How Do I Find a Job That I Will Actually Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DaveyCrockett, Jun 29, 2019.

1. DaveyCrockett

DaveyCrockett Fapstronaut

I am 20 years old. I'm currently working as a waiter, my second time working in the restaurant industry. I haven't enjoyed any of my past jobs at all, with the exception of two window companies that I worked for, who were both managed efficiently and otherwise were good and just to me, the employee.

The problem is, I don't like any of the jobs that I have worked at so far. I think it is very difficult to find a job that I like. I have been getting positive comments from managers who notice my hard work at this restaurant I work at now as a waiter. Yet I do not like being a waiter. I work nights and I always dread going into work because I know that I'm about to have to do work that I have absolutely zero passion for and even more than that, I don't even care if I get fired.

Every night that I work, I have trouble sleeping. Last night, I got home at 11pm and it took me until 3am to fall asleep. My first week on the job, it was not possible for me to sleep for the first two nights, I was awake the entire time I was in the bed. I felt and still feel really worked up about something, still not sure what, but I was angry about where I work and the employees there who I work with, also. I don't like them very much. I was feeling so terrible last night after work that (after tossing and turning for so long) I wrote in my journal at around 2:30am that I didn't even care if I died.

So enough of the drama and feeling sorry for myself, my question is: how do I find a job that I will actually enjoy? I read in Dr. Robert Glover's book "No More Mr. Nice Guy", that to find a job you love working at, you need to find your passion, and also consider where you'd work if money was no object. Well, I don't really know how to interpret that or act on that. Does that mean that I should try to get a job at a gun store, if my "passion" is guns? I'm not sure if I am necessarily passionate about guns, but I do like guns, and I have for many, many years (even when my parents frowned upon it). I feel sometimes "passionate" about history, as I like history a lot and am very interested in it, but I'd never want to teach history (a lot reasons on that).

How do I find (what I'm passionate about in order to find) a job that I like, then? I was interested in making money, so I became a waiter, the same reason why I took all the jobs I've had in the past. Yet I hate this job and almost all of the other jobs I've had in the past. There isn't much that I am passionate about in my life, and I don't understand what distinguishes being "passionate" vs. liking something as a hobby or what-have-you. How do I figure this out?

Thank you so much, I appreciate any assistance.

2. anewversion

anewversion Fapstronaut

Tell us your hobbies.

I'm a computer geek so I work in the IT industry.

Your only 20 mate so don't disappear. I'm almost 40. You have a lot of time ahead of you.

3. DaveyCrockett

Thanks. (If these count) then my hobbies would be working out at the gym, shooting guns at a gun range, drawing guns and knives (I used to do that a lot when I was about 13 until I was about 16 or 17), reading about history...and driving my car? I like driving. I don't really have many hobbies. From the time I was about 4 or 5 years old, I played video games very frequently, up until now where I play them maybe once or twice a week...Despite the thousands of hours I have wasted on video games, I wouldn't want to work in a video game job, though.

I personally like computers, too, but not enough to consider it a hobby. I have relatives who work in IT and I personally wouldn't want to ever do it, unless like a manager when it's a lot easier than being in another position. But even then, I wouldn't want to do that.

I appreciate your response, anewversion.

4. DaveyCrockett

Also, if this counts, I enjoy writing even though I'm not very proficient at writing stories. I mean, I like writing as in journaling, if that could count as a hobby.

5. WhiskeyNeat

WhiskeyNeat Fapstronaut

Listen to the Ken Coleman podcast and maybe he can help you differentiate between hobbies and passions.

Ken says in that show to work where you can’t do you greatest talent while doing you greatest passion. So identify what are your greatest talents. You mention computers as being something you’re good with, and you seem to have an passion for guns and artillery, is there a way you can do computer work for a gun company?

I know my example is lame but you see how I got there. Maybe you need to be less specific too, maybe it’s not gunna you’re interested in and maybe it’s spirting goods. Maybe you have great people skills as a talent? Maybe you need to be in spirting goods sales.

Once you identify your passions and skills, let’s look at the company’s that fit you. It’s good that your asking the question! Good luck

Anonymous86 likes this.
  6. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

Find the stuff you keep doing, even when you should be doing something else. Is it music, making all the documents you write beautiful, finding interesting geeky methods for doing stuff - whatever. That should give you some idea of where to look. I'd also recommend the Strengthsfinder book - it's got some really good insights into the kinds of things you could be really good at

DaveyCrockett likes this.
  7. Augie

Augie Fapstronaut

I don’t really have any advice but I empathize since I’ve felt/and currently feel the same way. I just wanted to let you know you’re not alone in the world when it comes to this feeling.

DaveyCrockett likes this.
  8. DaveyCrockett

Thanks for your response, WhiskeyNeat. I do like computers and guns, and I like and am okay with Adobe Illustrator (took graphic design class in high school). So, maybe I could help companies like gun companies out if I worked there by creating advertisements. Furthermore, I know a tiny bit about advertising online, esp. on Facebook. Perhaps that'd be a type of position I could look into- honestly, I would do those things for free, I really do like guns and want to learn more about them so much. Thank you for the suggestion, WhiskeyNeat, I appreciate your help.

I see. Well, I suppose I like music, too, as I often sing a lot whenever I do a lot of things, at work or at home, basically when I am alone. I will look into the Strengthsfinder book, as well, Bombadil. Thanks for taking the time to write some advice for me, Bombadil. :)

9. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

You might want to consider the military, armory, arsenal, or advanced weapons systems research & development.

Other occupations you can browse through:
    https://www.bls.gov/ooh/