standpoint: Provide very specific scenarios to other seducers, ask them how they would respond (don't tell them how it worked out for you yet) and see what *they* would have done. Then you can say how it worked out, and compare what they would do versus what you did.

12. THEdally_llama

A little update,

After a day or so of feeling butthurt, I got over it. Decided I wasn’t even gonna bother asking for the “whys” because like @primaljade said, she probably wouldn’t even tell me the truth anyway.

I was just really disappointed at the time I created this thread. Regardless, it still poses a good question about how to handle ghosting like this. From my experiences of knowing people who were better at game than I was, they always said they didn’t care if some new girl ghosted them, since they didn’t have a lot of time invested in them anyway. Some girls would even have the nerve to hit them up a couple months later.

13. i am a girl. did she stop texting or replying you?

14. Adrian18

Adrian18 Fapstronaut

Hi,

I lived a similar situation lately, except I was already invested deep with this girl: we met through a student association and spent 2 weeks during the holidays "studying" together in the empty offices of that association. No sex, just cuddle and talk and kissing... it was fine, but I got attached and was wanting more. Then courses started again and she completely ghosted me out of her life. We continued to see each other in the association, but she wasn't speaking to me any more than to the other guys of the team.

So I did the mistake of confronting her on that. I see it was a mistake now, but only because I did it, I learned from it... Needless to say it ended bad.
    First she told me she needed time and space. So I gave that to her, and she took plenty...
    Then she told me that it would not work out, that she liked me but was afraid of getting attached to me... well I already was, so I didn't understand.
    Finally, after my insistence, erratic behaviour, not knowing how to handle this between us, she told me that we had never been "together" and that I had to let it go.

Anyways, all that to say that confronting her on the matter will most likely make you feel like the one that is attached, dependant on her and thus needy... even if it's not the case. My advice would be to move on, let her come back or go away if she wants.

Don't run after her, 'cause that's what she's probably testing unconsciously... maybe she thinks she doesn't like you, but when she sees you're not chasing her, suddenly gets attracted to you again... who knows...

Hope it helped ^^' o/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  15. Well I am not always wanting people to call or text me everyday but If I haven't heard from say a girl I am wanting to know better . I follow a simple plan I wait a few days then I reach out in a phone call if I don't here back in say 3-4 days I might send a text if they don't respond I DELETE THERE NUMBER MOVE ON during those days that I am giving them time to call or text I am out talking to people who my be serious and not into playing childish games.

16. SheMonk

SheMonk Fapstronaut

Ghosting is a clear statement that the person is not interested. I wouldn't waste a single text message on a ghost. I've been on both sides of the coin and it's a rude yet very clear statement, But don't take it personal. Just move on and find someone else.

17. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

“Some girls would even have the nerve to hit them up a couple months later.“

This is a great opportunity to give them another chance, don’t ruin it by burning the bridge or being bitter.

18. ConsciousLife

ConsciousLife Fapstronaut

Great advices! Seems like you have a considerable experience getting ghosted and play by the book. It just happened to me for the first time, although I hear it's an epidemic, and left me a bit disoriented, because it came out of nowhere, when I was under impression this was going to be a long, serious relationship. All your advices are valid, but I made a mistake of not recognizing what's happening soon enough, and reached out with a few texts the following week. Those texts didn't really warrant a response if she didn't want to respond, and weren't overly sentimental. I know that ED/Reboot issues played a huge role in this, so wondering if you think there is any chance of reviving that in any way, or should I just cut my losses? She was obviously a special one since I'm still thinking about her, but I do have a bad aftertaste following this whole experience, so not even sure I want her back now. It was just so abrupt and unexpected...

19. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

I think ED/reboot is a veg minor role. The major role is simply stong desire mixed with over-expectations.

You can wait a few weeks to prove you’re not going to incessantly pester/stalk her, then ping her with something totally unrelated to dating. Preferably something funny that she reminds you of. If she bites, then you can restart. I rarely bother doing this, maybe 2% of the time I’ll give it a shot.

If she texts you within those few weeks, you’re good to go of course.

If nothing, move onward.

ConsciousLife likes this.
  20. Skippy1209

Skippy1209 Fapstronaut

I would listen to:
    This guy, he's talking sense. Advice can only come in generalisations not Universals but generally, going so serious so soon will likely scare her or creep her out. At least it'll put her in a situation where she will see only two options: ignore you or try to let you down gently (which will nonetheless make you feel crappy)
    It's nothing to do with abstinence but don't pin your hopes too much on one person, even if she's great, until you're further in and she's starting to ask you about being exclusive etc.
    Try to adopt a mentality of abundance and remember that you're a great person with a lot to offer and if she ain't the right one to appreciate it, then her going her own way is taking you one step closer to finding the one who does.

Adrian18 and ConsciousLife like this.