1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How Can People Tell I Am Still A Virgin? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Laffio, Jul 12, 2018.

Am I just being paranoid about my virginity?

1. Yeah dude no one can tell.

44 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. No it is really about how you carry yourself.

35 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. What Xavier brings up is definitely interesting from an academic standpoint, and in some cases I suppose it could be helpful to do this kind of unearthing of the past, but, with all due respect, I would imagine that for most of us what Xavier's suggesting would in effect be an over-complication of a pretty simple matter. We all have traumas and defense mechanisms: it's part of being human. We all have fucked up shit in our sex lives: that's part of being human too. None of which is to minimize actual sex crimes, but here I'm speaking to those of us who weren't raped or molested or incested. I suspect that you don't have layers of self deception you need to uncover, Laffio, and, if you do, I doubt that doing so would help you in any meaningful way. Just start interacting with girls (if that's what you want) and it'll get easier and less terrifying. The more you read into it, the more you'll stay stuck where you are. For myself, I've found the solution to my problems nearly always lies in action. It almost never lies in self-knowledge or self-discovery. Turning over my problems in my mind doesn't get me any closer to solving them. Acting on them does.

Digger and Laffio like this.
  2. Restartinglife

Restartinglife Fapstronaut

Wait! Hold up! I have your answer friend. But may I say your virginity is quite important lost it to someone important. Nobody will notice unless you show signs of being a virgin most virgins as I used to be made mistakes. Its not about losing it I'm more impressef if you keep it man.

Laffio likes this.
  3. Laffio

Laffio Fapstronaut

I have never been the type to "just go for it" but that approach has never worked for me. I want to be with someone I care for and the idea that I have caused this by being passive and guarded this whole time gives me anxiety about still being a virgin at 29.(Like damn am I subconciously being too picky; what are my standards?)

It's worse when I realize that I have rejected what could have been a number of sexual partners in my past. Like girls I actually were cool with but just never got that close to out of fear of being vulnerable. I don't think I am suppressing something as intense as what Xavier said but I want to work that out in my own time.

I will definitely learn more through action, salvacion, the problem is that I have to break this habit of "shutting down" when the opportunity to just make a friend arises. I am making an effort to talk to people when I go out now but I am still not advancing the conversations to a point of "we should hang out sometime" that takes time and what seems like a huge risk on my part. I have to go for it though if the other person (guy or girl) looks okay with being around me.

I was tempted earlier this year to join a hookup site and just play that numbers game but I want it to be more personal than what I assume stuff like tinder is. I'm just gonna not try to force it and if it happens it happens. I just have to get better at being around people and myself first. Thanks Restartinglife.

Also, I like how the survey is split so far; that's very interesting.

Digger and _Xavier_ like this.
  4. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

This is exactly the problem that I face. Having a hard time just going for it because I want to rather than because someone else. This is a function of having your will to explore and be curious crushed by those in power over you as a young child. In the book I recommended there is apparently a section for healing these issues we face.

Do you often have a hard time knowing what you want in life? Like choosing a career or other big questions.

Digger and Laffio like this.
  5. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

What is an over-complication? Reading a book that explains the "why's" and then getting through the section that is the "healing" is complicated? Its called self-help/self-knowledge. Forgive me but I'm feeling a little annoyed.

The traumas and defense mechanisms that exist because of child abuse are not "part of being human." They are part of having your life violated through violence. Sure, the vast majority of parents abuse their kids in one way or another. Does that make it innately human to use coercion against a small helpless child which is completely dependent on you for food, water, clothes, and medical care? If that is innately human, humanity is completely evil.

Action definitely helps, but if you don't learn about the root causes, your problems will find a way to replicate in your children because you failed to deal with the underlying issues. Look at the black community. 150 years after slavery and there is still a lot of violence and crime that goes on. They have a massive amount of sexual abuse and how many of them are out there advocating peaceful parenting and therapy? I can point to examples in my very own family that replicated themselves through the generations involving sexual abuse, beatings, neglect, and humiliation.

Dear god if you come out of this and just end up recreating this for your kids did you really fundamentally learn anything at all?

I will certainly give you credit for saying it requires action. It takes a lot of very uncomfortable action to fix this stuff.

Laffio and Abysmal habit like this.
  6. kingpietro

kingpietro Fapstronaut

Please don't poste psychological answers if you aren't a psyciater keep in mind that nofap isn't a doctor forum if you have issues see a medical advisor doctor, psyciater don't assume what other people say on the internet is true about you .

Laffio likes this.
  7. kingpietro

kingpietro Fapstronaut

Just wondering what is wrong with beeing a virgin ? maybe you want to have sex with a person you love and you are not ready for it in you're current stage of life wich is fine. its you're body you decide when to give it away and with wich person.

You care to much what other people thinx of you that is the problem not that you are a virgin.

If i was you i would say yes i am a virgin but i don't want to start dating i just need to get my life together. that would create a different reaction from people most people would laugh but some would accept it..

And about can people tell? Well they can see if you are happy and are confident if you aren't and are insecure when you are talking about relationships, sex then they will notice you're emotions and behavior and notice you aren't happy in you're life because you aren't dating. (doesn't mean they thinx you are a virgin) but they notice you are NEEDY want a woman..

Laffio likes this.
  8. Laffio

Laffio Fapstronaut

I am just feeling uncertain about all of this I guess. It's like I know I want someone even if I know that it wouldn't work for me right now. That frustrates me and is actually what led to my last relapse. I have to make changes so that I am actually ready when the right one for me comes along or I find her.

I'm trying to throw myself into staying busy but it's becoming overwhelming. I can't have a girlfriend right now; I'm spread too thin and feel too self centered. So yeah I will control those super needy moments better and not give off a needy vibe, kingpietro, and just be "in the moment".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

Recommending a book is different than being a mechanic and performing open heart surgery. A book is ideas, research, opinions, and experience. It is completely harmless and can lead to growth.

Most of what I posted is pretty widely accepted in the realm of psychology and I try to keep my information within the realm of factual reality - i.e. it has research behind it.

I am not telling you what to do, but I will put this into perspective by contrasting our posts to the OP:
    1. I did not once tell him what was true or false about his experience in my posts. I am pretty sure I was clear that I don't know everything by saying "maybe" or "it is a possibility."
    2. You, after telling me not to "psychologize" people if I am not a doctor, rejected his experience here...
    3. and told him things based on "If I was you I would..." which has no research basis.

I am not trying to condemn you or "catch you," but really?? Are you being serious? You did just what you told me not to do.

I recommended a fucking professional, dude.

You can look up any statistic on sexual abuse that I threw out here and most other things and find it buried in a research study somewhere.

Anyway, thats about it. By the way Laffio, I got to the "fixing" part of the book and it is powerful. In regard to controlling your neediness it is written in this book (I think this guy is a Phd in psychology and has counselled at least a thousand people) that control is a part of this problem of not being able to make connections. You absolutely are valid for needing. We all needed love and attention at one point, and some of us like you and I very likely did not get enough of it, basing that theory on our emotional reactions to intimacy.

Maybe an analogy could be this: If rigid structure such as a glass vase meets water, does the water that is poured into it have a connection with the vase? I think it has to conform to the vase. So when two people meet and one is rigid and self-controlling in regards to emotion, and the other forms around or into the controlling personality or habits by submitting their emotions to the rigid personality, is it a genuine connection?

Laffio likes this.
  10. Not trying to start a fight, man. And I'm not interested in getting into philosophical/psychological/historical debates or debates on developmental psychology. Laffio will make his own choices and have his own experience. I'm glad this book's helped you. Books haven't helped me in this area. Experience has helped me.

Laffio likes this.
  11. Laffio

Laffio Fapstronaut

All I can say ,salvacion and Xavier, is "different strokes for different folks". I can assume that there is no one right answer when it comes to expressing sexuality. I have basically done nothing since puberty to place myself in the position I actually want to be in terms of having or not having sex.

I am a virgin who is, a lot of the time, insecure about that fact. I could be a virgin who is not insecure but is actually proud of his self control if I just got over the idea that I am different or weird because of it.

I could and will most likely just get out more and try something, anything. I have talked to a few guys who I thought were like players and I have found out it takes a lot of effort to keep up a relationship or have regular sex partners. Alot of these guys get cheated on too; like I was stunned because they look and talk like the type of guys I assume girls would do anything to be with but no.

I took it as meaning I have just as much chance as any guy with any girl I want. I have to work in expressing my character really. So I have to find out who I really am first. If that means taking action and just asking women out to get rejections, fine I'll do that. If it means doing some research to connect my guarded personality with some issue from the past, fine I'll do that.

I know that what I have been doing for the past 17 years hasn't been working at all. So I am definitely open to any suggestion as to how to best approach living with my sexual inexperience. There are no wrong answers to me because, again, I have not tried anything that could lead to either sex or inner peace.

But honestly trying NoFap, posting on this forum, meditation, fasting, working out, taking karate lessons, playing piano, reading verses, improving my grooming habits, morning walks, and making a effort to talk to people have all helped immensely so far. I just need a final few pieces of this puzzle and I will find someone I care for I am sure of that! (Just myself or a very lucky woman)

12. Hey, listen, Xavier. I'm in the wrong here. I formulated my response in such a way that it was an argument. And you responded accordingly. That wasn't helpful on my end. Your story differs from mine, and that's OK. So I sincerely extend my apologies, and hopefully we can get back to building each other up. We're in this together.

_Xavier_ and Laffio like this.
  13. My apologies to you as well, Laffio. I started shit, and I shouldn't have. That's not the point of what we're doing here. That's not why we're here. We're all on these forums 'cause we have a problem and we're looking for support and solution. I was in the wrong.

Anyway, sounds like you're on a great fucking trajectory, my friend. Stay positive, keep trying things out, and there are gonna be some very happy, very lucky women out there who cross your path.

Laffio likes this.
  14. _Xavier_

_Xavier_ Fapstronaut

Hey man, we are here to learn, and making arguments is a great way to learn. Your point of action is definitely the most important point here, one that I struggle with because my "false self" defenses include analyzing shit to the next level (mostly outside of the books though). Yesterday I finally took some action which came out of that book I recommended and it was tough for me to do, but it felt great. I just try to merge evidence with my actions and I appreciate the stuff you brought up.

salvacion_a_888 and Laffio like this.
  15. Harricane

Harricane Fapstronaut

You had tell them about yourself. Because it's not easy to say about someone private.

Laffio likes this.
  16. Laffio

Laffio Fapstronaut

Oh that is actually true for alot of them, Neat_Sell :D. I guess they gossip about people alot but I can't stress over that. I'm going to focus on getting my life sorted and dating.

17. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It's a matter of being self assured.

Whether someone thinks you're a virgin or you're not.

Whether you are a virgin or you're not.

You would only react negatively towards other people's opinions if you felt some sort of shame about yourself.

It's not so much about the facts. It's mostly about how other people can get a reaction out of you.

You'll get teased if you're easy to bother. If you're easy to be embarrassed / shy / blush / serious / angry about something.

It's basically a big deal to others because you're making a big deal about it.

Laffio likes this.
  18. It's funny how for the last however many years all we've heard about is how we shouldn't feel guilty or ashamed of sex. The flipside of that is that now we have people who actually feel guilty/ashamed about not having sex. Because when you're worried about whether or not people think you're a virgin, what's actually happening is that you're feeling guilty/ashamed about it. Either way, this kind of guilt/shame is not good, and must be overcome

Jason_Tesla_19 and Laffio like this.
  19. Laffio

Laffio Fapstronaut

Yes, exactly! I understand what you are saying SuperFurryThing. It's not that the average person can pick up on a specific source of my shame or awkwardness, it's that they can sense my discomfort. If the current conversation is about a sexual topic they can simply put two and two together. I "confirm" their suspicion by trying to change the subject or more discomfort. I have to work on this by not being ashamed of it; I must own it! I just haven't met the right one yet but I am excited to continue trying!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Deleted Account likes this.
  20. Laffio

Laffio Fapstronaut

I haven't really been so expressive about it but I gave my virginity to someone last week (08/24/18)! I absolutely enjoyed it; she was patient with me and taught me alot. We met online, which is not where I expected to find my first sexual partner. I originally was using online dating to just practice talking to women and getting used to rejection.

She messaged me first and actually complemented me on my communication skills!:emoji_heart_eyes: So far I can say it was a blessing for this to happen when it did! We can't meet too often at the moment but perhaps that is for the best. We do still talk everyday and have planned alot of future dates together.

I don't feel "obsessed" with her like I somewhat feared would happen. We have both agreed to work towards having a real relationship in the near future. It's, like, a big boost to my self esteem to know that someone out there likes me for "me" and I feel the same way about her. At this point, I'm not too worried about the outcome and I'll just enjoy my time with her. No matter what happens, I'm just glad my first time was with someone that was mature about my inexperience.

NoFap prepared me for this chance meeting. I will continue to work towards a full recovery because I want to become my best self for her and our potential future together. Even if it's not with her, I know now that finding dates is not impossible. Thank you all!

Also my social awkwardness was not from my lack of sexual experience but from my low self esteem and desire to be accepted. I'm kind of on a "IDGAF" mentality now because of NoFap!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018